Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to saving energy in cold weather (no heater required)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Get a 12v heated blanket! :p
blanket.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Cozy-Pat...1543853558&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+heated+blanket

A fogged up windshield still requires the Model 3's heating system and fan (which draws significant power) to be turned on, unless you have something like VW e-Golf's brilliant in-glass heated front windshield. Then, a heated steering wheel (missing in the Model 3 but available in pretty well all comparably priced cars nowadays), together with heated seats (they do work good in the Model 3), all individually selectable, would be great..

Awesome!

You could power it from one of the ... wait a minute ...

From a 12V Cigarette Lighter adapter which is max 200 watts. Cabin heaters are 2000 watts.
The heat from a blanket would be more direct and insulated. That blanket takes only 48 watts.

So technically it could save battery. Shut heat off on right side and/or rear and use heated blanket.

Not that I'd ever do it it's an interesting idea.

Might be worth carrying one for an emergency and staying warm without excessive cabin heater running.

BTW I have a heated jacket that uses a rechargeable battery. I LOVE IT !!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My, my how things have changed. I recently bought a M3LR and never thought about heating or A/C since. Reason? I leased a 2014 Nissan Leaf, with the "improved" heat exchanger heater. The Leaf had an optimistic summer mileage range of 82, and a realistic North Carolina winter range closer to 50-55 miles in moderately cold weather. I almost NEVER used the heater in the cold weather. It was not worth taking the risk of being stranded. The electric seat heaters worked - kind of - but I was never warm. My friends loved calling me a "tree hugger", laughing at my blue hands and face as I exited my car suffering from hypothermia. Most of the winter back then I had no idea if I had fingers - they were always numb from the cold!

It got worse when I tried charging on the few ChargePoint stations back just a few years ago. The base Leaf had a very slow 3.3KW charger - charging took forever and you couldn't risk using the precious range for heat - you'd wind up pushing your car home.

Things got a bit better with my 2015 BMW i3, but not much. That heater had a glimmer of heat, but again it wasn't worth the risk of being stranded. I then swapped into a BMW i3Rex - with the onboard scooter engine that charged the battery. With that car I actually tried using the heater, but it again wasn't worth it. The i3 charger was stronger 7.2KW, but many ChargePoint stations weren't true 240v, but rather 208v stations. That also extended the charging time, and again there wasn't the choice of heating the car if you wanted to be sure you got home.

Keep in mind what a 50-60 miles winter driving range means - you have a 25-30 mile radius of "safe" driving range from where you started driving. And depending on the car and EVSE connection, you would need to spend 4-9 hours for a recharge. Compare that to any of the Tesla models - even the shortest range is close to 260 miles today (the base M3 isn't out yet, so I'll exclude it).

The M3 to me is a heat machine! I turn it up as high as I want and bask in the luxury of feeling my extremities! I don't care a bit if it costs me range - I can feel my hands again! I turn it up to 80 when the temperature approaches freezing - why? Because I can, and still make it home without drama. Another tip, turn your heater up as high as you want, drive 10 MPH slower and you'll actually save energy overall.

Don't worry about range any longer - the M3LR is within range of any supercharger stop if you begin with a full charge (on near to full charge) and travel on major interstates (at least along the coasts - hopefully soon for the middle of the US). I even treated myself to the 19" wheels - not feeling guilty for driving with less range and aerodynamic efficiency for the sake of keeping warm.

When you get to the supercharger, turn the heat up as high as you like when you charge - it's no longer a luxury or range penalty. To me that's the biggest benefit of the LR Tesla - not only do I not have range anxiety, I have HEAT! And my friends no longer enjoy taunting me in cold weather - in fact one of them even asked if he could drive my car. HEAT - that's why Tesla is the winner in the EV wars. That and the supercharger network.

Pre-heating, with the charge cable plugged in, is a good thing because the car's battery is warmed up too, which otherwise could spit out "Limited Regen Available" warnings upon starting the car. Without pre-heating, on a cold day it takes quite a while of driving to warm the cabin, as the battery must be warmed up first (from the stored energy in the tank) before the cabin is.

I just ordered the exact blanket the OP posted

Not for regular replacement of heat, but I think it's not a bad idea for an emergency kit while waiting for Tesla road side assistance to show up in the middle of no where when it's 0F out ;)