Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S, bought an Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally home and got to spend the day playing with the car.

Better than Tesla:
Spacious feeling in front seats.
Luxury touches (HUD, ventilated seats, 360 camera view, hooks to hang my jacket)
Quiet.
Adjustable regen braking options.
Blind spot warning (I know many Teslas now have this, mine did not)
Cool factor (honestly, I didn't really expect the comments and questions). Also kind of fun at the Electrify America Station, visiting with all the newbie owners.
Free EA charging for two years.
Highway Driving Assist 2. Coming from Autopilot (not FSD), this is a plus because it does the navigate on Autopilot and the automatic lane change. Plus the park assist where it can pull in and out of a tight space. I've tried everything except the park assist. Works great!

Missing my Tesla:
That map, miss that huge, crisp map.
Walkaway door locks (very, very much)
Not having to press a start button. Just get in and drive. (amazing how lazy you can get)
Range (although I knew I didn't need the range of the S when I bought this car, so it should be fine. Have not tested it yet)
OTA software updates. Ioniq requires you download it to a drive and load manually. Supposedly they are changing to an OTA function, but not up yet.

Same-ish:
Fun to drive!
Audio performance
Storage for me (definitely smaller in the Hyundai, but I don't care)

Haven't tried yet:
Electrify America on a long trip
Service

I spent today driving it around. It was a great day.
Thanks for this - great to hear your perspective coming from your Tesla. I personally am holding out for the GV60 (same architecture as the Ioniq 5 and EV6) then compare, but I honestly haven't found/watched/read any negative Ioniq 5 reviews yet!

I was up in Collingwood, Ontario the past few days and saw an Ioniq 5. It was a very snowy day, and I was shocked with the amount of snow that accumulated on the rear window. Clearly in snowy conditions this is a problem with no wiper. Mind you I had no idea if the rear defrost was on, but it we clearly visible that the rear window is a potential problem in these conditions.

Would love to read about AP vs HDA2 from a Tesla owner...

Assuming its the same system in my wife's Kia Telluride, I can provide some insight as I have just received my Model Y a week ago. The Telluride was the first car we had owned that had highway "autopilot" and I was pretty impressed with it, at least until I got my Model Y. The Telluride can't handle bends in the road, even struggles on small ones. Still nice to have and probably better than most manufacturers, but the Model Y Autopilot is substantially better.

My only gripe with Tesla Autopilot is when switching lanes you need to reengage autopilot. On the Telluride it automatically engages again after moving into the new lane. I am hoping Tesla fixes this on a future OTA update.

Assuming its the same system in my wife's Kia Telluride, I can provide some insight as I have just received my Model Y a week ago. The Telluride was the first car we had owned that had highway "autopilot" and I was pretty impressed with it, at least until I got my Model Y. The Telluride can't handle bends in the road, even struggles on small ones. Still nice to have and probably better than most manufacturers, but the Model Y Autopilot is substantially better.

My only gripe with Tesla Autopilot is when switching lanes you need to reengage autopilot. On the Telluride it automatically engages again after moving into the new lane. I am hoping Tesla fixes this on a future OTA update.

Same with BlueCruise. I find the Autopilot system disengages too easily.

Also, the Telluride has the full suite of safety features... I just recently bought an SX and can compare. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 are trimmed down versions of it. I don't think either have an audible warning "when you signal and there is somebody in your blind spot" and the cross traffic alerts are watered down. I had 5 test drives on the Korean twins didn't experience any of those features. Heck the Ioniq 5 SE doesn't even have a front sensor and only the top trim ($56K) has a 360 camera.

My only gripe with Tesla Autopilot is when switching lanes you need to reengage autopilot... I am hoping Tesla fixes this on a future OTA update.
First time I've heard of this anywhere. Maybe you're describing some scenario I'm not aware of, but AP on highways will prompt you to confirm lane changes, but would never disengage because of it. Care to elaborate a bit more? I'm really curious.

First time I've heard of this anywhere. Maybe you're describing some scenario I'm not aware of, but AP on highways will prompt you to confirm lane changes, but would never disengage because of it. Care to elaborate a bit more? I'm really curious.

You must have FSD? Without FSD AP disengages when switching lanes and then you need to reengage AP (double tap down on stalk) once in the new lane.

I probably shouldn't have used the term "fix" because it isn't technically broken as they must intend for it to work that way for some reason. I would just prefer for it to automatically reengage once the lane change has commenced.

Reactions: mangrove79
I had no idea! Yes, I do have FSD and assumed that's a basic feature shared with standard AP. I agree that if that's the behavior of AP alone, it's a "lack" of functionality. I wonder why I haven't read any similar complaints until now. :rolleyes:

I had no idea! Yes, I do have FSD and assumed that's a basic feature shared with standard AP. I agree that if that's the behavior of AP alone, it's a "lack" of functionality. I wonder why I haven't read any similar complaints until now. :rolleyes:
You must have missed them because I knew about this "issue" before I even picked up my first Tesla a week or so ago. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does...gets really annoying if you are constantly switching to the left lane to pass then back to the right lane after passing the car(s). Our Tellluride automatically reengages and I very much prefer how Kia does it. With that said, the AP does work way better than Kia's.

@mangrove79 I've read many complaints about it on these forums.

In the past Tesla offered Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which included lane change functionality and was cheaper than FSD. So to some extent complaints may have been mitigated by availability of EAP. However since new sales of EAP have been discontinued, the only way to get EAP features is $10k+ for FSD, which is hugely expensive if you really just want auto lane changing.

Personally the need to disengage and re-engage Autosteer for lane changes doesn't bother me at all, but it definitely bothers many on these forums, I've seen many complaints about it. I'm not a heavy user of Autosteer in the first place though, and when I do use it, it's in light traffic situations where I've little reason to change lanes. TACC/ACC is the killer driver assist feature to me and that stays engaged as I change lanes. :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
You must have missed them because I knew about this "issue" before I even picked up my first Tesla a week or so ago. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does...gets really annoying if you are constantly switching to the left lane to pass then back to the right lane after passing the car(s). Our Tellluride automatically reengages and I very much prefer how Kia does it. With that said, the AP does work way better than Kia's.
No kidding. I took it for granted as that's the way it works for everyone. I would be annoyed as well if I used AP a lot. I personally love driving so I rarely use AP, only when I'm super tired after playing intense sports and have to make a long drive. I use FSD beta for testing purposes more than I use AP on the highway.

I have FSD but manually pass most of the time.

I prefer to get around vehicles (especially semis), faster than what FSD does. Yes, I know I can adjust speed for AP but I don’t. I also move over in the lane away from the other vehicle if possible.

I don’t find reengaging AP cumbersome at all.