Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my MS, Referral Link Deactivated, No Access to Ref Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was jost wondering if this has happened to anyone else so far. I was on track to reach 20 this year (close to 60 total), had 14/15 delivered from the previous rounds this year and was at 3/5 for the current round, hoping to reach 20 soon and see who gets all of theirs delivered first.

But since we're about to move to Spain, I had to sell my only MS. As soon as Tesla had transferred ownership to the new owner, my MyTesla page stopped displaying my referral count and all other info, I lost access to the Tesla app, and upon inquiring with the [email protected] email address, I received the following, very charming reply:

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for contacting us regarding the Tesla Referral Program.

Upon the event that you purchase a new Model S or Model X, your referral link will be reactivated.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

I already tweeted to Elon Musk about it, but I'm not really hoping for any response from him. I don't really feel treated like the "VIP referrer" I was invited to the factory tour and private M3 showing as...

Thoughts on how I can get my ref link reactivated or at least regain access to my referral count?

Thanks in advance!

For what it’s worth, I had access to the mytesla page and a referral link when I had a model 3 reservation (I since bought a model S and cancelled the model 3 reservation). It’s a terrible way to tie up $1000, but if you got really desperate you could always buy a model 3 reservation to reactivity your account and cancel it later.

Seems like a valid response from Tesla. Similar to losing your company stock options when you quit.
No one loses their vested options when leaving their employer. There are 10 days (or more?) after leaving to purchase the ISO from the company at the purchase price. RSUs are theirs to keep; whatever is vested. Besides, it is a known process, so no one is caught by surprise.

Reactions: Bengineer
I guess I don't understand the issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No access to my referral counts -> no way of verifying what prizes I'm entitled to, completely at the mercy of (known to make lots of mistakes regarding the referral program) Tesla.

Also, why does someone who has proven to be a valuable asset to Tesla suddenly lose the privilege of being able to continue securing sales for them, simply due to the fact that they hwd to sell their car and probably won't be able to afford another one very soon (MS starts at €80k ($90k) in Spain, and I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced used listings whatsoever)?

Seems like a valid response from Tesla. Similar to losing your company stock options when you quit.

I
No one loses their vested options when leaving their employer. There are 10 days (or more?) after leaving to purchase the ISO from the company at the purchase price. RSUs are theirs to keep; whatever is vested. Besides, it is a known process, so no one is caught by surprise.

The unanswered question is whether OP will get the referral gifts for the credits he received/cars which were delivered while he owned his car. If he does (and I think he should/will), then all seems right imho: using the stock analogy, one doesn't get to vest options after leaving a company (with minor exceptions). Just like options are available to employees, not former employees,, ref codes are available to current owner, not past owners.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
No access to my referral counts -> no way of verifying what prizes I'm entitled to, completely at the mercy of (known to make lots of mistakes regarding the referral program) Tesla.

Also, why does someone who has proven to be a valuable asset to Tesla suddenly lose the privilege of being able to continue securing sales for them, simply due to the fact that they hwd to sell their car and probably won't be able to afford another one very soon (MS starts at €80k ($90k) in Spain, and I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced used listings whatsoever)?

Well, I assume you are entitled to whatever awards you qualified for before you sold your vehicle. However, my understanding is that the incentives are afforded to those that own Teslas. Anything after you sold your vehicle, regardless of how prolific you've been, would not count. I don't think the circumstance of relinquishing your vehicle should come into play.

Reactions: bonnie
Same thing happened to me. Your past referrals and (pending) awards are intact.

But since you are no longer an owner, your referral code won't work. Unfortunately, those are the rules.

Being worried about what may happen, before my sold car was transferred to the new owner, I saved local copies of the MyTesla page and all the referral history.