Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Tesla yesterday - No Sellers Remorse Yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how psychologically we sometimes focus on shortcomings and take the benefits for granted.

Six months later, dealing with gas stations, gas prices, exhaust fumes, maintenance, oil changes, noisy and delayed acceleration.
Then there is the whole autopilot, #1 safety rating, and of course fart mode.

Face palm, now I remember why I got the Tesla.

Don't worry, we'll leave the light on for you.

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.
1618550180182.png

(personal opinion only, not representative of TMC or anyone else but myself)

This may be a tesla forum, but I keep saying there is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it relates to stuff like cars. There IS no "best" just "best for me, right now" or "best for you, right now".

So, OP, Its great that you found something for yourself that you like.

Saying that, however, one thing I have never really understood personally, is a need to "tell everyone, everything". I dont get the desire to come to a tesla board, and say (basically) bye bye everyone!

I dont care one way or another, really, but I dont "understand" it. All you accomplish is opening yourself up to people who may not agree with your position, for a discussion you should no longer care about having.

Now, for full disclosure, I dont have (or intend to ever have) a facebook account. I dont post to twitter, I dont do instagram. I really dont get the desire a lot of people have to "share" everything. I started my participation here because I wanted to learn. If I didnt have a tesla anymore, I likely wouldnt be here on this website. I might hang around for a bit to share what I know with others, to try to help them, but I would probably just fade away.

So, while I am really glad you found something you like, that fits for you, and am FIRMLY in the belief that the right vehicle for someone is the one they determine is the right one, I dont get the desire to create a thread about it.

Shrug... I probably dont get it because I dont believe in sharing on social media unless ones job / income is derived by advertising.
I couldn't agree with this more. My main participation in "social media" is posting on PlugShare these days 😂

I am very pleased with how quiet my 2021 LR is, and the general quality of the fit and finish. Certainly competes with ICE vehicles I have known in the same price bracket. So far, the M3 experience is much better than I expected from pre-reading on the forums.

Reactions: SO16 and JohnnyEV
Not just you.

My previous car was a 2016 Honda Accord LX V6. I thought it was pretty quiet until I drove the Model 3. IMO, the Model 3 is much quieter than the Honda was.
I think it's become a self fulfilling prophecy for lots of owners. Since there is virtually no drivetrain noise, people focus in on road/wind noise and can't un-hear it since it's usually the first time they have experienced a full EV daily and the only noise is road/wind compared to a combination with drivetrain.

If we look at the actual data, the Model 3 has similar interior sound levels to comparable ICE vehicles and with some simple cheap modification can be even quieter than those vehicles.

I personally don't have any issues with the interior noise levels of my Model 3. It's slight quieter than my previous car (Audi S4) and I didn't have any issues with that car's noise levels.

There’s a poem I can’t find right now : “How wrong is ICE? Let me count the ways....”
Any kind of ICE or exhaust note remorse left the day I went to pickup my M3P in Feb. I stopped at the Gas station to make sure my trade in (2019 Charger Scat 392) had more than 1/4 tank of Gas when I got there. The thing takes 89 and it cost me almost $40 for a half a tank (CA) :oops:. I took it as sign that this was the right time to make this move. I can only imagine prices when summer comes around. On a side note and maybe it's because I've always been a tech nerd, but this is definitely the best car I have ever owned and is the car for me :cool:

Same here with my Focus RS, while it was probably $40 for a full tank, filling up every other day wasn’t ideal. Only thing I wish is that I would have gotten the performance or LR AWD and be done with it. But the LR RWD has held its own.

Reactions: EchoDelta
I, too, have been considering trading in my M3... for a horse and carriage. The M3 is nice and all, but the autopilot on a horse just can't be beat. One time, after being shot with an arrow and passing out at the reins, the horse navigated us all the way back to Doc Baker's. Feedings are quicker than the supercharger, too... although not quite as fast as the gas station. More exhaust than an EV, but less than an ICE.

There are trade offs in either direction, but I think @lencap made the right choice. Clearly EV is insufferior to ICE and PONY.

I felt the same way when I drove a Model S loaner while Model 3 was being repaired. So I traded my Model 3 for an X. I really wanted an S but the only way I could justify the trade was if the upgrade could tow. Initially I thought the S could tow. No regrets with the X. But yeah, Model 3 is loud and rides harsh and it gnaws at you after a while. I have trouble recommending it to folks.
I’m in this predicament right now. Just recently got my car back from service a week and a half ago, which was fixed with software update...I had a 2017 Model S 75D loaner.

It wasn’t much quieter than my 2020 Model 3 LR, but I liked the way it drove.

I now find myself keeping an eye out for the newest and biggest battery Model X under $60k I can find... after I rented a 90D MX on Turo for a day. It’s an awesome vehicle, but I’ll miss the quick “splash and go” charging the Model 3 LRs are capable of on long trips.

Is it just me or is it that I just don’t feel/hear the road noise that much. I took delivery last month (March) and I don’t feel there is a big road noise. Coming from 2017 BMW 328i, I feel my new M3P is quieter.
For me personally, M3P is the best car I’ve ever had. Granted, maybe you guys compare the noise to the luxury “floaty” cars but I’ve always had more stiffer rides. Infiniti G35 coupe manual was way louder and even though it was considered a “sports” car, my M3P murders it in every category; from speed to road noise to stiffness to sound to tech.

I came from a 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe. The Model 3 is much quieter, mostly because of the noisy run-flats I had on the Cadillac. My radio is on 98% of the time I am driving the car, so the noise is a bit irrelevant anyway. And everyone who rides in my Model 3 comments on how quiet it is. Can't see going back to an ICE over road noise, even if it was an issue.

Tim

Reactions: MadMax082
Life is full of compromises. I'll suffer the lower build quality of the Tesla for the things I'll avoid that I've experienced with the major German brands (Audi, BMW, MB):

- oil consumption requiring enging replacement (Audi)
- O2 sensor replacement (x2) @$1200/ea (Audi)
- catalytic converter replacement (Audi)
- Transmission replacement @80K miles (MB)

And common to all the ICE cars
- exhaust fumes in garage
- stopping for gas every 2 days
- oil drips on driveway and garage floor
- oil changes at least once/year
- the lack of face-peeling on-demand acceleration

I may gripe about things from time to time on my Tesla, but there's no going back for me.

Disappointing that someone already owning a ZEV would go back to spewing emissions just to have a quieter ride. If many people operate that way the planet is doomed for sure.

My Tesla purchasing decision had absolutely zero to do with environmental factors, FWIW. I purchased Tesla because it's a better car. Why anyone would ever go back to ICE is beyond me, environmental considerations or otherwise.

Tim

My Tesla purchasing decision had absolutely zero to do with environmental factors, FWIW. I purchased Tesla because it's a better car. Why anyone would ever go back to ICE is beyond me, environmental considerations or otherwise.

Tim

I have said this before, but for myself, "the environment" was a side benefit. I mean, its cool that the car I liked the best / I determined was best for me also had the benefit of helping the environment, but that criteria was not on the "list of things I am looking for in my vehicle".

Same thing with my solar, and my powerwalls. I have a tesla vehicle, tesla solar on my roof, and tesla powerwalls in my garage, and none of those choices was because of "the environment". For tesla to survive and thrive as a company, they needed to (and mostly have) get past people for whom that is a major consideration.

They need (and have succeeded at) attracting people because they determine the product is the best one for them, either performance, saving money, etc etc. Even solar companies can not survive if "the environment" is the main selling point. Humans are in general selfish creatures, and tend to focus on "whats in it for me?" In general, one has to be some combination of very selfless, very altruistic / concerned about others, and or pretty darn wealthy to make purchasing decisions with the environment as a primary driver.

Thankfully for "the environment" teslas actual products are pretty good to very good. Solar can save people money in the long run, and also happens to put less stress on the grid / the environment. Teslas cars hold their own with their ICE counterparts and are good for the environment.

If EVs all looked like, and drove like chevy bolts and toyota prius, I absolutely would not be driving one, "environment" or no.

Thankfully for "the environment" teslas actual products are pretty good to very good. Solar can save people money in the long run, and also happens to put less stress on the grid / the environment. Teslas cars hold their own with their ICE counterparts and are good for the environment.

Tesla solar and powerwalls are next on my list too, for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

If EVs all looked like, and drove like chevy bolts and toyota prius, I absolutely would not be driving one, "environment" or no.

Those cars also have ZERO appeal to me and have got to be some of the least visually appealing vehicles ever produced.

Tim

Last edited:
A good point about why did I post. It wasn’t to say “bye” or dump on Tesla. It was a comment based on owning a M3 for nearly 30k miles and 2 1/2 years. My comments about why I sold the M3 may be useful for someone on the fence about the ownership experience, resale value or whatever is of interest to them. Just as I found this forum very useful when I first thought about getting a Tesla I hoped that someone else might find some small nugget for themself that helped them make a good decision given their priorities.

I still love the brand, would buy another, and still have my CT reservation active. It’s just my shift in priority to a quieter ride with a more responsive handling setup that tipped my decision. 3 years ago there was no competition to Tesla, and there is still not much, but times are changing. New competitors are appearing, and buying a $50k or more car is a big decision for many people.

I also posted to provide what some may view as negative comments, although that isn’t my intent. It is instead to provide a perspective that may not be voiced often. I didn’t read many negative comments over the years, but did appreciate that people took the time to voice them along with their reasoning. I could dismiss them if they didn’t apply, but at least they were there. I also find that most forum members are tolerant of diverse opinions as long as they aren’t stated in an offensive or confrontational manner.

Finally, I didn’t mention the car I bought because I didnt want to start a long series of posts arguing the merits of a particular ICE versus Tesla. However, some comments about my decision may be relevant to what I bought and why. I traded my M3 to a local BMW dealer (same dealer where my wife bought her 330e). I traded as a personal preference realizing that a private sale would net me more money, but that wasn’t my priority - a quick easy transaction was.

My replacement is a 2019 Audi A4 Prestige with roughly 27k miles, nearly 2k less than my M3. All services are up to date, and the original buyer bought an extended service contract covering everything through March 2023. Tires are new; car has every option package except the blackout grill, which I don’t particularly like anyway. The Audi original window sticker including delivery is just under $55k, excluding tax, tags, etc. That compares to the Tesla sticker of $53k or so. I added autopilot after buying the car when Tesla dropped the price to $2k for that feature. My all in cost on the Tesla including tax credits was $48k (including the autopilot that is now included in the standard base version) for a 2018 LR RWD (not AWD).

Including tax rebates, state taxes, registration fees and dealer “documentation fees” I walked out of the BMW dealership with the Audi and over $3k additional cash. My Tesla needed tires and also has moderate curb rash, neither of which the Audi has. Audi colors are Manhattan Gray metallic exterior, Nougat Brown interior - I like it. Tesla was base black/black (white is now base).

I did consider the MS and it likely would have worked a short time ago when the price fell below $70k, but at the current level I chose not to buy it. It wouldn’t surprise me if some type of rebate returns, and if it does I’ll reevaluate.

So that’s the full story. Again, not intending it to be a tell-all or vanity post, nor a bash Tesla post. Just one guys experience of Tesla ownership, changing priorities, pumped up resale value, and a dealer trying to move aging inventory. If any of these things apply to someone trying to make a similar decision I hope my post in some small way is helpful. For those that see my post in a different light, I accept that perspective as well, and hope my post isn’t obnoxious.

All the best again to each of you - this forum is wonderfully helpful and congenial. I have no interest in bashing any of it.

PS: Even though I sold the Tesla I’ll still visit the forum. I still want to stay up to date, especially since I’m awaiting seeing the CT in the flesh and my reservation is still active.
I owned an A4 before trading it for an SQ5 (thinking I wanted an SUV) and then went from the SQ5 to the M3. I loved my A4. You drive what you enjoy. The A4 was the best car I've ever owned. Fast, efficient, comfortable and full of tech. I miss that car.

Reactions: pnwadventures
I owned an A4 before trading it for an SQ5 (thinking I wanted an SUV) and then went from the SQ5 to the M3. I loved my A4. You drive what you enjoy. The A4 was the best car I've ever owned. Fast, efficient, comfortable and full of tech. I miss that car.

Everyone always questions why anyone would go back to an ICE vehicle....... for an RS6 I would quickly dispose of my Tesla.....but that's just me. I've have recently browsed Audi for the A4 All-Road.

Everyone always questions why anyone would go back to an ICE vehicle....... for an RS6 I would quickly dispose of my Tesla.....but that's just me. I've have recently browsed Audi for the A4 All-Road.

Every time I get back into an ICE car and drive, I can't get over the tractor feeling that comes along with an engine and transmission.

Tim

Every time I get back into an ICE car and drive, I can't get over the tractor feeling that comes along with an engine and transmission.

Tim
I feel you on this. After driving my M3P for a week and then getting back into my 2017 Santa Fe, it felt like a dinosaur, moved like a dinosaur and sounded like one too! Can't wait to get my M3P back from service!

Reactions: TBrownTX
Status
Not open for further replies.