Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to not having HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Elon, not having a HUD or IC won't matter since the relevant information such as speed, range, distance, and time to destination will be shown with change in opacity thereby displaying it more prominently. Here's a crude image of that. Is that enough to solve the issue?

Elon Musk on Twitter
I reckon the M3 will come with a 'space- like' steering wheel which will have some information display capability.

Plus wiring, wiring duct work, the reworking/redesign of the dash, the CPU to power this new screen, and the weight all of this would add to a vehicle they're trying to squeeze every bit of range out of that they can.
I get what you're saying, but if a little extra signal wiring is that much of a problem, then perhaps Tesla shouldn't be making the Model 3. I would expect an automaker whose cars are based on electricity (read: wires) would not have in issue with a few more wires. Range detriment would be minuscule. Like 1/10 of a mile minuscule.

I get what you're saying, but if a little extra signal wiring is that much of a problem, then perhaps Tesla shouldn't be making the Model 3. I would expect an automaker whose cars are based on electricity (read: wires) would not have in issue with a few more wires. Range detriment would be minuscule. Like 1/10 of a mile minuscule.

Maybe it's not Tesla he's concerned about. Maybe it's another supplier.....

I think the cab-forward design is the biggest driver for the design choices they made. In the reveal Elon talked about how they moved the dash forward to gain passenger space. I bet the dash is super low compared to other cars because of that.

That was one of the first things I noticed about the Model 3's dash. By not having an instrument cluster in front of the driver, the dash is cut down significantly over a regular car, all the way across. I'm not exactly sure, but I think those contours extend out across the nose of the car. That adds up to a considerable weight savings, probably a couple of hundred pounds overall.

They end up needing less steel for the dash/firewall (that portion of the car is steel in the Model S/X), less aluminum in the nose, as well as simplified wiring harnesses in the dash. I've read the wiring harnesses in the Model S and X are one of the biggest pains with manufacturing. The cars have wiring going everywhere.

Everything in the car is a cost trade-off. They probably looked at manually cranked windows, but power windows have become so ubiquitous the manual mechanism might cost more than the power mechanism these days. Or the cost difference (with manufacturing costs) was negligible.

Eliminating the driver's instruments and putting everything on the center screen allows Tesla to cut down the dash more than just about any car on the market. They will probably pitch it as a feature (better forward visibility). This probably will be the wave of the future when cars become 100% automated. There will be no actual driver. One person will punch in the destination and the vehicle will do the rest. There will be no manual override. But that is sometime in the future. It's going to be several years until the software for that sort of thing is ready and another number of years until regulations catch up.

Reactions: electracity
According to Elon, not having a HUD or IC won't matter since the relevant information such as speed, range, distance, and time to destination will be shown with change in opacity thereby displaying it more prominently. Here's a crude image of that. Is that enough to solve the issue?

Elon Musk on Twitter

What is the point of having the rest of the screen if you can't read it?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Perhaps with color changing information as well, a smaller but similar to the SpaceX dragon 2 UI:
3031641-inline-10374967102040232578472687892559550333517622n.jpg

I think in general, making a $35k EV base model is probably pretty tough and can quickly become "death by a thousand cuts" with regards to cost. They probably had a lot of things they'd like to put in, and had to get rid of them all to get down to their price point. people have made excellent points that it's not just the screen cost (maybe $50?) but the TIME it takes to run the wire it, and how much that could potentially slow things down. You're talking about both paid human time, and time where that part of the assembly line isn't working on the next car. If at the end of the day, they can make 2 extra cars at 20% margins/avg sale price of $42k, that's potentially $16,000 lost that day just b/c people wanted a (potentially) antiquated and useless 2nd screen. These are obviously completely made-up numbers and there is probably a much bigger cumulative effect with everything they didn't put in, but you get the picture. Look at some of the articles about how fast he wants the line to move by the time they do Factory 1.0.

I think in general, making a $35k EV base model is probably pretty tough and can quickly become "death by a thousand cuts" with regards to cost. They probably had a lot of things they'd like to put in, and had to get rid of them all to get down to their price point. people have made excellent points that it's not just the screen cost (maybe $50?) but the TIME it takes to run the wire it, and how much that could potentially slow things down. You're talking about both paid human time, and time where that part of the assembly line isn't working on the next car. If at the end of the day, they can make 2 extra cars at 20% margins/avg sale price of $42k, that's potentially $16,000 lost that day just b/c people wanted a (potentially) antiquated and useless 2nd screen. These are obviously completely made-up numbers and there is probably a much bigger cumulative effect with everything they didn't put in, but you get the picture. Look at some of the articles about how fast he wants the line to move by the time they do Factory 1.0.
Right, and now you have to factor in all the lost sales due to a horrifically simplistic design. I'd say adding a few extra bucks to the cost of a car is more important than not selling a car at all. Polls around the globe right now reflect exactly my sentiments. Tesla is losing potential sales by the thousands as we speak.

Right, and now you have to factor in all the lost sales due to a horrifically simplistic design. I'd say adding a few extra bucks to the cost of a car is more important than not selling a car at all. Polls around the globe right now reflect exactly my sentiments. Tesla is losing potential sales by the thousands as we speak.
This is definitely something to think about. I'd imagine they are hoping that the word of mouth of how awesome autonomous mode is and the car in general is enough to overcome any negativity about the lack of a 2nd screen. Model S had to overcome some of the same general struggles (different issues than a screen) and was able to become a huge success for them. I think the same with happen with the 3, initial screen disappointment or not. Once people start taking their friends on rides around town in autonomous mode (Note to Tesla: better get cracking on this) the reaction will be the same as people who drove in S's on autopilot on the highway. Having taken a couple of roadtrips in one, it changed my view of roadtrips and travel, and I think full autonomy (in most situations, probably lvl4 for awhile) will continue to change that dynamic for people.