Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to transfer a Model reservation 3 to your friend.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Since it has been asked 1000 times now and will be asked 100,000 times in the future I found a full proof solution that doesn't involve concerns about tax credits, double tax liability or all the hassle involved with finding workarounds.

Marry your friend and you can now either do

1.) Dual title on same car.

2.) Ask Tesla to change the reservation to your new spouse.

--

Personally, I'd go CPO S if my budget was capped at 50k for a Tesla and I wanted the experience sooner but the above solution works.

Any method that circumvents your states tax laws would most likely be tax fraud. If you plan to commit tax fraud is probably best you not post your plans here. If you think it is wrong it probably is wrong. A prime example is titling the car in two names then removing one name at a later date.

What happens to the Model 3 if you and your friend later dissolve the sham marriage and you live in a community property state? Joint custody? Weekend visitation? Heaven forbid, forced to sell it and split the proceeds? Pre-nup may be a smart move.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing
What happens to the Model 3 if you and your friend later dissolve the sham marriage and you live in a community property state? Joint custody? Weekend visitation? Heaven forbid, forced to sell it and split the proceeds? Pre-nup may be a smart move.
The car drives itself to your house on weekends. Sometimes a Model S has to supervise the visits.

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3