TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solution for finding the 'lost' Model S Key?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pete8314, Jun 27, 2013.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

#1 pete8314, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    I love the Model S key, but it's an awesome example of form over function. Although I've not lost one yet, my local SC reports that many owners have. I saw this link last night, and it looks like an interesting solution to helping find lost keys:

Home | StickNFind - Home of the StickNFind, StickNFind Pro, and MeterPlug

I've no affiliation with the company, and haven't (yet) used the product, but I'll probably buy a few to try out.

Either way, looks interesting. There's another option, Tile, which looks even smarter, but it's not out until the end of the year.

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Personally, I've had a keyless FOB car since 2006 and haven't yet lost a key.

3. strider

strider Active Member

I agree. I lose my keyless fobs way less often than keyed ones. That's because the fob never leaves my pocket. If I've lost my key I just dig through the dirty clothes hamper - I always find it in a pants pocket :)

4. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I have lost one of my MS fobs and this is the first time ever. I have been using keyless entry fobs for over 10 years. I think this is because the MS ones are very light and smooth - and it is easy for it to fall out of the pockets. And it is all black so it is hard to find. After my $370 incident, I will start using a sleeve with a clip so it has a bit more heft and friction to them and I can secure it. Incidentally, the few times I dropped mine were when I was doing a sport - biking, ultimate frisbee, running etc.

5. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

My local SC has replaced 'several' lost keys for other customers.

They're the Apple TV remote of the key world, always losing those things.

6. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I find the glossy finish too slippery--the key has squirted out of my hand several times. I'd like to see a matt finish.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Get a thumb drive holder, then you can keep it on your key ring.

9. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Touche'. Kinda like free advertising :)

Interesting find. That it can light up and beep are nice features.

10. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

@Pete. Just curious why you think the Tile is better?

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Conceptually it seems like a smarter solution to me, but it does rely on mass adoption, so there's a risk there. The fact that it could work like a global crowd-sourced lost n found is really clever, to me at least!

12. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I didn't necessarily see the Tile as a better product either.

13. kupermanp

kupermanp Member

I have a stick n find I use for my wife's keys. I've only had it for a few days but it seams to work well. The "page" function is nice for localizing it. You do have to be close enough for it to pair which in my experience seems to be 20-30ft (using a iPhone 4s). Once paired its great. The disk is pretty big (slightly smaller than a quarter and a little bit thicker)

14. AC1K

AC1K Member

i would say, just dont loose it, ive never lost my keys in the 12 years ive been driving.

when you go home at the end of the day, ALWAYS put your keys and wallet in the same spot (mine is a small tablet i put in my room specifically for "stuff in my pocket")
    when you are out and about, always have a pocket designated for keys, and one for your wallet, this way if one is not present, your body will actually tell you from muscle memory because it feels awkward.

if some of your clothes don't have a pocket where your keys and wallet are supposed to go, throw them out or give them away, then buy clothes that have the pockets in the correct locations.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Like these?

16. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I agree, but none of the ladies I live with (1 wife, 2 kids) would even comprehend this concept.

17. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I rarely lose my keys. However, this is one cool gadget. Would love to attach them to my kids. Do you think anyone notice if they start wearing collars?