Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid red light after power outage on Wall Connector gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power went out today after a storm went through with strong winds. Only was out for a few seconds and came right back on. Noticed Wall Connector gen 3 showing a solid, single red light. We're in our second week of ownership... charger worked fine up until now. Neighbor who is an electrician who did the install helped me troubleshoot. Found all the troubleshooting guides on the Tesla website. We checked all wiring and made sure it was seated and torqued properly in the Wall Connector housing and in the panel. All good there. Tried turning circuit off three times, waiting 5 seconds in between off-and-on, following the guided step-by-step tutorial from Tesla. Still had the red light. The unit refuses to even go into Wifi search mode. When I try to go into the unit online, it simply says it's not online, to reconnect it. But I can't even get the unit to that point. Tried holding the button down for 5 seconds, which is supposed to put it in Wifi search mode, and that doesn't work. When we do cut power and try to reset the unit, we get a green light for about 10 seconds, then all of the lights turn green for 5 seconds or so, then it goes to the single red light and stays there. Never waivers no matter what we try.

Hoping somebody out there has had a similar issue with a fix. Dread the idea this unit conked out after a typical power failure, which happens often in these parts.

Any ideas/advice? I have a note out to Tesla support. Hoping there's a magic wand I can wave in front of it to get it to work.

Power went out today after a storm went through with strong winds. Only was out for a few seconds and came right back on. Noticed Wall Connector gen 3 showing a solid, single red light. We're in our second week of ownership... charger worked fine up until now. Neighbor who is an electrician who did the install helped me troubleshoot. Found all the troubleshooting guides on the Tesla website. We checked all wiring and made sure it was seated and torqued properly in the Wall Connector housing and in the panel. All good there. Tried turning circuit off three times, waiting 5 seconds in between off-and-on, following the guided step-by-step tutorial from Tesla. Still had the red light. The unit refuses to even go into Wifi search mode. When I try to go into the unit online, it simply says it's not online, to reconnect it. But I can't even get the unit to that point. Tried holding the button down for 5 seconds, which is supposed to put it in Wifi search mode, and that doesn't work. When we do cut power and try to reset the unit, we get a green light for about 10 seconds, then all of the lights turn green for 5 seconds or so, then it goes to the single red light and stays there. Never waivers no matter what we try.

Hoping somebody out there has had a similar issue with a fix. Dread the idea this unit conked out after a typical power failure, which happens often in these parts.

Any ideas/advice? I have a note out to Tesla support. Hoping there's a magic wand I can wave in front of it to get it to work.
I second this issue. Just had a J1772 Tesla wall charger installed a week ago. Now have solid red light after storm related power outages yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

You may be able to pick up a Tesla Wall Connector at the local Best Buy, if only to troubleshoot what is going on. (The Wall Connector can be installed directly on the existing mounting bracket.)

If you have the Tesla Mobile Connector check if you can charge using the Mobile Connector and a 120V receptacle. This would help eliminate issues with the charging circuitry. If not, download Plugshare onto your phone to locate public level 2 charging stations (you would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that should have come with the Tesla vehicle.)

You may be able to pick up a Tesla Wall Connector at the local Best Buy, if only to troubleshoot what is going on. (The Wall Connector can be installed directly on the existing mounting bracket.)

If you have the Tesla Mobile Connector check if you can charge using the Mobile Connector and a 120V receptacle. This would help eliminate issues with the charging circuitry. If not, download Plugshare onto your phone to locate public level 2 charging stations (you would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that should have come with the Tesla vehicle.)
Thanks for the response! I didn't know Best Buy sells Wall Connectors?! I might have to give that a shot, if only to troubleshoot. I have a service ticket in with Tesla but, of course, it's the holiday weekend now. So not sure how quickly I'll get a response. Fortunately, there's a couple supercharging stations right near us in the area that'll get us by. Thanks again for the ideas!

I second this issue. Just had a J1772 Tesla wall charger installed a week ago. Now have solid red light after storm related power outages yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.
As I get more info/solutions, I'll update this thread. Friend had an extra mobile charger that he gave to me that's going to help us out for now. It has a 14-50 plug adapter and I might install one of those in my garage as a backup.

Reactions: outdoors
Five seconds is not enough time for some devices to discharge all power and reset. I would say turn off the breaker for 30 seconds or more, then turn it back on. If that doesn't work file an insurance claim. A power flicker like you described (on /off / back on) is the worst thing for some devices. I purchased a couple of battery bank uninterruptable power supplies for my DVRs back over a decade ago after both DVRs in my home got bricked by a power flicker. I lived in an area where power flickers were common when the wind was gusting.

Keith

Five seconds is not enough time for some devices to discharge all power and reset. I would say turn off the breaker for 30 seconds or more, then turn it back on. If that doesn't work file an insurance claim. A power flicker like you described (on /off / back on) is the worst thing for some devices. I purchased a couple of battery bank uninterruptable power supplies for my DVRs back over a decade ago after both DVRs in my home got bricked by a power flicker. I lived in an area where power flickers were common when the wind was gusting.

Keith
Thanks for suggestions... Keith. I actually had the breaker off to the unit overnight and still a red light. If power outages/flickers are going to brick this thing, I might as well throw in the towel now. We get power issues anytime a storm comes through. But, I also have a friend in the same neighborhood who has multiple Teslas, with the same power outage issues, and have never had a problem with his wall connectors. So... who knows.

An update. Basically I will be calling tesla to come and assess the charger. I turned the breaker off/on several times (off for several hours) and I also took the unit off to ensure the wiring was ok and appropriate torque on the nuts that secure the wires. Everything looks good. When I connect with the charger via wifi, I get error code 14, as outlined in the previous post by ATPMSD.

Will update in the thread after tesla's assessment.

Thanks for the update, Robby. Have you had any luck even getting in touch with Tesla? I've already emailed [email protected] following the manual's recommendation days ago. No response. I tried calling support... was on hold for over 30 minutes and then the phone cut out on me. I've been waiting with online chat for close to an hour now, despite the chat window saying it would be '2 minutes' until an agent joins (see screenshot below). I've also emailed other Tesla support addresses all with no response. I'm desperate to get in touch with anyone at Tesla about this issue.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 2.35.32 PM.png

From the manual:

“Turn the circuit breaker off, wait 5 seconds, and turn it back on. If solid red light remains, document part number and serial number, then contact Tesla”

[email protected]
Tried emailing that address again... noticed in my junk bin my email didn't go through. This suggests this email address no longer works.

<[email protected]>: host
tesla-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[104.47.57.138] said: 550 5.4.1
Recipient address rejected: Access denied. AS(201806281)
[DM6NAM11FT036.eop-nam11.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to RCPT TO
command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; st43p00im-ztdg10061801.me.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 00DF06004DC
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Arrival-Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:43:17 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; **********************@*********
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; tesla-com.mail.protection.outlook.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied.
AS(201806281) [DM6NAM11FT036.eop-nam11.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Hi I had the same issue. Brand new wall connector (level 3) faulted after power outage on grid (I suspect that outage was caused by tesla charging start - total current draw went up to 175 A to my house according to my iottawatt monitor, and it was 5 F outside, so general energy consumption was up).
Any way, after trying to email to Tesla I got a reply recommending to contact local energy company, I actually lg into:
Troubleshooting a Gen 3 Wall Connector, went through "Diagnose" questionary sequence and selected to chat at the end of it. I was waiting for about 5 min when someone actually answer. THey ask me to plug charging cable to my MYLR, so they will be able to access chager. They did confirm that it is faulted and they will notify me via email when they will send a replacer.
So far, not bad service.

Reactions: MatthewMichael
Thanks for the update, Robby. Have you had any luck even getting in touch with Tesla? I've already emailed [email protected] following the manual's recommendation days ago. No response. I tried calling support... was on hold for over 30 minutes and then the phone cut out on me. I've been waiting with online chat for close to an hour now, despite the chat window saying it would be '2 minutes' until an agent joins (see screenshot below). I've also emailed other Tesla support addresses all with no response. I'm desperate to get in touch with anyone at Tesla about this issue.

View attachment 889312
I'm in Canada, and so far the service seems atrocious. I went to the tesla site and after going through the support page, I was directed to send a message to Tesla explaining the problem, which I did 3 days ago. I was told a member of the tesla team will get back to me shortly. I have yet to hear back. Will try calling my local service centre later today. I hope these types of faults on the chargers are rare and mine just happened to be a dud. Otherwise I will be having serious buyer's remorse.

Just an update... they did eventually get back to me from the email address [email protected].

They asked to send photos of the unit plugged into the car, the unit itself with the red light, etc. I did that AND sent them a video of the issue. They got back to me after a couple days and said they were going to send a replacement unit with instructions on how to swap it out myself. Need to send the original unit back.

Interestingly though, a day after they issued a replacement, the light on the original magically turned green and it began operating as normal! (?!?!). Charged our car no problem. But then, somehow, our power flickered that evening (haven't had a power issue since the one that caused this problem to begin with oh, more than two weeks ago) and, BAM, back to a solid red light!

So strange for it to 1) start working again normally just a day after Tesla shipped out a replacement and 2) have another power outage just hours later, knocking it out again.

I hope, really hope, we just have a dud unit, and the replacement won't have this same issue after a power outage. But if it does, it's going to take more digging to get to the bottom of this. I feel like when the power goes out, and it tries to come back online, the internet isn't up as fast as the wall charger and it just can't get back online for some reason. That's my theory at least. Perhaps a software update could fix it?

Don't know... but I'll update our situation once we get the replacement on the wall. I'll cut power to it to mimic a power outage and see how it reacts without cutting off the internet, and then throw the switch on the whole house to also cut off the internet and see if that might cause the problem. I'm determined to figure it out. I installed a 240v plug as a backup charging source but feel much better using the Wall Connector.

What is the part number on the original unit, does it end in a revision "G?" Mine is 1457768-02-G. (Purchased mid-'22)

The latest firmware is 22.41.2, but if it's a hardware fault, software/firmware can only do so much. Maybe you have an older generation unit that has some of the early bugs that were happening when the unit first launched. (People were having trouble maintaining 48 amps, if I recall, it would ramp down after a bit)

The wall connector doesn't need an internet connection to function properly - regarding your point about the internet connection. My friend's hasn't been on Wi-Fi for over a year now and it's still running strong. (Vehicles can push firmware updates to non-connected Wall connectors)