Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the online order form “white” is still $1500.00

Fred

You likely know this, but the free white and the white currently available are not the same. As the OP said the soon to be free white is supposed to be a flat white color. The current white color is a multicoat pearl white with metallic flakes in it.

Put side by side its likely they will look fairly different, at least if you go by other manufacturers who have flat white and a multi color / tri coat white (like BMW).

You likely know this, but the free white and the white currently available are not the same. As the OP said the soon to be free white is supposed to be a flat white color. The current white color is a multicoat pearl white with metallic flakes in it.

Put side by side its likely they will look fairly different, at least if you go by other manufacturers who have flat white and a multi color / tri coat white (like BMW).
Would you be surprised though if Tesla made pearl white free after concluding that having another Bay for flat white creates more trouble?
Like selling SR+ as SR...

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

I have the pearl white awd right now but thinking of purchase SR+ also and would just pick solid white, just don't know when Mr Musk decides to actually make it available..

Would you be surprised though if Tesla made pearl white free after concluding that having another Bay for flat white creates more trouble?
Like selling SR+ as SR...

I would, yeah if only because the white now is one of the most expensive colors. They got rid of silver a while ago so, maybe they could use that? I think that flat white paint will be cheaper (from a cost to tesla perspective) than the multi color white.

Strange move indeed. I bet they debated dropping Pear and replacing with white but as Elon stated they are trying to minimize to offer repainted replacement parts and this would add another SKU to the mix. Does seem odd to offer such a premium paint as standard though. Especially demoting it below 3 of the other 4 colors.:eek:

Strange move indeed. I bet they debated dropping Pear and replacing with white but as Elon stated they are trying to minimize to offer repainted replacement parts and this would add another SKU to the mix. Does seem odd to offer such a premium paint as standard though. Especially demoting it below 3 of the other 4 colors.:eek:
Maybe pearl white had the least problems because they have proper multi coats.
And that is where Tesla decided money would be saved by not needing to do paint correction post delivery. And Tesla is encouraging people to order the least problematic color.