Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Sold my Tesla yesterday - No Sellers Remorse Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
1618446556216.gif

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.
I'm sure you're not alone in hoping that happens. ;)

The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. And hopefully in the not too distant future, Tesla will have a model that will fit you as well as (or even better than) The new BMW.

Enjoy your new ride... we'll still be here when you come back. ;)

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
(personal opinion only, not representative of TMC or anyone else but myself)

This may be a tesla forum, but I keep saying there is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it relates to stuff like cars. There IS no "best" just "best for me, right now" or "best for you, right now".

So, OP, Its great that you found something for yourself that you like.

Saying that, however, one thing I have never really understood personally, is a need to "tell everyone, everything". I dont get the desire to come to a tesla board, and say (basically) bye bye everyone!

I dont care one way or another, really, but I dont "understand" it. All you accomplish is opening yourself up to people who may not agree with your position, for a discussion you should no longer care about having.

Now, for full disclosure, I dont have (or intend to ever have) a facebook account. I dont post to twitter, I dont do instagram. I really dont get the desire a lot of people have to "share" everything. I started my participation here because I wanted to learn. If I didnt have a tesla anymore, I likely wouldnt be here on this website. I might hang around for a bit to share what I know with others, to try to help them, but I would probably just fade away.

So, while I am really glad you found something you like, that fits for you, and am FIRMLY in the belief that the right vehicle for someone is the one they determine is the right one, I dont get the desire to create a thread about it.

Shrug... I probably dont get it because I dont believe in sharing on social media unless ones job / income is derived by advertising.

You’ve got to go with what suits you and quite frankly it depends on where you are coming from.

I was coming from a used Subaru BRZ with aftermarket suspension and frameless windows. The suspension in my new 21 M3 LR is more comfortable handling bad roads. The interior is much quieter than the BRZ.

They both corner flat but the BRZ was much more nimble and tossable while the M3 accelerates so much more quickly.

Both put a smile on my face while driving but I’m preferring the comfort of the M3 currently.

Reactions: JohnnyEV
Any kind of ICE or exhaust note remorse left the day I went to pickup my M3P in Feb. I stopped at the Gas station to make sure my trade in (2019 Charger Scat 392) had more than 1/4 tank of Gas when I got there. The thing takes 89 and it cost me almost $40 for a half a tank (CA) :oops:. I took it as sign that this was the right time to make this move. I can only imagine prices when summer comes around. On a side note and maybe it's because I've always been a tech nerd, but this is definitely the best car I have ever owned and is the car for me :cool:

I'm sure you felt Tesla's growing pains with your early Model 3, but I expect you didn't fully calculate the cost of depreciation with your new mystery ICE, because whatever it is, it's surely more expensive than an S or X in the long term, which would have gotten you the luxury you crave.

Also, most cars have frameless windows. Tesla 3's have more wind noise because of some of the cost/weight saving approaches, not because of the window style.

2015-rolls-royce-wraith-door-open-2-1000x750.jpg

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.

This is a serious question.
Can you run climate control for about 1 hour without running the engine on 330e?

I sit in the car during my lunch break and this is the biggest reason I have a Tesla (EV).

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I felt the same way when I drove a Model S loaner while Model 3 was being repaired. So I traded my Model 3 for an X. I really wanted an S but the only way I could justify the trade was if the upgrade could tow. Initially I thought the S could tow. No regrets with the X. But yeah, Model 3 is loud and rides harsh and it gnaws at you after a while. I have trouble recommending it to folks.

(personal opinion only, not representative of TMC or anyone else but myself)

This may be a tesla forum, but I keep saying there is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it relates to stuff like cars. There IS no "best" just "best for me, right now" or "best for you, right now".

So, OP, Its great that you found something for yourself that you like.

Saying that, however, one thing I have never really understood personally, is a need to "tell everyone, everything". I dont get the desire to come to a tesla board, and say (basically) bye bye everyone!

I dont care one way or another, really, but I dont "understand" it. All you accomplish is opening yourself up to people who may not agree with your position, for a discussion you should no longer care about having.

Now, for full disclosure, I dont have (or intend to ever have) a facebook account. I dont post to twitter, I dont do instagram. I really dont get the desire a lot of people have to "share" everything. I started my participation here because I wanted to learn. If I didnt have a tesla anymore, I likely wouldnt be here on this website. I might hang around for a bit to share what I know with others, to try to help them, but I would probably just fade away.

So, while I am really glad you found something you like, that fits for you, and am FIRMLY in the belief that the right vehicle for someone is the one they determine is the right one, I dont get the desire to create a thread about it.

Shrug... I probably dont get it because I dont believe in sharing on social media unless ones job / income is derived by advertising.
I love it that this came from a mod. It must be tough for you seeing all the arguments and wondering “but whyyyy would they share that in the first place” :) Things I wouldn’t have expected for 10 points.

Hybrid cars should have been phased out at least 10 years ago.
This is like the amphibians species.

The only way to lower pollution is to stop making ICE engines.
Car battery technology is very mature and BEVs start cheaper than any Hybrid vehicle.

Car manufacturers drag their feet because by replacing ICE engines and multi gear automatics gears-boxes
with electrical motors and single fix gear gear-boxes,
manufacturers will have to lay off hundred thousand workers and close many factories.

A good point about why did I post. It wasn’t to say “bye” or dump on Tesla. It was a comment based on owning a M3 for nearly 30k miles and 2 1/2 years. My comments about why I sold the M3 may be useful for someone on the fence about the ownership experience, resale value or whatever is of interest to them. Just as I found this forum very useful when I first thought about getting a Tesla I hoped that someone else might find some small nugget for themself that helped them make a good decision given their priorities.

I still love the brand, would buy another, and still have my CT reservation active. It’s just my shift in priority to a quieter ride with a more responsive handling setup that tipped my decision. 3 years ago there was no competition to Tesla, and there is still not much, but times are changing. New competitors are appearing, and buying a $50k or more car is a big decision for many people.

I also posted to provide what some may view as negative comments, although that isn’t my intent. It is instead to provide a perspective that may not be voiced often. I didn’t read many negative comments over the years, but did appreciate that people took the time to voice them along with their reasoning. I could dismiss them if they didn’t apply, but at least they were there. I also find that most forum members are tolerant of diverse opinions as long as they aren’t stated in an offensive or confrontational manner.

Finally, I didn’t mention the car I bought because I didnt want to start a long series of posts arguing the merits of a particular ICE versus Tesla. However, some comments about my decision may be relevant to what I bought and why. I traded my M3 to a local BMW dealer (same dealer where my wife bought her 330e). I traded as a personal preference realizing that a private sale would net me more money, but that wasn’t my priority - a quick easy transaction was.

My replacement is a 2019 Audi A4 Prestige with roughly 27k miles, nearly 2k less than my M3. All services are up to date, and the original buyer bought an extended service contract covering everything through March 2023. Tires are new; car has every option package except the blackout grill, which I don’t particularly like anyway. The Audi original window sticker including delivery is just under $55k, excluding tax, tags, etc. That compares to the Tesla sticker of $53k or so. I added autopilot after buying the car when Tesla dropped the price to $2k for that feature. My all in cost on the Tesla including tax credits was $48k (including the autopilot that is now included in the standard base version) for a 2018 LR RWD (not AWD).

Including tax rebates, state taxes, registration fees and dealer “documentation fees” I walked out of the BMW dealership with the Audi and over $3k additional cash. My Tesla needed tires and also has moderate curb rash, neither of which the Audi has. Audi colors are Manhattan Gray metallic exterior, Nougat Brown interior - I like it. Tesla was base black/black (white is now base).

I did consider the MS and it likely would have worked a short time ago when the price fell below $70k, but at the current level I chose not to buy it. It wouldn’t surprise me if some type of rebate returns, and if it does I’ll reevaluate.

So that’s the full story. Again, not intending it to be a tell-all or vanity post, nor a bash Tesla post. Just one guys experience of Tesla ownership, changing priorities, pumped up resale value, and a dealer trying to move aging inventory. If any of these things apply to someone trying to make a similar decision I hope my post in some small way is helpful. For those that see my post in a different light, I accept that perspective as well, and hope my post isn’t obnoxious.

All the best again to each of you - this forum is wonderfully helpful and congenial. I have no interest in bashing any of it.

PS: Even though I sold the Tesla I’ll still visit the forum. I still want to stay up to date, especially since I’m awaiting seeing the CT in the flesh and my reservation is still active.

Last edited:

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I love it that this came from a mod. It must be tough for you seeing all the arguments and wondering “but whyyyy would they share that in the first place” :) Things I wouldn’t have expected for 10 points.

I am extremely clear when I am posting as a regular person and when I am doing something as a moderator. They are separate. I thought I was pretty clear in saying "personal opinion only" and it had nothing to do with moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC