Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid Black vs. Obsidian Black Metallic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with obsidian black because I subjectively felt it had a bit more depth to it, and I thought it reflected other colors better. For example, in this picture, it looks almost purple in places because it's picking up some of the blue of the sky, and the reflection of the trees on the hood felt "better" than what I saw with the solid black:

tesla-post-xpel-wrap-afternoon_03-800x.JPG

Of course this could all be my imagination so definitely try to see samples of both to decide for yourself.

I also liked that it was 4 layers vs 2 layers (I think that's right but not 100% positive), but I've since put XPEL on it so perhaps that doesn't matter so much now.

Definitely go Obsidian Black. My detailer thanked me that I went Obsidian. He sees a lot of Tesla's and for the finish upkeep alone he said the standard black is much harder to keep looking good and tells everyone to choose Obsidian. The plain black shows swirls and even small scratches much more than the Obsidian. I love the depth in our Obsidian as well.
18156018_1140939746017629_9093207986061718689_o.jpg

Reactions: Kacey Green
When we ordered my wife's 2015 S70D, we ordered the 'regular' black, but had heard some rumors about a new black 'coming soon'. Once we saw the color sample for Obsidian, we made the switch. Could not be happier. Nice complex metallic texture--really changes with the light. Go for it.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Unfortunately my car was confirmed and went into production. The sales person pushed me to get solid black when I put my deposit. All good points about Obsidian Black Metallic. Does anyone have solid black or pics?

IMG_0184.JPG
Unfortunately my car was confirmed and went into production. The sales person pushed me to get solid black when I put my deposit. All good points about Obsidian Black Metallic. Does anyone have solid black or pics?

No it's not unfortunate, geez, congrats you've got a new car coming!!!! Yes, they are all good points, as is your choice of solid black. I have solid black, for the reason opposite of the choices above. I wanted no other color than deep, lustrous black. There is tremendous depth and shine in a well maintained black car, including obsidian and solid black. Find a reputable detailer that uses quality carnuba and you'll never regret your decision. Car Wax - Carnauba Waxes- Pinnacle Carnauba Car waxes, P21s Concours Carnauba car wax. Congratulations, now don't look back!! :)

PS - sorry I'm out of town and this is the only pic I have left on my phone......you will be happy.

Reactions: JQS3 and Mike M
My father in law an I purchased virtually identical S90Ds a week apart - he got Obsidian Black, and I got the Solid Black. I am very happy with my decision. The metallic compounds in the Obsidian make it look much lighter in color when they are side by side, and do absorb other colors visually which detracts from the black IMO (this is definitely a subjective subject). I disagree with some of the previous posters - I think the Solid looks much deeper and darker, but it does take more work to keep marks off. Frankly, most of the Tesla paint is a little lacking from a quality point of view (I have several Toyotas whose paint quality is light years superior to the Tesla), so I expect it will be a lot of work to keep it up regardless of the color. Unfortunately, I can't afford the high-end paint protection options many here use - but I would recommend that you do use one if you can.

The previous several posters are absolutely right. As my post & picture above points out, the obsidian "black" is more likely to take on a blue or purple or other tint. That's not for everyone, and even I occasionally tilt my head and think to myself, "Purple???". The standard black is absolutely beautiful to everyone who sees it. No one should ever have regrets over the difference between "two shades of black".

Reactions: Mike M
I believe I made the right choice since I am looking for a straight black color look. It will definitely require much more work and maintenance to keep clean. I have Russell Speeder's Car wash next door who are really good. They offer hand car wash but also have unlimited automated wash package for 14.99 per month that has pretty updated technology, brushes etc. I am not a big fan of having the brushes hit against my car. They also offer special waxing using some state of the art products. Just in case I can always do it myself :) I am planning to keep this car for a really long time something I have not been able to do in the past.

View attachment 226045

No it's not unfortunate, geez, congrats you've got a new car coming!!!! Yes, they are all good points, as is your choice of solid black. I have solid black, for the reason opposite of the choices above. I wanted no other color than deep, lustrous black. There is tremendous depth and shine in a well maintained black car, including obsidian and solid black. Find a reputable detailer that uses quality carnuba and you'll never regret your decision. Car Wax - Carnauba Waxes- Pinnacle Carnauba Car waxes, P21s Concours Carnauba car wax. Congratulations, now don't look back!! :)

PS - sorry I'm out of town and this is the only pic I have left on my phone......you will be happy.
Beautiful car @NikeWings. I think you are right, you really can't go wrong either black. Just make sure to protect it with a wrap, ceramic coating or regular waxing (the real stuff, not the spray on stuff from the car wash)!

The previous several posters are absolutely right. As my post & picture above points out, the obsidian "black" is more likely to take on a blue or purple or other tint. That's not for everyone, and even I occasionally tilt my head and think to myself, "Purple???". The standard black is absolutely beautiful to everyone who sees it. No one should ever have regrets over the difference between "two shades of black".
Yes, not everyone likes the color changes of the Obsidian. Same day, different angles get you different colors. I personally like it, but I know may others aren't fans. Sometimes it even appears like a dark metallic gunmetal grey depending on the light as you can see from mine today:
IMG_8870.jpg

Oh nooooo, this is gona stress me no end... i brought a jerez black bmw many years ago and was so sad when i went to pick it up because it looked blue. I want black and only black, its just my preference

i hope they let me change it to solid black....

would love to see more pics here of either sold black or obsidian black

Love this thread. My MX completed production today (!!!), and I chose obsidian black even though I’ve never seen either option in person, outside of the dimly lit underground parking lot of the Houston galleria Tesla shop. I thought they both looked terrific, the most attractive colors for the Model X, in my opinion. That said, the obsidian version just seemed to have a more luminous depth to it than the sleek piano black of the other. That appealed to me a little more but the photos here demonstrate that you really can’t go wrong with either. Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: xyeahtony
Love this thread. My MX completed production today (!!!), and I chose obsidian black even though I’ve never seen either option in person, outside of the dimly lit underground parking lot of the Houston galleria Tesla shop. I thought they both looked terrific, the most attractive colors for the Model X, in my opinion. That said, the obsidian version just seemed to have a more luminous depth to it than the sleek piano black of the other. That appealed to me a little more but the photos here demonstrate that you really can’t go wrong with either. Thanks for the pics!

enjoy your color choice as they are discontinuing it :) like the green before it, people seem to want colors even more after they're discontinued! haha

This is so true! Obsidian black is a great color. It was the color of my overnight loaner and even though I wasn’t considering black before, it almost swayed me to change my mind because it looked *that* good.

I’m sad to hear that it (and silver metallic) have been discontinued. Enjoy~!

We're going to be ordering the Obsidian. I love the metallic in it and how it sparkles in the sunlight. Plus, I agree with the comments on less swirls/scratches! We were going to originally go with the pearl white, but love the obsidian!