Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Tesla yesterday - No Sellers Remorse Yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, that was a funny vid! That Audi is all sorts of souped up, running on jet fuel with an expert driver, launch control engaged and just the right air and tire temperatures, while the bone-stock Tesla just rolled off the showroom with a driver who simply reclined the seat and set the cruise control to 160. Yet it took 8 gear changes and an entire runway length for the Audi to *just barely* catch up and vindicate the petrolheads!

Woohoo! Yeah, next time you're driving along at 150mph and suddenly need to accelerate to 160mph, you better hope you have a precariously tuned methanol powered ICE with plenty of nitrous on tap or else it might take you 1/4 second longer to get up to speed.

Haha, that was a funny vid! That Audi is all sorts of souped up, running on jet fuel with an expert driver, launch control engaged and just the right air and tire temperatures, while the bone-stock Tesla just rolled off the showroom with a driver who simply reclined the seat and set the cruise control to 160. Yet it took 8 gear changes and an entire runway length for the Audi to *just barely* catch up and vindicate the petrolheads!

Woohoo! Yeah, next time you're driving along at 150mph and suddenly need to accelerate to 160mph, you better hope you have a precariously tuned methanol powered ICE with plenty of nitrous on tap or else it might take you 1/4 second longer to get up to speed.

Nevermind

Last edited:
Like clockwork, this thread has become pretty much exactly what I said it would in my first post in this thread.

(personal opinion only, not representative of TMC or anyone else but myself)

............All you accomplish is opening yourself up to people who may not agree with your position, for a discussion you should no longer care about having.

This is certainly not a unique "Tesla Forums" phenomenon, as the exact same thing would take place in pretty much any other car forum.

The thing thats a bit different in this forum, is that, in general, people are a bit nicer about it than they tend to be in other forums.

Putting on my moderator hat for a second..... I check in on threads like this to ensure nothing rises to the level of personal attacks. on other forums, these type threads can get somewhat volatile (and they can do that here too), but in general they dont get too bad here vs other places I have seen.

Disappointing that someone already owning a ZEV would go back to spewing emissions just to have a quieter ride. If many people operate that way the planet is doomed for sure.
I guarantee there will be quiet EV's. Even Tesla makes a decent one in the S/X. And the refresh due out on the S/X will have active noice cancelation amoung other improvements. I'm sure the 3/Y will get there one day too.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and T3SLAROD
Just finished building myself an outhouse. We have an indoor washroom too, but it's just too noisy. Every time someone pushes the plunger I can *hear* the water running through the pipes. Rather people do their business out in the outhouse. Now I can take that washroom and turn it into a good sized tobacky smoking room. Just me, my pipe, and my rocker, and that's *all* I need.

And the refresh due out on the S/X will have active noice cancelation
How did I previously miss this little morsel???? That's awesome! I use an active noise cancellation headset at work, with very high ambient volume levels, and am beyond impressed at how well the active noise reduction works. If they have a well designed system for the car, it should really drop the noise levels.

I'm already having a hard time not pulling the trigger on a Plaid+ Model S, and you're certainly not helping here. ;)

Edit to add: I wonder how hard it would be to get a third party active noise reduction solution to work in existing Teslas? Might be a good sized market for such a doo dad.

Reactions: SO16
Our 2017 MS is quieter than my 2018 Model 3 but honestly after all these years without an ICE vehicle I could never willing go back to an ICE. Just wouldn’t happen. I just thought the other day how great it was not to ever pump gas, pay for an oil change, spark plugs, muffler replacement, tune up, etc and no need for Smog checks. Let alone give up my great center screen and other Tesla tech. Have to say I’m still in love with my car and never felt this way before. Lots of our time and money saved too. We have 14-50 charging at home and recently added solar/PWs so “fueling” is done by the sun.

OP I know you just sold your car yesterday and bought the ICE, so too soon for regrets to set in. With ICE vehicles being phased out and more people wanting EVs I wonder how well your car will sell used down the road.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
As for a hybrid purchase I would never consider going that route either. Paying for repairs/maintenance on an ICE and adding the cost and any issues with a tiny BEV just doesn’t make sense to me. Keeping it simple is the best way to go for fewer headaches.

Reactions: TBrownTX
And not trying at all to diss your decision in any of my comments btw. I saw you mention you got a good deal trading in your Model 3 at the BMW dealership. I wonder what they will relist it for. Would be curious how much they mark it up if you find out. Don’t think they will send it to an auctioneer.

While you got a prepaid maintenance for your Audi that will save you some money on routine maintenance, just pointing out you’ll still need to take it into the dealership for the work and arrange for transportation being loaner or not. I do like Tesla’s mobile service for that reason (AC filter/condenser cleaning and upgrading car to the FSD board). When we bought our Toyota Avalon years ago we bought it with prepaid maintenance at one bay area dealership but later we moved, and our new local Toyota dealership was not too welcoming to us with the plan. Dealerships make their money on maintenance. Since they didn’t get the money up front for it, we were a losing maintenance customer for them. They had to honor it I guess, and my husband never felt he got great service from them over the years. In fact originally my husband was told we had to drive it up to the place we bought it from for service. It was quite shocking. Curious if your plan was from your local Audi dealership and how you get treated over the 4 years.

Last edited:
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Over the nearly three years of 2018 LR RWD M3 ownership the information on this site has been wonderful and the overall atmosphere welcoming and supportive.

A short time ago my wife's 2011 BMW 335D's Check Engine iight appeared. We brought it to the dealership where it's been maintained over the years and they confirmed what I suspected, namely that future repair would likely continue and would be costly. That led to a long look at alternatives including Tesla.

Surprisingly after testing many different brands/models she settled on BMW 330e, a plug in hybrid that provides the instant torque we both enjoy. As I drove her car I began to notice how much quieter it is than my M3, and how the suspension is far more enjoyable and compliant to experience. That led me to notice other things about the M3, specifically the constant noise from tires/road, which was very noticable compared to her new ride. Once I experienced it I couldn't ignore it.

Add to that the need for new tires (28.5K miles on my car), and a very generous purchase offer (at least compared to other dealers) for my M3, and I found myself looking at other cars. To make a long story short, yesterday I sold the Tesla replacing it with an ICE (yes, I know).

What I learned is that Tesla is still the best EV on the planet, but things are changing. I overlooked the typical assembly issues that I experienced - paint/panels/etc, but the biggest factor is the road noise. The M3 windows are frameless, obviously, but that requires near perfect alignment and sealing to avoid wind noise. Sadly even the 2021 model I drove was far noisier than I expected, especially compared to more traditional brands.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing Tesla, far from it. I'm still on the list for the CT, but I've aged in the last few years and priorities have shifted a bit more toward comfort and quiet instead of pure acceleration. That doesn't negate Tesla's other obvious benefits, but I think that Tesla would be wise to place more emphasis on NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) when designing the next level cars.
Cool story bro....

I have driven BMW 3 series and X3s exclusively for 23 years....until today when I took delivery of my Model 3. My initial impression of the Model 3 is that it is quieter than my 3 Series...but my opinion is still forming. There are pros and cons each way. My guess is we will hedge for years to come and keep an X3 (maybe hybrid) and Model 3. Use the X3 for road trips, Model 3 around town.

I am still trying to wrap my head around no spare tire and no run-flats on the Model 3...which is why I think of it as a city car now. I get the weight savings, etc...but man if you are in the middle of nowhere with a flat....

One thing in such judgements is to consider safety. Autopilot, other systems, structural crashworthiness - if safety is better than other vehicles it makes wind noise, and nearly every other point of comparison, sort of irrelevant...just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.