Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for rusty brake rotor hats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently this product is intended to be sprayed on the rotor surface itself. There's a secondary usage in cleaning up rusted areas which is the application of interest for this thread.

My write-up: 2018.08.05: Rotor Hat Restore

Looks beautiful.

Do you know if the the surface area where the pad meets the rotor looks better now than before?

Last edited:
I’m definitely going to try this.

Just a couple of comments - I wouldn’t use cold galvanizing (zinc based) as a substitute. They aren’t made for the temps you will see on the rotors.

Aluminum particles will convert to aluminum oxide pretty quickly when heated in air (this is part of the thermite reaction). I wonder if they’ve worked out a trick where the particles that stay in place serve as paint, and the ones that get rubbed by the pad get oxidized and those particles scrub the rotor clean before getting blown away

I just did this today. In short, it looks good so far and I'll see how it holds up. Apparently holds up for a long time, if not forever(?) according to posts on this topic.

2018.08.05: Rotor Hat Restore

2018-08-05-rotor-hat-restore-03.jpg

2018-08-05-rotor-hat-restore-04.jpg

2018-08-05-title.jpg
[/QUOTE
Where did you purchase it. All the rave but no directions as to WHERE TO BUY? The companies website doenst have it for sale..

Cosmetically it holds up relatively well around the hub. I'd recommend freshening it up annually as Lloyd mentioned since the outer edges (where it meets the rotor surface) gets a bit tarnished by the rust as it bleeds onto the SBSed section whenever wheel cleaning is done via spray bottle. The hub itself doesn't stay super bright either although I generally don't make an effort to clean the hub itself.

In any case it looks a lot better than without the SBS treatment. I'd say it's been worth it so far.

Reactions: mambro
And one last question, what happens when you clean your wheels? Is this coating Sensitive to certain cleaners? Does it stain? For example, I had rotors that were zinc plated and I used a wheel cleaner that turns purple with in contact with rust, and break dust...it turns my pretty silver rotors brown. So how do these hold up against whatever you clean your wheels with?

I bought one can to cover all 4 corners ... and likely still have enough to do one or more entire refreshes. I spray relatively conservatively though.

When I clean the wheels with something like Sonax Full Effect, the reddish bleeding effect from the iron deposits make its way onto the textured surface of the rotor hat/hub so it looks a bit pitted. However, I almost never make a direct effort to clean the hub either so it's not like I'm doing a thorough wheel-cleaning job by removing the wheels completely (which would be ideal since I can clean the wheel barrel as well as the inside of the spokes) but that's more work than I want to do on a monthly basis.

• Informative
Reactions: mambro