Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. You proved my point. And there's a ton more people just like you. You don't care that when you paid for Supercharging, Tesla said it was for long distant travel. You're going to use it "local or not". You don't care that when Tesla "sold you something", it was not local charging but long distance travel. You will completely disregard that, and play the "victim" role, as if you have been sold something you "can't use".

This is why, as a society, we default to the lowest common denominator and anything good gets trashed. Try leaving out a bowl of candy on Halloween with a sign to only take one. Our species fails the test. I guess it makes sense since we're barely out of the jungles as a species and evolution has taught us to be selfish. It's too bad we can't collectively rise above that.

Are you saying that TESLA is selling people a product that they don't want them to use?

I have to give it to TESLA.....that's the business move of the century.

Are you saying that TESLA is selling people a product that they don't want them to use?

Seriously? Is this really that difficult of a concept to grasp?

Tesla is selling a product they want you to use as much as you need and want -- with only one very simple caveat -- it's for long distance travel only!

I use it twice most weekends. In fact, I used the Supercharger in Hope, BC yesterday and I will use it again tomorrow. It's halfway on my long distance travels from my home to my cabin where I try to spend most weekends.

Use it to your heart's content. Just use it for long distance travel only and not for your daily charge.

Got it?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Canuck, post: 1534258, member: 18896]

Use it to your heart's content. Just use it for long distance travel only and not for your daily charge.

Got it?[/QUOTE]

Well there you go, the second silliest thing on the internet today. You aren't allowed to use the car for local travel.

if people cared about the environment they would use public transport for long distance travel

Well there you go, the second silliest thing on the internet today. You aren't allowed to use the car for local travel.

What? This place has gone nuts lately. You can use the car for local travel. You can't use Superchargers for local charging.

if people cared about the environment they would use public transport for long distance travel

The only public transit around here is by way of fossil fuels. My car runs on rain/snow water. BC is 95% hydroelectric! BC Hydro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So please get off of your high horse.

But even if you were right, you can reduce everything. In fact, committing suicide is the best thing for the environment. Next is having no children. I'll count out both and drive an EV.

Relative Privation

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb and newtman
^^^^
Welcome! I'm hoping that Tesla's new daisy chained HPWC option will be a viable alternative for rentals. Indoor and outdoor use.

Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

Features:

• Integrated cable management
  • 13 levels of configurable circuit breaker settings, from 15 amps to 100 amps
  • Power sharing feature that allows a single circuit breaker to be connected and shared, servicing up to 4 Wall Connectors - an optimized solution for customers with multiple Tesla vehicles
  • Designed for indoor or outdoor installation

For bullet #3, maybe a "solution for multiple Tesla customers..."

Back on topic:

IMHO, buy the biggest battery you can afford for the model 3. Also here's a guy on Youtube with some charging options for rentals.
It's a way to boost the 110V charging, but doesn't really necessarily help the situation where you don't have a garage and you have to have the cable traverse a sidewalk to connect.

^^^^
Welcome! I'm hoping that Tesla's new daisy chained HPWC option will be a viable alternative for rentals. Indoor and outdoor use.
Still hardwired though, so would still need permission from the owner to install. Also, the owner might prefer J1772.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Interesting you mention the J1772. Here's a guy who made an adapter for his BMW i3 (HPWC to J1772). Used an HPWC to charge his i3.

This may make the HPWC daisy chain option more economical for an owner or owners to install (and potential new revenue stream for Tesla?).

That being said. J1772 charging options do seem considerably cheaper. Found this installation site:

J1772 Adapter | Home

The cable--sidewalk thing. That's the hard part.

Last edited:
Interesting you mention the J1772. Here's a guy who made an adapter for his BMW i3 (HPWC to J1772). Used an HPWC to charge his i3.

This may make the HPWC daisy chain option more economical for an owner or owners to install (and potential new revenue stream for Tesla?).

That being said. J1772 charging options do seem considerably cheaper. Found this installation site:

J1772 Adapter | Home
We had a long thread on the ethics of such adapters (the video clearly shows "Tesla charging only" so it's not even a grey area).
Concerns about Tesla to non-Tesla charging adapters

I doubt Tesla will be building such an adapter as it defeats the purpose of the proprietary connector in the first place (Tesla hopes other automakers will adopt Tesla's connector and invest proportionately in the infrastructure). It also circumvents Tesla's destination charging network: there are some J1772 also installed, but the HPWC are in a 2:1 ratio in order to make sure they are primarily available for Tesla owners (and if any automaker adopts Tesla's connector).

Last edited:
@stopcrazypp, Thanks for the link. Will go through and study some more about it.

Just thinking that since Tesla has moved forward with daisy chained capable HPWC that it would be a nice way to increase home/rental charging capacity and offload demand (whether real or not) on supercharger use. Would be nice to see greater orders of the daisy chain capable HPWCs for apartments/work garages etc... Especially if it is an easier way for the owners to provide charging capacity. In that case even non-proprietary adapters would be nice to allow more vehicles to use the HPWCs (and for apartment owners increase the pool of potential EV renters).

I know in that example it's a clear violation of the sign. However if I had an apartment complex and wanted to find a solution that renters would want to use, the daisy chained HPWC would seem to be a great solution (since it self-regulates). Especially if there are adapters out there that non-Teslas could use and thus not constrain me to only Tesla owners.

Street parking will be an issue.

Seriously? Is this really that difficult of a concept to grasp?

Tesla is selling a product they want you to use as much as you need and want -- with only one very simple caveat -- it's for long distance travel only!

I use it twice most weekends. In fact, I used the Supercharger in Hope, BC yesterday and I will use it again tomorrow. It's halfway on my long distance travels from my home to my cabin where I try to spend most weekends.

Got it?

You aren't hearing me. There is a Super Charging option that costs $2500 when you buy the car. If Super Charging was a free option...then YES I would not even attempt to use the Super Chargers. I at least want $2500 in charging.

What is the problem with that? I pay $2500 for supercharging and I use $2500 worth of super charging.

Oh I get it...you want people to pay $2500 for super charging and not use it at all.....I see.

So some of the discussions here go somewhere? When has that ever happened?

Come on, jump in.

Sure, why not?

The fix for this is a metered charge ($) for Supercharger use within a geo-fenced radius of the registered address of the vehicle. Let's call it 20 miles. Charge a rate significantly higher than the prevailing electricity rate inside that area. $$ is the only fair and effective way to regulate the use of anything. If you choose to live somewhere where you can't home charge, it's your choice to swipe the card, move, or not buy the vehicle. Choices.

On a side note, I hope the IT team that generated the query results for the "letter" isn't the same team building the geo-fencing logic for any future charging mechanism. Seriously? You can't accurately write the queries, and spot check / validate the results before you send out a letter admonishing a targeted group of customers?

As an IT guy, I find it disturbing that a technology company can't get the basics right...

Tesla Letter To Rein In Local Supercharger Use Goes Wrong

Reactions: voip-ninja

J1772 Adapter | Home

The cable--sidewalk thing. That's the hard part.

This is totally wrong. They didn't pay Tesla $2500 up front for anything.

I pay $2500 for supercharging and I use $2500 worth of super charging

Ok, so let's say it costs Tesla $2000 (per car) of the $2500 to actually fund the site plan, building and long term maintenance of the site. That gives you rights to $500 worth of electricity over the lifetime of the car.

Guessing you aren't going to charge overnight at the supercharger, that would be inconvenient, but instead use it during peak daily periods where the local utilities have "peak demand based pricing + charges", you will effectively be using electricity which is much more expensive for Tesla to purchase, than that cheap overnight electricity you could pay for at your own house should you choose to charge at home like the majority of us.

Let's say the demand charges raise the price to $.25/kWh, let's say the Model 3 has 54kWh usable storage, that is just less than 40 full (0-100) or 80 "half" supercharges at the $500 you feel you have pre-paid for.

Any bet's on someone who's making the "I'll take what's mine" statements will stay within their "paid rights"...
Hmmm....

At least here in Ontario, we will have a lot of options over the next few years as our government funds DC fast charger roll out. Most will be 50 kW, and they'll charge $10/hr, but whatever, if you need to charge, you pay to charge.

In 35000 km of EV driving over 2.5 years, I've charged at home 99% of the time, it's cheap and easy. There are hundreds of free charging stations around me, but why would I use them when charging overnight in my garage is so convenient, and makes use of the surplus overnight power production here?

Reactions: melindav
You aren't hearing me. There is a Super Charging option that costs $2500 when you buy the car. If Super Charging was a free option...then YES I would not even attempt to use the Super Chargers. I at least want $2500 in charging.

What is the problem with that? I pay $2500 for supercharging and I use $2500 worth of super charging.

Oh I get it...you want people to pay $2500 for super charging and not use it at all.....I see.
He's not saying don't use superchargers at all, he is saying use it for its intended purpose (he argues long distance driving). In actuality, Tesla policy explicitly allows those with no easy access to home charging to use superchargers (that was what the city chargers in large cities like Hong Kong were installed for).

However, Tesla had never suggested they wanted people to use it as a replacement for home charging when that option was easily available (that was the subject of the letter about local supercharging). Tesla had also adjusted their strategy somewhat: they suggested they would install city superchargers in NYC and SF years ago, but recently in NYC ,Tesla said they would install slower destination chargers instead (in paid parking garages).

Reactions: Canuck
Here's a solution:

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

I'd hope some of the people telling people not to Supercharge would remember that not everyone has charging, let alone parking.

Reactions: Canuck and newtman
Here's a solution:

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

I'd hope some of the people telling people not to Supercharge would remember that not everyone has charging, let alone parking.
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. But do note that it does not mention that these superchargers were for locals who already have home charging, and also note the date is from 2 years ago. As I noted, the San Francisco, New York stations are still nowhere to be seen (New York has a JFK station, but none in the actual Manhattan city area, much less a cluster of them, as they done in other cities). And Tesla recently switched strategy in New York to destination chargers in paid garages, not superchargers.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/17/tesla-stations-in-nyc-on-verge-of-outnumbering-gas-stations/

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler