Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solved a creaking sound from rear driver door side - Yay!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
The creaking sound (like a metal to metal) I could hear coming from driver side rear door area had got me quite wound up for a while (weeks). Below freeway speeds, I could hear the sound when going over slight imperfections on the road..couldn't really diagnose without sitting on the rear seats.

It turned out to be the metal finish around the windows was rubbing just enough on the white painted surface during movements to cause this sound. I could reproduce by simply moving that piece just a little, by hand. I could have applied some paint polish in there, but I had handy the trusted WD40 and used a drop to let it flow down that area (in the pic) - and gone was that annoying sound!! Yay!
In case this helps one other owner a more peaceful driving :). Cheers.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Very interesting. I have a similar sound but it's on the other side and feels like it's in the suspension area.

If it is a suspension sound, it may be wear on a suspension part. I had a sharp metallic squeak develop a month or so ago, which would occur when the car passed over something like a depressed manhole cover. Turned out to be a faulty tie rod end.

If it is a suspension sound, it may be wear on a suspension part. I had a sharp metallic squeak develop a month or so ago, which would occur when the car passed over something like a depressed manhole cover. Turned out to be a faulty tie rod end.

I want service to take a look/listen at it but I'm aprhensice because of the service centers always braking things in my experience.

@phaduman your post caught my attention since I have a persistent creaking sound coming from somewhere near the right rear passenger door when driving at any speed over road imperfections. I had high hopes your suggestion would be my solution too, so I went out to try moving/flexing that trim you mentioned, but no luck. I'm pretty sure mine is coming from inside the cabin, it sounds like plastic creaking or flexing. A passenger sitting in the back seemed to think it's coming from somewhere near the plastic panel through which the top of the right rear shoulder belt goes, but I'm not certain (anyone know how to remove that plastic panel?).

@phaduman your post caught my attention since I have a persistent creaking sound coming from somewhere near the right rear passenger door when driving at any speed over road imperfections. I had high hopes your suggestion would be my solution too, so I went out to try moving/flexing that trim you mentioned, but no luck. I'm pretty sure mine is coming from inside the cabin, it sounds like plastic creaking or flexing. A passenger sitting in the back seemed to think it's coming from somewhere near the plastic panel through which the top of the right rear shoulder belt goes, but I'm not certain (anyone know how to remove that plastic panel?).

Did you by any chance run any cable to the back of the car through the headliner/trim area? I ran my rear dashcam cable through that area and for a few days, I would hear the cable hitting some other parts and making some sound (was not a plastic sound though) but after some days, it settled down.

I didn't need to remove the plastic trim to run the cable to the back. Hopefully someone else has the answer for you. Good luck. BTW, moving that metal trim didn't solve, I needed to pour a tiny amount of WD40 in the joint area for the sound to go. But I could hear the sound prior to applying WD40, so at least I had confirmation of the source of the sound.

Oh my goodness, is it this sound?

Comes from the right side rear passenger area. I've had service diagnose this issue a million times and nothing has ever fixed this issue. It drives me up a wall! I'm definitely going to try this tomorrow morning and hopefully it disappears once and for all.

Comes from the right side rear passenger area. I've had service diagnose this issue a million times and nothing has ever fixed this issue. It drives me up a wall! I'm definitely going to try this tomorrow morning and hopefully it disappears once and for all.

Your sound is quite pronounced. Perhaps biased because of the video pointing to the rear window area, the sound is likely a glass+plastic sound. I would continue to sit in the back seat and start putting some cloth in areas at various points and try to isolate the exact location (if covering by cloth reduces sound level) and go from there. Indeed quite loud - would drive me insane too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Did you by any chance run any cable to the back of the car through the headliner/trim area? I ran my rear dashcam cable through that area and for a few days, I would hear the cable hitting some other parts and making some sound (was not a plastic sound though) but after some days, it settled down.

I didn't need to remove the plastic trim to run the cable to the back. Hopefully someone else has the answer for you. Good luck. BTW, moving that metal trim didn't solve, I needed to pour a tiny amount of WD40 in the joint area for the sound to go. But I could hear the sound prior to applying WD40, so at least I had confirmation of the source of the sound.
I do have a 2Ch dashcam so yes there's a wire in the headliner somewhere but I had it professionally installed and I forgot which side they used. From what I can tell the sound seems to be lower down than the right rear window, but I can't be sure from the driver's seat (I guess if the car was fully autonomous, I could sit in the back seat and listen :) ) Thanks anyhow for the suggestion.

I've tried flexing the various interior panels manually while parked, as well as the headliner areas (and the metallic trim outside you mentioned too), but can't reproduce the sound manually. I've also tried stuffing something between the cracks between the side of the seats and door/interior panels in case something is rubbing the seats, but no luck there. In my case the sound seems like twisting/creaking hard plastic, it's not a sound like a loose wire rattling inside something. The sound might be similar to what can be heard in DJung's video above, though mine seems to be lower frequency. I might end up having the local service centre take a listen... As my kids pointed out after I had then try to locate the source, you can't un-hear the sound once you know about it (nobody realized it was there until I pointed it out)

fully understand what you mean :). I would totally employ a driver and I sit on the back and try and isolate while car is being driven.
@phaduman guess what, I now think your original post may be my exact problem after all. I originally said I couldn't reproduce the sound by flexing the trim you pointed out but...

I recently took a road trip (Oregon eclipse!) and had some time to kill on the way down so my friend sat in the back seat while I drove and he pressed/listened to all the interior panels - nothing. But then he stuck his head out the open window and also pressed on various sections of the chrome trim and now we're pretty certain it's that part of the chrome above the fixed triangular window behind the rear door - same as you pointed out.

Upon closer inspection after we parked, that section of trim seems to have more give when pressed than the corresponding trim on then other side of the car, so I guess it's just loose enough to flex and rub a bit while driving. Doesn't seem to make much sound when I manually push it so I guess that's why I missed it.

Not sure if that trim is glued on or otherwise attached with fasteners of some sort, but thinking I may drop in it the Service Centre to have them reattach it properly

in case anyone else ever has this particular creaking-sound problem... an update:

it took 2 service center visits and a very long time waiting for parts, but my creaking sound is finally solved, and I confirm it was caused by the long chrome trim piece above the side windows, as pointed out originally by @phaduman

fyi the first time I went to the SC, even though I pointed out prior to making my appointment that the sound seems to be coming from the chrome trim above the side windows, they said there is a Service Bulleting regarding the creaking sound, and that according to that they had to first replace the small triangular glass window & seal behind the rear door opening. They did that but it didn't solve the creaking.

So then they finally ordered the chrome trim piece, it apparently is glued on and so the whole long piece has to be replaced once removed. It took more than 5wks to get the part (fyi the service invoice lists the part as "ASY-BRIGHT MOLDING, BODY SIDE RH"). Kind of annoyed they didn't order the part when I first reported the problem, causing the long wait. But anyhow once replaced, the creaking sound is finally gone.

@DJung any update your creaking sound? This thread got revived recently, thought you might have found an answer to your problem that might benefit others. Cheers!

@DJung any update your creaking sound? This thread got revived recently, thought you might have found an answer to your problem that might benefit others. Cheers!

Finally, Tesla has solved this issue!
Concern: Customer states that a rattle noise is present and sounds like it's coming from the
right rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is cold. Rattle can be heard even when vehicle is
not moving.

Pay Type: Goodwill
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
Technician verified customer's concern. Found ticking from right rear door skin and its
reinforcement when heating up and cooling down. Modified skin and reinforcement to
correct noise. Test with multiple heat cycles and found no further issues at this time.

Apparently it was temperature dependent, and when I dropped off my car it just so happened that I parked with the door facing the sun. While I was talking to the technician, the sound occurred even while I was stationary. Just got back from the service center but it looks the root cause was determined and it has been solved once and for all