Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for saggy roof sunshade (for some)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my old Model 3, on long trips I let the kids watch a movie on a cheap tablet that was mounted to the roof glass with a Sosche suction cup mount. It worked and stuck flawlessly for two years. However, I resorted to mounting the suction cup on the front-most portion of the roof, slightly bending my Amazon purchased sunshade out of the way so that I could mount the suction cup.

Fast forward to my replacement 7-seater model Y. Again I purchased a roof sunshade from Amazon and it had a bit of sag, as expected from reading forums. I took advantage of the design of the Sosche suction cup mount by cutting a small slit (3/4 inch) in the center of the vehicle. I then squeezed and mushed the suction cup so that it fit through the small hole and the rigid plastic base pulled up the sunshade nearly flush with the glass roof. No sag. Done!

Bonus: The new version of the magnetic Sosche mount has a sticky suction cup that has stronger adhesion to the glass than my older Sosche mount.

Sunshade:
Tesla Model Y Roof Sunshade Panoramic Sunroof Sunshade Tesla Model Y Accessories 2020 2021

Tablet Mount:
SCOSCHE MAGTHD2 MagicMount XL Universal Magnetic Suction Cup Mount Holder for Mobile Devices, Black

20210424_221944.jpg
20210424_221610.jpg
20210424_221250.jpg

Thanks for the informative post! This takes care of two issues.

In my old Model 3, on long trips I let the kids watch a movie on a cheap tablet that was mounted to the roof glass with a Sosche suction cup mount. It worked and stuck flawlessly for two years. However, I resorted to mounting the suction cup on the front-most portion of the roof, slightly bending my Amazon purchased sunshade out of the way so that I could mount the suction cup.

Fast forward to my replacement 7-seater model Y. Again I purchased a roof sunshade from Amazon and it had a bit of sag, as expected from reading forums. I took advantage of the design of the Sosche suction cup mount by cutting a small slit (3/4 inch) in the center of the vehicle. I then squeezed and mushed the suction cup so that it fit through the small hole and the rigid plastic base pulled up the sunshade nearly flush with the glass roof. No sag. Done!

Bonus: The new version of the magnetic Sosche mount has a sticky suction cup that has stronger adhesion to the glass than my older Sosche mount.

Sunshade:
Tesla Model Y Roof Sunshade Panoramic Sunroof Sunshade Tesla Model Y Accessories 2020 2021

Tablet Mount:
SCOSCHE MAGTHD2 MagicMount XL Universal Magnetic Suction Cup Mount Holder for Mobile Devices, Black

View attachment 656749View attachment 656750View attachment 656751

Reactions: star7030
We hate to sound biased but we just came out with our sag free sunshade. Let me know your thoughts.
Hard to believe that it is sag free. Do you have a youtube clip?

Not to rain in your parade, but that seems unsafe to Mount a tablet that way. Aren’t you afraid it can come flying off? I’m sure you don’t drive fast with your kids in the car but what if there was some emergency maneuver that had to be performed.
On a side note, I have the RPM Tesla roof shade and haven’t used it because the sag would bother me.

Hello everyone. We have a small amount of sunshade inventory that already arrived at our warehouse a couple of days ago. To those of you that recently purchased from us, we are going to be shipping your order soon. We cannot gaurantee that all of those who ordered will be included in this batch. We are starting our next batch of production shortly.