Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have sold my P85D moving to the Model X. The new owner will be picking up this week. Since this is a private sale how does the new owner get the Tesla App to work on his phone and how do I erase all the personal data from the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

So I have sold my P85D moving to the Model X. The new owner will be picking up this week. Since this is a private sale how does the new owner get the Tesla App to work on his phone and how do I erase all the personal data from the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

The new owner will need to call Tesla (and provide proof of ownership) to get the transfer to his MyTesla account.

Erasing all (most) personal data can be done from the Service & Reset menu on the touchscreen in car. I say most because I don't believe it erases your historical charging locations - I think that can only be done via service menus that we don't have access to.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
The new owner will need to call Tesla (and provide proof of ownership) to get the transfer to his MyTesla account.

Erasing all (most) personal data can be done from the Service & Reset menu on the touchscreen in car. I say most because I don't believe it erases your historical charging locations - I think that can only be done via service menus that we don't have access to.
Thank you very much sir.

Model S Owner's Manual, North America, En US, 10/20/2016
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf
Page 101

Erasing Personal Data

You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, imported contacts, HomeLink
programming, etc.) and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful
when transferring ownership of Model S. Touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Factory
Reset > Erase & Reset. Before erasing, Model S verifies your credentials by prompting you to enter
the user name and password associated with your MY TESLA account.

I just went through this back in September. This can all be handled via email. See snippet of email from Tesla below:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors and congratulations on your new purchase! In order to process the transfer of ownership for your vehicle and provide you with mobile app access we will need the following.
  • Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state ID
  • Copy or picture of your title or registration
  • Email address you would like linked to your account (My Tesla email if account is already created)
  • Home or mailing address
  • Phone number
Please send this info to [email protected] and we will begin the transfer process, this process can take up to 2-3 business days and once completed you will be notified by email. If you have any questions regarding this process feel free to give our Technical Support team a call 24/7 at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Hope this helps you out!