Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved*: AP, TACC, Auto Wipers & Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022.36.5. 9/21 build Model Y LR, no FSD.

tl;dr In the most extreme dark heavy rain, without human visibility of lane lines or even the road surface, AP never gave up. Auto wipers are near perfect, auto hi/lo beams also really really good.

I've been extremely critical here over the past year of all the above, but I'm ready to say it's all ready for prime time, at least in my car. If I was in charge, I'd put it all on the list for production release candidates, if these results could be validated on all model/config variations.

So last night I drove from Portland to The Dalles on I84 in a serious deluge. From late dusk to full dark, with bad crosswinds, rain/mist blowing sideways at times, fully obscuring the road for up to 10-15 seconds at a time, hitting several bad standing water patches, getting dumped on from trucks coming the other way, AP never gave up or made any mistakes. Rain was often so hard at times fastest wipers could not keep up.

Honestly, I should have pulled over a couple times, it was so bad.

AP kept working well beyond any reasonable person's limit of safe driving conditions. To me, that's solved. Can't ask for anything beyond that.

Wipers need interventions exactly 2x over 2 hours, an extra wipe, way easier than any manual wipers I've ever owned.

Brights are not perfect, still a bit timid and flicker some both on the high and low ends, but almost never the wrong way. I did have to dip them twice in weird situations, but otherwise fine.

Today in bright daylight, AP drove through bad mirages cresting hills, the last place it still failed for me. I call that solved too.

*Caveats:

-This was one drive in one car, and not really foggy conditions.
-I'd like to see following distance basically doubled from the 7 setting.

Hats off Tesla, well done.

Untitled design.png

(Admin note: Image added by admin for thumbnail)

PB varies with weather conditions, at least, whatever conditions cause mirages (more info). Driving through Arizona to California a few weeks ago, I encountered several mirages per hour and gave up on TACC. The air was not hot; just warmer than the road.

It's a challenging case for the vision system to tell if the road even continues, let alone find the lane lines. Drivers handle this by knowing about mirages and watching the traffic ahead go through them.

I bet the car's radar would be a lot better than the cameras for these conditions.

View attachment 931129
Yes. Agreed. My wife and I were driving through Arizona and New Mexico and I noticed the mirages causing AP to brake. It seemed less of a problem on some of the newer concrete (white) parts of as opposed to asphalt(black). It seemed that cruise control was also affected. I reported this as a bug through the Model S's bug report function.

Yes. Agreed. My wife and I were driving through Arizona and New Mexico and I noticed the mirages causing AP to brake. It seemed less of a problem on some of the newer concrete (white) parts of as opposed to asphalt(black). It seemed that cruise control was also affected. I reported this as a bug through the Model S's bug report function.
Yes, it's a TACC problem, with or without AP. Lacking non-TA CC, I went to manual speed control.

Does "bug report" on Model S do anything more than add a marker to the log data?

Yes, it's a TACC problem, with or without AP. Lacking non-TA CC, I went to manual speed control.

Does "bug report" on Model S do anything more than add a marker to the log data?
From what I've read here, no, it just logs it unless and until you go in for service and ask them to diagnose something related to the bug? No first hand experience though.

Unless you're on FSD beta, I've heard there's a more active bug reporting tool there.