Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was walking in my neighborhood (Noe Valley, San Francisco) this morning and came across this plug coming out of the sidewalk. The plus was charging a Mercedes. I guess the owner used the underground pipe to connect the plug to his house. It's a pretty discret solution that doesn't leave a cable on the sidewalk as I have already seen many times.

And the best news of all: I have also a similar plate in front of my house :)

dg5n3QR.jpg

I was walking in my neighborhood (Noe Valley, San Francisco) this morning and came across this plug coming out of the sidewalk. The plus was charging a Mercedes. I guess the owner used the underground pipe to connect the plug to his house. It's a pretty discret solution that doesn't leave a cable on the sidewalk as I have already seen many times.

And the best news of all: I have also a similar plate in front of my house :)
That's clever but likely also a code violation. You aren't supposed to share water based utilities through the same trench as electrical, much less inside the pipe itself.

That's clever but likely also a code violation. You aren't supposed to share water based utilities through the same trench as electrical, much less inside the pipe itself.

What makes you think the pipe is water related? It looks to me like the sidewalk was cut, a conduit added, and re-cemented. They probably should have painted it though.

Thank you kindly.

The spot was in front of his driveway so I guess he is the only one using it. He had also another plug next to his garage door which makes me think he has 2 electric cars.

I'm not sure if the hole is for the water pipe but it's definitely something related to the city as most of the houses have one in the sidewalk.

What makes you think the pipe is water related? It looks to me like the sidewalk was cut, a conduit added, and re-cemented. They probably should have painted it though.

Thank you kindly.
That cover is a common occurrence in San Francisco. It is a sewer vent that in general helps to prevent odors from the sewer line getting into people's homes, but is sometimes used for clearing blockages in the sewer line from the sidewalk (I know because I've seem plumbers clearing clogs using a snake through that cover).

So a cable through there means it must be either snaked through the pipe, or very near the sewer line.

Missing Sewer Vent Covers | San Francisco Public Works
(see page 12 for diagram)
http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=580

Given the cover shown doesn't have holes (the one next to it does), it might be a general cleanout (so not air venting).
http://www.mountainview.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=6978

The sidewalk was likely cut to install the sewer line, not to install the conduit. Look at how old and rusted out the cover is.

I'm not a plumber or electrician, but from working on some projects with P&GE (the local electrical/gas utility company in San Francisco) they will not let you install electrical wires through the same trench as "wet" utilities (this includes water and sewer).

If that cable is the cable from EVSE to car (meaning it is not energized when not charging) that might be more acceptable, but if the EVSE is on the outside (meaning cable is always energized), then it creates quite a bit of danger for the plumber who might have to use that cover when clearing a clog.

Last edited:
Interesting. Many places it's illegal to park in front of a driveway, even if it's your own. Also, the cord is a potential trip hazard to pedestrians. I see lots of possible problems with this approach (sorry!). I would imagine that a better solution would be to have a trench in the sidewalk with a removable cover and an above-ground plug in the yard. This approach would permit a safe above-ground electrical connection with a safe pathway to the street parking spot (assuming there is some way to reserve that particular spot!).

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Hijacking this thread for a somewhat similar dilemma.

To put it simple, there is a very high probability that I'll have to relocate from CA to TX, if that were to occur I will be renting an apartment, as buying a home right after seems like a terrible idea. What would be the best way to charge a 3, I might have access at work, but I'll rather plan incase I don't.

Hijacking this thread for a somewhat similar dilemma.

To put it simple, there is a very high probability that I'll have to relocate from CA to TX, if that were to occur I will be renting an apartment, as buying a home right after seems like a terrible idea. What would be the best way to charge a 3, I might have access at work, but I'll rather plan incase I don't.
I don't know how viable this is in TX, but in CA it is possible to rent a private garage and as long as it has at least has a 110v outlet, that can give you 30 miles of range overnight. Then the rest you can supplement with work or public charging, which you can locate with plugshare:
PlugShare

I don't know how viable this is in TX, but in CA it is possible to rent a private garage and as long as it has at least has a 110v outlet, that can give you 30 miles of range overnight. Then the rest you can supplement with work or public charging, which you can locate with plugshare:
PlugShare

I had no idea about PlugShare! Thanks a lot and I just signed up. Looks like I live smack dab in the middle of tons of charging options, but hopefully by that time I'l have a more permanent solution regardless.

just use a supercharger. that is what they are there for.

Uh, no...

"Superchargers are used for long distance travel, conveniently located along the most popular routes in North America, Europe and Asia."

Supercharging

With regard to locals charging, Tesla frowns upon it, although Elon Musk did say "it's cool to do occasionally" but he also said he doesn't want it become a regular habit and those who do use local ones got letters to that effect. Tesla knows when each car uses a supercharger so to expect to be able charge locally on a regular basis with the Model 3 doesn't seem like something that Tesla will allow, or that will work, since it will clog them up for those travelling through, unless Tesla changes the entire purpose of the SC network, which seems highly unlikely to me.