Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to not having HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Elon, not having a HUD or IC won't matter since the relevant information such as speed, range, distance, and time to destination will be shown with change in opacity thereby displaying it more prominently. Here's a crude image of that. Is that enough to solve the issue?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    346 KB · Views: 183
I'm mot sure that having all the information to the side is going to be ergonomic. The screen corner is closer to the driver's eye line than you get with the S/X, but it's still off to the side.

Obviously a touchscreen placement intended for both driver and front passenger is not going to be optimal for the very different purpose of viewing while driving. That is why most cars separate the instruments from the secondary systems.

What is known is, ergonomically, the Model 3 solution will be a compromise - and the reason is cost. I'm sure it will be workable for many people. What remains to be see is how good or bad a compromise overall it is.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I'm mot sure that having all the information to the side is going to be ergonomic. The screen corner is closer to the driver's eye line than you get with the S/X, but it's still off to the side.

Off to the side is still far better then looking down and thru a steering wheel..
I think once people drive the Model 3 and get used to the location they will hate driving cars where they need to look thru the steering wheel.

According to Elon, not having a HUD or IC won't matter since the relevant information such as speed, range, distance, and time to destination will be shown with change in opacity thereby displaying it more prominently. Here's a crude image of that. Is that enough to solve the issue?

From reading his tweet I was under the opposite impression, that the speed would be the overlay and that it would change opacity, not that the rest of the screen would.

Didn't they try this in mini Coopers for a bit?

Speaking of the modern version:

Yep, they tried and gave up on it. Though, to be fair, Mini's central speedo was very - well - central. Literally.

Model 3's central speedo is to the left (or assumedly right on RWD) of center.

BUT... Mini had a dash computer screen behind the steering wheel for a digital speed display.

Obviously a touchscreen placement intended for both driver and front passenger is not going to be optimal for the very different purpose of viewing while driving. That is why most cars separate the instruments from the secondary systems.

What is known is, ergonomically, the Model 3 solution will be a compromise - and the reason is cost. I'm sure it will be workable for many people. What remains to be see is how good or bad a compromise overall it is.

It is NOT cost, I wish people would stop saying that. If you can put an instrument cluster on the cheapest $12,000-$15,000 econobox cars out there (you can put it in a 35k-50k car. Tesla doesn't WANT to put in a driver side display this is a design choice.

It is NOT cost, I wish people would stop saying that. If you can put an instrument cluster on the cheapest $12,000-$15,000 econobox cars out there (you can put it in a 35k-50k car. Tesla doesn't WANT to put in a driver side display this is a design choice.
Everything has a cost. By not adding the second screen they are able to spend that money elsewhere. I'm assuming a lot of choices will be made (that a lot of people might not like) to keep the base price at $35,000.

Why do we need a solution where there isn't a problem?

I like how people complaining about a trunk opening that, by my estimation at least, was totally in line with typical compact sedans is a completely genuine concern that apparently warranted some re-engineering of the back of the car. But people who want to clearly and easily see their speed while driving? That's a frivolous issue, you couldn't possibly imagine how hard it would be to have a speedometer in front of the driver.

I actually agree with AnxietyRanger regarding cost being a (significant?) factor in this decision. But my take on the "cost" is not about the price for the specific parts of a display, but more around the "cost" of manufacturing efficiency.

Adding more displays means adding more wiring going to more places, which I have heard is often one of the more manual/non-robot-executed tasks in car manufacturing. Tesla has stated numerous times that they designed the Model 3 specifically with manufacturing in mind. Not including more displays might not save a lot of materials cost for each car, but it may mean the difference between hitting 100k/year and 500k/year.

Elon Musk on Twitter
What issue? I bet they have a workable solution for the instruments - they have many billions of dollars riding on this car. Imagine they've given it more than five minutes of thought.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.13.15 AM.png

Reactions: JeffK
With that logic, let's just ditch the AC, power windows and radio.
Has a list of standard features in the base model been announced yet?

I'm not saying the cost of adding a second screen is high. I have no idea how much it costs to design it, supply it, program it, redesign it for right hand drive market, etc... I agree that it is not a problem not having it, so I'm all for using the money saved to give me some other feature that I will appreciate (or keep the price down)