Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

It might be helpful to so what I did…

View attachment 1014471
Do you leave your seal pulled out over the b pillar? I noticed mine is tucked in but looks like it's not inside the small slot the bpillar has for the edge of the trim, I think this is causing my issue. I tried reseating the seal into the small slot it has, curious if you just pulled it over the b pillar? I'm going to order the U shape you suggested and see the wind noise from the corner of my window is crazy loud

What on earth is going on in that first photo? Is your window really adjusted to that crazy angle or is the door open? I can't even tell.
You are looking at my passenger side B pillar. The driver side was fixed by a mouthbreather ranger who walked into my garage dragging a sledgehammer on the concrete floor, rear door edge now sticking out. I wish I had known this fix before that retard caved my B pillar outward. After I am done with the M3 in 2030 I will likely get the next best non-Tesla, a NACS Macan maibe.

Anyone have a suggestion of a very thin D seal or B seal for the window my gap is like 0.1 inches down the side of the window. I also can’t seam to get 3M to stick to the rubber even with adhesive remover anyone have this issue?

Before adding extra seals around my windows, I decided to schedule another service appointment. This time, the estimate says they will be replacing the whole seal on the drivers side. Fingers crossed that works. The shape is much less uniform than the passenger side, which is significantly quieter. Circled where the noise is entering (I included this in my service request)
This morning my service center replaced the drivers side main body seal, adjusted the window and adjusted the door. Problem solved, thankfully. Car is much quieter now though I'll still be doing the first 3 things mentioned in this thread in order to make it even better.

Reactions: enemji and GOVA
You should give the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. They are built for the Lexus

MSPN: 06522

The MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S has the quietest tread design among leading competitors.[2]​

Enhanced ComfortControl with PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning combines frequency cancelling shoulder grooves and block chamfers with ultra smooth belts resulting in an exceptionally quiet ride.
I finally pulled the plug and went with these MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires on my 2022 M3LR

Ordered from Tire Rack and installed at my local Discount Tire. Smooth process.

First trip of about 20miles on the same roads I drive everyday at 70mph resulted in 71db
For comparison, the Michelin MXM4 that comes OE produced 76db on those roads, and the Hankook Kingrgy GT produced 74db.

Some things are just designed better from the start, especially when they are designed for the Lexus & Mercedes luxury cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss71
I finally pulled the plug and went with these MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires on my 2022 M3LR

Ordered from Tire Rack and installed at my local Discount Tire. Smooth process.

First trip of about 20miles on the same roads I drive everyday at 70mph resulted in 71db
For comparison, the Michelin MXM4 that comes OE produced 76db on those roads, and the Hankook Kingrgy GT produced 74db.

Some things are just designed better from the start, especially when they are designed for the Lexus & Mercedes luxury cars.
FYI - This tire is OE on the Lexus IS 300
IMG_8720.jpeg