Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S, bought an Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main point is the EPA range is useless for comparing cars.

Efficiency will come into play for cross country road trips, but day-to-day it doesn't matter much.
What matters more IMO is the Mach-e is the same price as the Y, but still eligible for the $7500 federal rebate.
Again that is only useful for people who can take advantage of the Tax Credit. I couldn't myself until last year.

I dodged the bullet and almost bought a Limited AWD (this guy bought the one I gave up at the same dealership - he's selling it a week later):

It drives great but the range with the 20" wheels is terrible. 225 miles on the highway (70-75mph) here in warm Florida. This beats the EPA highway numbers too (MPGe highway 87 is one of the worst of the modern EVs) EPA estimates 190 miles (87 MPGe with the 77 kWh battery).

I would buy the SEL AWD with 19" wheels to get 250 miles of range.
The 2022 battery pack size for the ioniq5 is equivalent to what the battery pack size was on the 2020 Model Y. Given what’s coming out this year and onwards it doesn’t make any sense to get the ioniq5. On a sidenote, even the current Model 3 which has a smaller chassis has a larger pack.

Hi, original poster here.

After my final trip to the Service center (which turned into three trips to the service center, and included the car dying at the stoplight two blocks from the service center.. and a tow that the police made me pay for and for which I am still waiting for reimbursement from Tesla..phew. Did I mention I originally went in for the Frunk recall). Anyway…. I had a serious heart to heart with the service manager.

He thought the new Model Y’s from Texas would be better built. I started looking at those, but the wait was December 2022. I couldn’t do that. The M3 feels uncomfortable to me and I’ve driven them frequently, so that was out.

I originally bought the Model S because My work requires me to drive 140 miles (one way, mostly interstate) to a worksite once a week. I was convinced I needed the 405 mile range. I also am usually really tired when I come home and I wanted the autopilot assist.

The commute was great with the S. I didn’t have to charge more than once round trip (some trips I didn’t charge at all once I got more comfortable) and the superchargers were so easy, right at the rest stops. Also I found out that my work parking has available free chargers. Bonus.

But in looking for a new car I realized I could have more flexibility with the range, because I didn’t need 405.

I originally was going to do a RAV 4 Prime for a couple of years and then try a Lucid. Or give Tesla another shot. But I test dove that prime and I just had no joy. I could not do it. Plus the dealers were absolutely insane with the markups in my range. No.

So I started looking at EV options. And I hadn even heard of this car and wa reluctant since it’s a new model and I don’t usually buy first year models. So I’m nervous about that. But I test drive one and I really liked it.

I picked up the car at 8 pm and had to drive it home 75 miles or so. Ther is either an unbalanced tire or a deformed tire and it was shaking above 55 so I drove home at 50. Not a promising start, but others have had the same which was slightly comforting. Drive below 50 was lovely. The interior is to me, very nice. Love, love the HUD, seems quieter than my Tesla, stereo I was prepared to be poor but it was definitely better than my Tesla (pre-refresh 2021 S). But also I didn’t exceed 50 mph! I left the following morning for a work trip and not back until Sunday. I’m taking it to the shop on Tuesday to have the tires looked at. I wanted to give myself one day to drive it around and play.

I do miss, and will miss, the simplify of the Tesla UI. It was easy. I liked walking up to a car, getting in and going, and then leaving the car wothit a backward glance. I hate dealing with a key. I can walk up to the ioniq and the handles present. Haven’t tried the walking away yet. But I don’t like hitting a start button. Small thing.

I haven’t made the commute trip yet, as I’m doing some local-only work for the next couple of months. I do think I will Probsvly have to drive more slowly than I did in the S, because I have read the range concerns.

So it may not work for the range thing. But this is a two year experiment for me. Then I will have more choice. I can definitely say I am done with ICE.

I will definitely keep you posted. I’m not a Tesla hater, I loved it. But I was just done with the service issues.

Thanks for the initial write-up of your experience @Sances! As someone who is very interested in an Ionic 5 (or EV6) as a potential 2nd EV in the future, I am very interested to hear of your continued experience as someone coming from a Tesla. 👍
You are welcome...I will definitely give you more thoughts when I actually get to drive it again. I have two more days on this trip (flew, didn't drive), and then really looking forward to spending some time putting it through it's paces. In the meantime, I am watching the videos trying to figure this interface out...

Reactions: Zer0t and tm1v2
Finally home and got to spend the day playing with the car.

Better than Tesla:
Spacious feeling in front seats.
Luxury touches (HUD, ventilated seats, 360 camera view, hooks to hang my jacket)
Quiet.
Adjustable regen braking options.
Blind spot warning (I know many Teslas now have this, mine did not)
Cool factor (honestly, I didn't really expect the comments and questions). Also kind of fun at the Electrify America Station, visiting with all the newbie owners.
Free EA charging for two years.
Highway Driving Assist 2. Coming from Autopilot (not FSD), this is a plus because it does the navigate on Autopilot and the automatic lane change. Plus the park assist where it can pull in and out of a tight space. I've tried everything except the park assist. Works great!

Missing my Tesla:
That map, miss that huge, crisp map.
Walkaway door locks (very, very much)
Not having to press a start button. Just get in and drive. (amazing how lazy you can get)
Range (although I knew I didn't need the range of the S when I bought this car, so it should be fine. Have not tested it yet)
OTA software updates. Ioniq requires you download it to a drive and load manually. Supposedly they are changing to an OTA function, but not up yet.

Same-ish:
Fun to drive!
Audio performance
Storage for me (definitely smaller in the Hyundai, but I don't care)

Haven't tried yet:
Electrify America on a long trip
Service

I spent today driving it around. It was a great day.

Highway Driving Assist 2. Coming from Autopilot (not FSD), this is a plus because it does the navigate on Autopilot and the automatic lane change. Plus the park assist where it can pull in and out of a tight space. I've tried everything except the park assist. Works great!

Quite curious about how well their adaptive cruise / autopilot equivalent works. As an owner of vision only MY, one of my big issues with the car is the TACC's tendency to slam on the brakes on 2 lane, non-divided highways.
Walkaway door locks (very, very much)
Not having to press a start button. Just get in and drive. (amazing how lazy you can get)
Ugh. Yeah, both of these things very quickly spoil you. I'd definitely miss those for too.

Thanks for sharing! It's great to hear from someone who has moved from a Tesla to an alternative and competitive EV!

Hi sckor,

I only tried the adaptive cruise/autopilot on a divided highway, so can't comment. I was hovering for sure, because I had some of the phantom braking in my S (although I had radar). This car has radar too. Ioniq did very well with merging traffic from the right, coming up on slowing traffic, and no problems deciding where to go when in a lane that could either exit or continue straight. It also performed the proper exit, but then I turned it off because I was uncomfortable with the speed control off the exit (knew we were coming up to a light quickly...car did not). It did very well with the automated lane change, which I didn't have in the Tesla. It waited appropriately if someone was coming up quickly on my left.

Every damn time I exit the car, I leave it running and have to get back in and turn it off. Wonder how long that habit will take to break. But I did find that while I do not have walkaway doors...I can lock it by touching the door handle so don't need to pull out a key. Helps a ton.

But I am figuring out the customization now and I like it a lot. It has more choices than the S, but now that I have set it the way I want it, I can manage it well and I can see more things easily. Have only tried voice control on calls and navigation, which worked well, but need to start trying out more difficult tasks.

Wish it would stay in the "I pedal" mode, which is one pedal driving. It resets after each drive. I hope they change this.

Still looking for the sweet spot for seat/steering wheel/driving position. I'm bracketing. And I just got into a friend's brand new Infiniti and I melted into those seats. These seats cannot compare.

That's all I got. Very happy with it.

My 93.4 kWh battery Taycan 4s gets 337 miles on a charge, it's not far off my my MS LR 2020 which is rated at 403 but get's more like 351.
Did you notice that Tesla has changed the range on 2023 LR MS on the website? It's now 375. My Plaid was reduced to 348. I think it was about 397 last year when I placed my order. These are full range 100% numbers. My daily 80% is 310

After three Tesla's I've forgotten to turn off my truck more than a few times.

Last edited:
Did you notice that Tesla has changed the range on 2023 LR MS on the website? It's now 375. My Plaid was reduced to 348. I think it was about 397 last year when I placed my order. These are full range 100% numbers. My daily 80% is 310
I did not but I'm guessing those numbers are more realistic. During my MS ownership there was a software update that added rated range (calculated) but I never noticed any change at all.

@Cal1 Tesla USA website still shows 405 miles EPA rating for base Model S (formerly LR) and 396 miles EPA for S Plaid. Just need to select the 19" wheels.

Opps you're right I've been burned by that before! God it's hell getting old!
Tesla is just trying to keep their margins up. Won't someone think of poor TSLA? Please buy the bigger wheels. 😁

I'm sure they track the effect of changing the default wheel config on the website, and I bet changing the default to extra-cost wheels does make a meaningful increase in the percentage of cars ordered with them.

The possible downside would be if it reduces total number of cars purchased due to scaring away buyers from the lesser advertised range or higher price. Quantifying that would take setting up the website to randomly show a different default wheel to different viewers. Which maybe they have? We both say bigger wheels as the default but that's only 2 samples.