Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with TESLA is that ELON is supposedly saying something totally different that what the Tesla Sales People are saying. Give me a document that states how I should or shouldn't use the SC's.
For something as important as the use of SC's there should be an official legal document of some kind.

Again and Again.....I'm going with the latest statement I've been given...and that has been by the Tesla sales team. I don't know ELON and I haven't "heard" him say anything. I heard the sales team. I don't accept some article from a 3rd person about what ELON said. It should be clear on the Tesla Website or something official. There is NOTHING in my documentation or owners manuals or anything about Super Charging.

Some people here made up additional rules - like "If you don't have any charging opportunities at home...then you can use it". They neither work for TESLA nor have any official power to enforce their made up rules and regulations. So for everyone that wants to supercharge - please feel free to do so - per the sales people. Call them and ask for yourself - or call ELON if you have his number. Cause there aint no documentation.

I supercharged today. No one else showed up while I was there. Just me and some birds.

I'm super charging just like the sales people tell me. Sales people carry the TESLA logo.

Last edited:
I thought the newer parking meters are able to take credit cards, and therefore hooked into the electrical grid.

Then if that's the case, couldn't cities that have extensive meter networks also add ev charging capacity to the meters? Then an ev could charge up in the street, and if a city wanted to, they could get additional (hopefully non extortist) revenue.

My question to you is: how should I feel if I drive hundreds of thousands of miles FOR DISTANCE TRAVEL on the Supercharger network. Tesla may not "make" any money off me. Was I "greedy"?

I doesn't make a difference what he does or does not do, he clearly is going to do it no matter what is said.
What I did was call out the fact he felt he PAID FOR (I keep using capitals because of how funny it was that he kept using them) $2500 in electricity, I pointed out he was likely "owed" something like $500 in electricity as the other $2000 was sunk infrastructure spending. It is illogical to argue otherwise. Personally, I don't care how much supercharging people do, but they should not rationalize it as a $2500 amount of electricity they feel they pre-paid for, when they don't consider the infrastructure cost. If they choose to feel "owed" by Tesla, then use $500 in electricity at $0.25/kWh and enjoy it! Use more than that, and the justification just comes across as hollow. Your point is there is no need or justification, which is totally cool with me, but the guy keeps trying to justify it, and the logic of that makes no sense.

I'm getting close to taking a long road trip in our model X with two small kids, and if we got to a supercharger and found it full of locals charging that would be really frustrating. What was planned to be a 20 minute stop may be over an hour. Relying on etiquette will never work either. Right now it's not a problem (except maybe in one or two locations in CA), but I could see it being a problem later as more and more Tesla's are on the road.

I think you'll start seeing more apartment/condo complexes adding charging parking spots as more people have electric cars. If you live in such a scenario I suggest you start asking them now to add chargers. I've been bugging a certain hotel about their lack of charging options for the past few months because I will be staying there later this year. They are beginning to take me seriously.

There are also more public level 2 and 3 charging stations being installed all over the place--more than people realize. Just look at plugshare and you'll notice many charging stations that you never knew existed. I imagine the build out of public chargers will keep rising quickly as the Model 3 and Chevy Bolt are released. Businesses have an incentive to install chargers as it attracts customers. One shopping center near me has four L2 and one L3 charger and if I'm in the area I'll often stop there for lunch just because I can get some free miles on my car. Fortunately, installing charging stations is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Electricity is already everywhere.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
One shopping center near me has four L2 and one L3 charger and if I'm in the area I'll often stop there for lunch just because I can get some free miles on my car. Fortunately, installing charging stations is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Electricity is already everywhere.
Don't say that too loud. You will get lambasted in this thread. lol

Good for you. I believe Electricity is going to equate to WIFI as far as use is concerned. Its everywhere.
Future = If you want to attract customers - provide free electricity for cars, free wifi free continental breakfast, free parking, complimentary everything.

Don't say that too loud. You will get lambasted in this thread. lol

Good for you. I believe Electricity is going to equate to WIFI as far as use is concerned. Its everywhere.
Future = If you want to attract customers - provide free electricity for cars, free wifi free continental breakfast, free parking, complimentary everything.

Except that's what those chargers are meant for! I would view Superchargers differently until there are a lot more of them. I also always give up my spot if I see a Leaf or i3 looking for a spot since they actually need the charge.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I said "uh no" then quoted Tesla's own words on what Superchargers "are there for."

That is meaningless.
You should post the rules/restrictions that legally determine a person's rights to a supercharger.

Words about "intent" and what is "cool" is irrelevant to a discussion about what people can use the supercharger for, especially since they can later claim "cool means only 1 use of the supercharger per month". This is why there are thies little things like contracts and agreements. Do you want them later saying "Well, even though you paid cash, we didn't intend that you could actually keep the car for more than 3 years" ? LOL.

Since new owners are not being asked to sign up for restrictions on their supercharging, seems that Tesla has not determined that there is a big enough issue to codify any specific rules.

So charge away!

I'm getting close to taking a long road trip in our model X with two small kids, and if we got to a supercharger and found it full of locals charging that would be really frustrating. What was planned to be a 20 minute stop may be over an hour. Relying on etiquette will never work either. Right now it's not a problem (except maybe in one or two locations in CA), but I could see it being a problem later as more and more Tesla's are on the road.
If this were to happen, and if Tesla is intending to let locals charge at Superchargers, then the issue becomes Tesla's rather than the people there, and so I would expect Tesla to have expanded Supercharging stations by adding more charging stations and/or adding more supercharger locations.

Reactions: callmesam
I don't think it is particularly helpful for people to come here and think Superchargers are there for local charging if other options are available. That's clearly not what "they are there for".

It is really unhelpful for people to start promoting imaginary restrictions on owners where none exist.

The SC are for charging your car. That is what they are there for.

There is no legal restriction of only using a SC if there are no other options available.
Even Elon says it is cool to do that occasionally. (yes, he said occasionally but for some that may mean once every other week, 7%, for others that may mean 1 per year - either way, they are being cool) and there still are NO legal restrictions.

Besides, if a person doesn't have a garage, they don't have the option to charge overnight.

I doesn't make a difference what he does or does not do, he clearly is going to do it no matter what is said.
What I did was call out the fact he felt he PAID FOR (I keep using capitals because of how funny it was that he kept using them) $2500 in electricity, I pointed out he was likely "owed" something like $500 in electricity as the other $2000 was sunk infrastructure spending. It is illogical to argue otherwise. Personally, I don't care how much supercharging people do, but they should not rationalize it as a $2500 amount of electricity they feel they pre-paid for, when they don't consider the infrastructure cost. If they choose to feel "owed" by Tesla, then use $500 in electricity at $0.25/kWh and enjoy it! Use more than that, and the justification just comes across as hollow. Your point is there is no need or justification, which is totally cool with me, but the guy keeps trying to justify it, and the logic of that makes no sense.

I agree that he paid $2500 for Supercharger "activation" not electricity. How Tesla allocates those dollars isn't important to me, other than intellectually.

I also agree that there's no need to justify or rationalize. Just enjoy the car.

So this is maybe kinda old, but I remember reading stuff like this which led me to believe there will never be a pay-per-use model.
Tesla Wants To Open Its Supercharger Standard To Other Electric Car Makers
Will Tesla give an access to net of Superchargers to other companies? - question to Tesla's board of management. | Tesla Motors
(Read MountainVoyageur's 1st reply)

Maybe they'd consider a time-period activation, like when someone anticipates a vacation or something; but pay-per-use would directly oppose the original offering.

Oh and when I bought my car the offer was to use the superchargers anytime as much as I want.
As a matter of fact, when at the service center 12 miles from my house with over 120 rated miles on the dash, they asked if I wanted them to plug it into the supercharger.
Saying "superchargers enable long distance travel" does not mean "don't use them for local charging."
If I'm driving by and have the time, I'll plug in for 20 minutes or so and check my email while typically no-one else is at the 8 bay station.

I think you'll start seeing more apartment/condo complexes adding charging parking spots as more people have electric cars. If you live in such a scenario I suggest you start asking them now to add chargers. I've been bugging a certain hotel about their lack of charging options for the past few months because I will be staying there later this year. They are beginning to take me seriously.

There are also more public level 2 and 3 charging stations being installed all over the place--more than people realize. Just look at plugshare and you'll notice many charging stations that you never knew existed. I imagine the build out of public chargers will keep rising quickly as the Model 3 and Chevy Bolt are released. Businesses have an incentive to install chargers as it attracts customers. One shopping center near me has four L2 and one L3 charger and if I'm in the area I'll often stop there for lunch just because I can get some free miles on my car. Fortunately, installing charging stations is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Electricity is already everywhere.

I think you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. I live near two of busiest superchargers in the US (San Mateo and Mountain View), and the only time I've seen them clogged, is in San Mateo when they're being hogged by limo drivers, not locals. We definitely need a lot more charging infrastructure by the time the 3 comes out, but it's really not that big a problem today.

and the only time I've seen them clogged, is in San Mateo when they're being hogged by limo drivers, not locals.

I've seen this come up several times in posts that limo / taxi / livery drivers are Supercharging for commercial operations. Perhaps I missed it, but do they pay in this situation, or are they charging free as well? Surprised there isn't more controversy over this (or maybe there is?)

I've seen this come up several times in posts that limo / taxi / livery drivers are Supercharging for commercial operations. Perhaps I missed it, but do they pay in this situation, or are they charging free as well? Surprised there isn't more controversy over this (or maybe there is?)

Nope, they don't pay, charging free. I think Elon has gone as far as saying he's ok with this, after all it gets a lot more people into Teslas and helps sell the brand.

Reactions: callmesam

I don't see why this would be controversial at all.

This is exactly what superchargers are for. To charge your car.

These people in particular put on a lot of miles per day and it isn't as if they can drive home and recharge in time to take on more fares that day.

Besides, these drivers are replacing those super-yucky ICE taxi's, and that is supercool and saving polar bears and stuff.

On top of all that, there never were any restrictions on when you can use a SC, so there should be no controversy at all.

Oh and when I bought my car the offer was to use the superchargers anytime as much as I want.
As a matter of fact, when at the service center 12 miles from my house with over 120 rated miles on the dash, they asked if I wanted them to plug it into the supercharger.
Saying "superchargers enable long distance travel" does not mean "don't use them for local charging."
If I'm driving by and have the time, I'll plug in for 20 minutes or so and check my email while typically no-one else is at the 8 bay station.

Absolutely!! That's exactly what I was told also.