Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid AP Improvements on v10 - Initial Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few AP things I’ve noticed since having v10 for a couple days (non-EAP, non-FSD HW2.5 SR+ owner here):

- When at a stop and the car in front of me starts moving, my Tesla now accelerates MUCH faster than it used to and no longer creates a large gap between us. I used to “help” AP along by slightly hitting the accelerator, but this is no longer necessary.

This was one of my biggest gripes with AP. In slow traffic people would keep cutting me off. And I'm sure the people behind me didn't like it either. I haven't gotten the V10 update yet but I'm excited to test this out.

I would say I see a steady improvement overall.
Still some issues and far from perfect but breaking is smoother in traffic situations (slows the car down more gradually when approaching slowed traffic ahead) & acceleration better from a stop.
Those are nice improvements and the lane recognition in Auto Steer is better for me, less movement and I like that it will track a little left with traffic close on the right side now.
Cornering seems better in AutoSteer.
Handles cars cutting into the lane space ahead better than before.
So really all good, I feel more confident using it more often on my commute than I did with V9.

Nags do seem to be a little more frequent. I think that is more me still experimenting with non-driving hand positioning so consider that solvable.

Still really struggles with cars turning right from your lane, even after they are out of your lane completely the car is still breaking for them. For cars following this is probably now the biggest issue for me as no driver would still be breaking.
I am not sure if that is the same as V9 or not, but know it needs improvement.
As with V9 but better still struggles with seeing very far afield, as a driver you can see stopped traffic with your eyes and the nav map red lines but the car still steams ahead. This may be a limitation with the method of radar used, I am not sure.

My biggest annoyance/request is the way the system handles the car in front of you turning right onto a perpendicular street. The system does not handle these scenarios like a human does (by predicting that the car is turning and continuing at a steady speed, knowing that you won't hit the car because it will have turned by the time you reach that point in space). You can override AP with the accelerator, but sometimes it will give the audible, red vehicle warning as it thinks you're about to rear end the car.
just a personal? for you is your avatar a roadster? whatever it is ..Gorgeous car!!
and also what does the word "aero" refer to?
Thanks in Advance

My experience with TACC in city driving is that it doesn't reduce its speed gradually (like a human would) when approaching stopped cars at an intersection ahead, but flies onward at full speed, then applies the brakes aggressively to come to a stop, and then stops farther away from the vehicle ahead than a human driver normally would (I think the rule of thumb is: the bottom of the rear tires of the car in front are at the level with the top of the dashboard from the driver's point of view); it does start up more quickly from a dead stop following the car ahead than did v.9, but does so too abruptly--again not easing into the acceleration like a human would, but accelerating abruptly; but then it does pick up speed more quickly than before, which is good.

It still does not react in a human-driver way to cars that are turning to the right from in front of it, braking so aggressively (even after the other car is no longer in the street) that it becomes dangerous to anyone following me. Same thing goes for cars crossing in front of it, or even turning left; the car practically stops, then accelerates very slowly--endangering and irritating anyone who is following behind. I love the idea of using TACC in the city, but it definitely is not yet ready for prime-time.
So a few days ago I would've disagreed with you on this. But I was still on software version 2019.32.11. After receiving 2019.32.11.1 I'm definitely noticing everything you mention here.

However, on 2019.32.11 everything was super smooth - as smooth as I've ever seen it before. I was loving it.

Braking - it now behaves exactly as you describe. But on 2019.32.11 it would gently left off the acceleration when it saw a car and then gradually apply the brakes. Very smooth. Yes, it still stopped a little too far away but I was fine with that.

Acceleration - On 2019.32.11 it would smoothly accelerate from a stop while still keeping pace with the car in front of you. No (on 2019.32.11.1) it abruptly accelerates to the point of causing your head to hit the back of the seat.

I hope they go back to the smoothness of 2019.32.11 soon.

Reactions: derkan
On my 1200-mile road trip, I had the most awful problems with automatic lane changes. I was using NoA with ULC disabled. So I request lane changes on my timing. This was all on interstate highways.

It would start to change lanes, then when it hit the line it would swerve, then it would try again, and sometimes eventually complete. This would happen with basically no traffic around (except sometimes with a car in front of course).

This happened over and over again - I submitted at least 30 bug reports on it. It would happen on straight stretches and on curves. It seemed worse when going from right to left, but would happen in both directions.

I have lots of TeslaCam captures.

Anyone else seen this behavior? It’s really bad!

Otherwise, overall AP was a nice thing to have. The jerkiness was still there of course, though perhaps better (I had never taken a road trip before so really no way to compare). Just one instance of phantom braking of significance in Vegas when I went under an overpass on I-15 which looked like a semi trailer (steel with cross beams).

I did notice one time it seemed to respond to yellow chevrons on a curve when I was using it in a place it is not intended for use (highway 67 on the north rim). Surprised me but it seemed appropriate.

On my 1200-mile road trip, I had the most awful problems with automatic lane changes. I was using NoA with ULC disabled. So I request lane changes on my timing. This was all on interstate highways.

It would start to change lanes, then when it hit the line it would swerve, then it would try again, and sometimes eventually complete. This would happen with basically no traffic around (except sometimes with a car in front of course).

This happened over and over again - I submitted at least 30 bug reports on it. It would happen on straight stretches and on curves. It seemed worse when going from right to left, but would happen in both directions.

Otherwise, overall AP was a nice thing to have. The jerkiness was still there of course, though perhaps better (I had never taken a road trip before so really no way to compare). Just one instance of phantom braking of significance in Vegas when I went under an overpass on I-15 which looked like a semi trailer (steel with cross beams).

I did notice one time it seemed to respond to yellow chevrons on a curve when I was using it in a place it is not intended for use (highway 67 on the north rim). Surprised me but it seemed appropriate.
Could this be related to how you hold the wheel? When NOA originally came out, it was stated that the car had to detect your hands on the wheel during the entire lane change for it to complete. I interpreted this to mean you need to maintain torque on the wheel the entire maneuver.

I always hold the wheel at about 4 o'clock with my right hand. The weight of my arm hangs on the wheel and seems to apply the required torque. I basically never have nags while my hand is in the position, and it's extremely rare that my car won't complete an auto lane change on it's first attempt. I haven't had any fails since getting V10.

Having said this I haven't specifically tried to let go of the wheel mid lane change to see if it will abort or complete the change to definitively prove that you have to hold the wheel properly the entire time.

....Still really struggles with cars turning right from your lane, even after they are out of your lane completely the car is still breaking for them. For cars following this is probably now the biggest issue for me as no driver would still be breaking.....
Yea, this is biggie to me also and very UN-human. Also even worse is a car pulling into a center turn lane to turn left. You almost come to a stop until their car completely enters the lane out of the way. The way we as humans handle center lane (left) and right turners is as we see that the car is nearly clear we speed back up some and lane shift to the right/left a little to clear and move on. Since a similar aspect is used with semis on the highway hopefully this will filter down to going around people turning.

Yea, this is biggie to me also and very UN-human. Also even worse is a car pulling into a center turn lane to turn left. You almost come to a stop until their car completely enters the lane out of the way. The way we as humans handle center lane (left) and right turners is as we see that the car is nearly clear we speed back up some and lane shift to the right/left a little to clear and move on. Since a similar aspect is used with semis on the highway hopefully this will filter down to going around people turning.

On the other hand a lot of these human assumptions are also what leads to accidents. Sure the car should consider planning an offset path to clear another car if possible, but frequently human assumptions about how other cars are going to enter or exit our paths of travel leave us temporarily driving without a backup plan if the other car decides to change their mind for whatever reason.

Reactions: derkan
Could this be related to how you hold the wheel? When NOA originally came out, it was stated that the car had to detect your hands on the wheel during the entire lane change for it to complete. I interpreted this to mean you need to maintain torque on the wheel the entire maneuver.

I always hold the wheel at about 4 o'clock with my right hand. The weight of my arm hangs on the wheel and seems to apply the required torque. I basically never have nags while my hand is in the position, and it's extremely rare that my car won't complete an auto lane change on it's first attempt. I haven't had any fails since getting V10.

Having said this I haven't specifically tried to let go of the wheel mid lane change to see if it will abort or complete the change to definitively prove that you have to hold the wheel properly the entire time.

I doubt it. I hold my hand at 9 o’clock and another lightly at 3 o’clock. Also not using ULC and I think the requirements are different.

I saw just one reminder (the one in the middle of the screen, not the blue flasher) to hold the wheel on my 1200-mile trip, and that was early on and I adjusted.

I tried some firm holding during the lane change - no luck but fairly sure I had continuous torque application all the time anyway.

One possibility is sun angle. Seemed worse but not sure. I think it also happened midday in Nevada.

Last edited:
  1. I've experienced much better lane splits, regardless of whether the split is to the left or right
  2. I'm one who enables Chill mode when using AP - minimizes the jerkiness
  3. Still too much phantom braking for no apparent reason - HARD braking
  4. They still have not fixed right curves. I regularly take the HOV lane NB 405 to NB 55 in Orange County, CA and it scares the eff out of me. But I have to test from time-to-time to see if there has been improvement.
But I love being able to set AP in Brea and drive 20 miles to Irvine and almost never have to disable AP.
You ever try the SB 405 to NB 55 HOV lane while going 75mph? Should be your next test. I have not completed that without intervening yet, will try on v10.

+1 on chill mode, and also I change following distance if I want more smoothness

I was having this problem on 2019.32.11 It would swerve-abort-retry about 75% of lane changes. Now fixed 100% with 2019.32.11.1!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life