Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solicitation for Opinions on Tesla Service and Recent Pricing Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we hadn't seen the autopilot fatalities

You mean the ones that occur at a much lower rate than people not using autopilot?

I'd be more optimistic about Tesla's roadmap, and we perhaps had yet another one recently which replayed the Autopilot 1 fatality despite it being on Autopilot 2.x. Why can't the newest system avoid past fatal errors???

Probably because in both cases the idiots behind the wheel were using the system in a location the manual repeatedly and explicitly says not to use the system

You can't fix stupid. Even with a computer.

Reactions: neroden
If we hadn't seen the autopilot fatalities I'd be more optimistic about Tesla's roadmap, and we perhaps had yet another one recently which replayed the Autopilot 1 fatality despite it being on Autopilot 2.x. Why can't the newest system avoid past fatal errors??? Plus all the recent brain-drain. I just don't think they have what it takes to pull it off and the lack of lidar is a risky gamble on Musk's part. The CPU upgrade is really the only thing I see reinforcing the optimistic narrative, but the software is key as well.

The more autonomy autopilot is given the more likely it will hit edge-cases and crash into things. So this could be the calm before the storm as far as reality-checking the techno-optimism.
I have no techno optimism. As Ive posted before, I think it will be 10 years or more for autonomy, due to the difficulty and regulation. Anyone who drives any car with driver assist features and doesn’t pay attention is taking big risks. Regardless of brand. My point was that if you step back, we had near zero driver assist 6 years ago. Because Tesla pushed the envelope, we now have some features standard for most new cars, and others appearing every year. We are on an inevitable trajectory. The ultimate technology is tbd. But in the mid to long term we will see autonomy, and in short term more features under Tesla’s FSD branding, which one should not mistake for autonomy.

Reactions: neroden