Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S, bought an Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S was my dream car and I had 15 months of great fun. Thank you, Tesla, for converting me to electric vehicles. I would have kept it forever, but the most reliable thing about if was that it was in the service center every six weeks. I just couldn't take it anymore. (My sister has owned two without incident, so I know there are good ones out there...I just didn't have one).

But I am excited to see how many vehicles are coming to market, and looking forward to the next several years as our choices multiply.

You all on this forum were very helpful to me in trying to diagnose problems this year. Thank you!

@Takumi : I much prefer having a rear wiper too, but it's not like Tesla puts one on any of their cars...
Yeah, that's the problem. Tesla doesn't need it (rear camera does though). It's not really a deal breaker. I could just do the same thing I did back in the day when the rear wiper was broken - carry a squeegee.

But I still would like to know how fast and how much that rear window accumulates dirt.

Yeah, sorry you got a lemon. Hope your Ioniq does you better! My dream car turned into four Teslas, all perfect, never a service visit in 260,000 miles. Since you knew it was a lemon, I'm interested that you didn't just go buy another Tesla, but hey, it's your decision. I love mine. All of them. I think all of us here would like to know how the Ioniq compares at 50 and 100 thousand miles.

I dodged the bullet and almost bought a Limited AWD (this guy bought the one I gave up at the same dealership - he's selling it a week later):

It drives great but the range with the 20" wheels is terrible. 225 miles on the highway (70-75mph) here in warm Florida. This beats the EPA highway numbers too (MPGe highway 87 is one of the worst of the modern EVs) EPA estimates 190 miles (87 MPGe with the 77 kWh battery).

I would buy the SEL AWD with 19" wheels to get 250 miles of range.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I dodged the bullet and almost bought a Limited AWD (this guy bought the one I gave up at the same dealership - he's selling it a week later):

It drives great but the range with the 20" wheels is terrible. 225 miles on the highway (70-75mph) here in warm Florida. This beats the EPA highway numbers too (MPGe highway 87 is one of the worst of the modern EVs) EPA estimates 190 miles (87 MPGe with the 77 kWh battery).

I would buy the SEL AWD with 19" wheels to get 250 miles of range.
@voxel Ouch, that's some harsh EV reality there. A Model 3 LR would have served that person better at a very comparable price. (Also nice job keeping tabs on a car you almost bought. ;))

Reminds me of the original owner of my Model S. She was regularly driving between homes in two cities, really pushing the limits of the car's range when factoring in the typical speeds on those highways. I think she ended up having to supercharge a lot. The logistics didn't work well for her so she sold the car after a year.

Reactions: voxel
@voxel Also nice job keeping tabs on a car you almost bought.
There were maybe 3 digital teal Limiteds in Florida. He posted the window sticker and also mentioned he bought it last week (the day I gave it up since I was taking delivery of a Model Y a day later)… it all clicked lol.

I didn’t expect the Ioniq 5 to be so inefficient on the highway. The EPA numbers don’t lie. It’s very much a city car. EPA numbers show that the EV6 is only a tad more efficient on the highway. Both have high efficiency numbers for city driving probably due to their regen.

There were maybe 3 digital teal Limiteds in Florida. He posted the window sticker and also mentioned he bought it last week (the day I gave it up since I was taking delivery of a Model Y a day later)… it all clicked lol.

I didn’t expect the Ioniq 5 to be so inefficient on the highway. The EPA numbers don’t lie. It’s very much a city car. EPA numbers show that the EV6 is only a tad more efficient on the highway. Both have high efficiency numbers for city driving probably due to their regen.
Aerodynamics are definitely in play when comparing the Ioniq 5 to the EV6 to Model 3/Y. The Ioniq is attractively styled, but it doesn't do it any favors in the wind tunnel. The biggest mystery is why the RWD and AWD have such different EPA numbers on the Ioniq 5 when they allegedly have clutch disconnect on the front motor.

Aerodynamics are definitely in play when comparing the Ioniq 5 to the EV6 to Model 3/Y. The Ioniq is attractively styled, but it doesn't do it any favors in the wind tunnel. The biggest mystery is why the RWD and AWD have such different EPA numbers on the Ioniq 5 when they allegedly have clutch disconnect on the front motor.

RWD and AWD aren’t that different. AWD EPA tests include the 20” wheels (all RWD trims use 19” wheels) which in the Norwegian winter race showed the worst drop off. AWD can run in eco mode with the front motor disengaged but that has a minimal effect.

For sure aerodynamics plays a part too. It’s why the EV6 has more range with the same platform and battery.

Reactions: miimura
I don’t trust the EPA numbers at all. The Model Y has a better rating than the Mach-e, yet the Ford goes further in independent testing. The Taycan has a 200 mile rating, while it easily achieves 1/3 more in the same driving conditions Teslas require to meet their EPA rating.

Too many inconsistencies, starting with the multiple “cycles” or test methodologies that the manufacturer can choose. I wouldn’t even consider the EPA number when purchasing an EV.

I would take WLTP, since it is consistent across the board, and multiply it by .7 or look at independent testing from C&D, Bjorn Nyland, etc.

Another thing to note is the Hyundai/Kia charges at a very high rate, so total trip times (driving + charging) for this car are among the best out there.

Do those fast charging times count fiddling with a phone app and reparking the car across 3 spots because the charge port placement doesn't match the charger parking spot placement?

Granted the Ioniq 5 charge port location is better than Mach-E. Does the Ioniq 5 support ISO 15118 Plug & Charge or are phone apps, credit cards, support calls, etc still needed to get a charge going?

Last fall I came really close to buying a non-Tesla EV, I really wanted to give another brand a try, but its charging situation was wholly inferior. I'm not just talking about number of Superchargers vs CCS1 DCFC (though there is a problematic CCS1 gap in an area I frequent). *Everything* about charging that car seemed wholly inferior. It wasn't an Ioniq 5, that wasn't out yet, but the issue was never "is the charge rate quick enough?" The issue was everything else about charging. The Ioniq 5's fast charging curve sounds great but it completely misses the issues I had with charging a non-Tesla EV.

My new M3P fast charges quick enough, I wouldn't want to trade away the smooth Supercharger experience just for an even quicker charging curve. Nor would I give up having features like scheduled charging and scheduled departure builtin to the car - who wants to spend $700-800 on an overpriced "smart" J1772 wall connector just to get those, when the computers in an EV are plenty of capable of handling that themselves? Other EV makes should focus more on improving their whole charging experience, and investing in DCFC coverage beyond the VW settlement funds.

Last edited:
I don’t trust the EPA numbers at all. The Model Y has a better rating than the Mach-e, yet the Ford goes further in independent testing. The Taycan has a 200 mile rating, while it easily achieves 1/3 more in the same driving conditions Teslas require to meet their EPA rating.

Too many inconsistencies, starting with the multiple “cycles” or test methodologies that the manufacturer can choose. I wouldn’t even consider the EPA number when purchasing an EV.

I would take WLTP, since it is consistent across the board, and multiply it by .7 or look at independent testing from C&D, Bjorn Nyland, etc.

Another thing to note is the Hyundai/Kia charges at a very high rate, so total trip times (driving + charging) for this car are among the best out there.
You're talking about a battery that is about 22KWH bigger in the Mach-E. From a efficiency perspective its not that close.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Do those fast charging times count fiddling with a phone app and reparking the car across 3 spots because the charge port placement doesn't match the charger parking spot placement?
Yes, I agree completely. EA for some of us is bad.
Granted the Ioniq 5 charge port location is better than Mach-E. Does the Ioniq 5 support ISO 15118 Plug & Charge or are phone apps, credit cards, support calls, etc still needed to get a charge going?
It does, but of course it is not activated yet. I mean, why activate it before selling the car? - hyundai execs, probably.. lol :)
Last fall I came really close to buying a non-Tesla EV, I really wanted to give another brand a try, but its charging situation was wholly inferior. I'm not just talking about number of Superchargers vs CCS1 DCFC (though there is a problematic CCS1 gap in an area I frequent). *Everything* about charging that car seemed wholly inferior. It wasn't an Ioniq 5, that wasn't out yet, but the issue was never "is the charge rate quick enough?" The issue was everything else about charging. The Ioniq 5's fast charging curve sounds great but it completely misses the issues I had with charging a non-Tesla EV.

My new M3P fast charges quick enough, I wouldn't want to trade away the smooth Supercharger experience just for an even quicker charging curve. Nor would I give up having features like scheduled charging and scheduled departure builtin to the car - who wants to spend $700-800 on an overpriced "smart" J1772 wall connector just to get those, when the computers in an EV are plenty of capable of handling that themselves? Other EV makes should focus more on improving their whole charging experience, and investing in DCFC coverage beyond the VW settlement funds.
That will depend on the specific car. Porsche owners report very good experiences with initiating charges.

Scheduled departure is built into non-Teslas too, again depends on the car.

I test drove the Y and found it to be a very harsh ride. I returned it after about 10 minutes on two separate tests. I wasn't overly impressed by the ride in my Model 3, though it was a lot better. I sold it after about 2 years. I can somewhat forgive the lack of a center screen and physical controls, but until they get up to speed on suspension I will be driving other cars.

You're talking about a battery that is about 22KWH bigger in the Mach-E. From a efficiency perspective its not that close.
The main point is the EPA range is useless for comparing cars.

Efficiency will come into play for cross country road trips, but day-to-day it doesn't matter much.
What matters more IMO is the Mach-e is the same price as the Y, but still eligible for the $7500 federal rebate.

I test drove the Y and found it to be a very harsh ride. I returned it after about 10 minutes on two separate tests. I wasn't overly impressed by the ride in my Model 3, though it was a lot better. I sold it after about 2 years. I can somewhat forgive the lack of a center screen and physical controls, but until they get up to speed on suspension I will be driving other cars.
@polyphonic54 I certainly agree with those critiques. The ride + wind noise on the Y I tested was a deal-killer to me, though my wife was able to tolerate it. The 3 is not class-leading in either regard but it's much better, and also handles better, just more fun to toss around. Of course the 3 sedan is terrible for hauling stuff and the back seat is bad for adults...but we still have our old S. :)

I do have fancy dampers + matching springs on order for our M3P (Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV). I don't feel the car *needs* them, it rides fine by my standards (especially on 18" wheels now) and is a blast even with the poorly controlled stock suspension, but for sure it could benefit from an upgrade!

Reactions: polyphonic54

My 93.4 kWh battery Taycan 4s gets 337 miles on a charge, it's not far off my my MS LR 2020 which is rated at 403 but get's more like 351.

Efficiency will come into play for cross country road trips, but day-to-day it doesn't matter much.
What matters more IMO is the Mach-e is the same price as the Y, but still eligible for the $7500 federal rebate.
Ford is about to lock down 2022 orders this Friday for the Mach-E. This means if you were to order now you’d probably get 50% or 25% tax credit since Ford is expected to hit 200K the quarter the Lightning launches and Mach-E are taking almost a year to produce. My October orders have not even been scheduled for production. That’s four months so far and two production months have been booked and… production just halted completely in Mexico. I’m basically not expecting one for 6-8 months now. Heck… could be 10-12 more months.