Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

Did Tesla address the wind noise issue at some point? I don't notice *any* excess wind noise from anywhere in my 2023 M3. It's very quiet even on the interstate at 70+ mph.
I'm curious about this too. I do have wind noise, but I have a 2018 M3. I've seen some manufacturers who sell rubber lining that goes in the gaps between the roof glass, etc. Any input here is welcome.

Also, to the OP - have you also soundproofed the frunk, and if so, with what and has it helped?

Also, to the OP - have you also soundproofed the frunk, and if so, with what and has it helped?
862EA72E-3603-4891-8FCB-B84F065C9029.jpeg

I used 4mm PE Foam made by Siless. It has helped in attenuating high frequency harshness and much of the subwoofer boominess.

Each of the fixes is a step. It does not suddenly turn your sports car into a lumbering Caddy.

As with any such fixes, YMMV depending upon
1. Your expectations
2. Your tires

I'm curious about this too. I do have wind noise, but I have a 2018 M3. I've seen some manufacturers who sell rubber lining that goes in the gaps between the roof glass, etc. Any input here is welcome.

I had the roof glass gasket. Doesn't work. I thought that it helped a bit when I first installed it. But it came out a couple months later while on the highway and flew away and I didn't notice it, so I think any benefit was all in my head.

Would be cool if someone with the older M3's would go test drive a 2023 and see if they notice a significant reduction in road and/or wind noise. Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla made NVH changes to the vehicle without announcing them....seems common practice for them?
We had a 2018 LR AWD that we sold when we bought our 2023 M3P. In general the 2023 is quieter and more solidly put together. The one exception is that we're getting wind noise from the upper rear corners of both the driver's and passenger's door windows. We didn't get any wind noise from there on our 2018. Actually, we had relatively little wind noise with our 2018, unlike a lot of folks, but the 2023 is better except for the door windows. If we can get that resolved by Tesla, I'd be pretty happy with the overall noise levels.

For road noise, the 2023 is definitely better than the 2018. We had a set of 19" wheels with the Tesla Continental RX tires on the 2018 that we immediately put on the 2023 since it was snowing when we picked it up. Those wheels and tires were significantly quieter on the 2023. That said, quiet tires make a big difference on the Model 3. We also had a set of General Altimax 365AW tires on the stock 18" wheels on the 2018, and they were noticeably quieter than the 19" Contis on the 2023.

The Contis were just a temporary measure to get the car home since they were getting low on tread and they're not very good on snow and ice. They're much better on snow and ice than max performance summer tires like the ones that come stock on an M3P, but that's damning with faint praise. We've since put a set of Vredestein Hypertrac tires on the 19" rims. Compared to the Contis, they're much better in every respect. They have outstanding traction and response in dry and wet, and reasonably good traction in snow and ice. They're also a little quieter than the Contis, but still nothing like the General 365AW tires, but then the 365AWs don't handle anywhere near as well as the Hypertracs.

Would be cool if someone with the older M3's would go test drive a 2023 and see if they notice a significant reduction in road and/or wind noise. Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla made NVH changes to the vehicle without announcing them....seems common practice for them?
I have driven my buddy's 2021 MY a good amount and it is definitely noticeably quieter and more refined than my early 2019 M3