Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

Most of my remaining gusting wind noise is from around the mirror area. Already done the foam in fenders and frunk/sub trunk. Not much from the rear. Will doing the Z-seals fix this?
Road noise from my cheapo Radar Dimax As-8 tires isn't too bad surprisingly.

Reactions: enemji
For those of you that added OPs insulation fix, can you post your model years? Earlier Model 3's are known for loud road noise.
Mine's an early 2019 and the side bolster/wheel arch insulation did not do a lot. Might try wedging a piece of MLV in there? I don't know the side bolsters barely fit now with all the insulation stuffed in.

I've actually been thinking of laying a sheet of MLV across the back of both back seats (making it into a single-folder rather than a 60/40 and see if covering the crack does anything. I know MLV is supposed to be continuous coverage to be effective, but I just feel like all the noise from the rear suspension goes directly into the cabin.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this - I did this today and can definitely hear a difference. On freeway, got up to 80mph before the cabin noise told me to back off. good stuff.

The template in this post #99 Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise worked great! It's still a pita to get the backing off and get it stuck in the right place, but i managed somehow.

Broke a tab on the driver rear trim piece, luckily it still buttons up ok. That top most retaining pin, the square one, has to be one of the most over engineered tabs I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3 and enemji
I added the OPs insulation fix to my 2018 Model 3. It’s hard to tell, but I think it’s slightly quieter.

I’m thinking tires will make the biggest difference. Looking at the new Hankook ions once my tires wear out.
Agreed. Better shoes make the biggest difference.

For some reason, I feel the Hankook Kinergy GT are the best between MXM4, Ion EVO AS and the Kinergy GT as I have had all 3.

The Hankooks are my pick over the Micheline MXM4, surprisingly.

Michelin MXM4 - Sportiest, best road connection and feel, Noisy AF
Hankook Ion Evo AS - Great balance between good feel and comfort
Hankook Kinergy GT - Disconnected, not sporty but most comfortable

These are my opinions for the 18" wheels.

Thanks for posting this - I did this today and can definitely hear a difference. On freeway, got up to 80mph before the cabin noise told me to back off. good stuff.

The template in this post #99 Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise worked great! It's still a pita to get the backing off and get it stuck in the right place, but i managed somehow.

Broke a tab on the driver rear trim piece, luckily it still buttons up ok. That top most retaining pin, the square one, has to be one of the most over engineered tabs I've ever seen.
I can tell you with my car running Kinergy GT, the road noise feels the same from 50mph to 100mph. I had to back off when it caught my attention.

I will be testing the 18" Hankook Ion EVO AS high speed performance tomorrow.

Reactions: ss71 and tdiggity
Agreed. Better shoes make the biggest difference.

For some reason, I feel the Hankook Kinergy GT are the best between MXM4, Ion EVO AS and the Kinergy GT as I have had all 3.

The Hankooks are my pick over the Micheline MXM4, surprisingly.

Michelin MXM4 - Sportiest, best road connection and feel, Noisy AF
Hankook Ion Evo AS - Great balance between good feel and comfort
Hankook Kinergy GT - Disconnected, not sporty but most comfortable

These are my opinions for the 18" wheels.
I can add some other tire data points with my impressions on tires that I've had on my Model 3s. For reference sake, I consider a tire like the Michelin PS4S to have a very high level of sportiness and an MXM4 to be medium. Also, regarding snow and ice, I consider a Blizzak or Xice excellent, with everything else down from there. A PS4S is absolutely horrible on snow and ice. :p

Michelin MXM4 (stock Tesla tires 235/45-18) - Medium sportiness, medium noisiness, high efficiency, poor to very poor on snow and ice

Continental Procontact RX (stock Tesla tires 235/40-19) - Medium to high sportiness, medium noisiness, medium efficiency, poor on snow and ice

Pirelli Sottozero 3 (245/45-18 performance winter) - High sportiness, medium noisiness, medium to high efficiency, very good on snow and ice

Vredestein Hypertrac (245/45-19) - Very high sportiness, comparable to PS4S, medium noisiness, medium efficiency, okay to good on snow and ice

General 365AW (245/45-18) - Medium sportiness, very low noisiness (quietest tire I've ever had on any car), medium to high efficiency, good on snow and ice

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji and XPsionic
Same issue I have. Once you hit 40mph sounds like a window is opened a crack. Have an appointment with ford. Assume it’s something to do with driver door alignment.

I called and created a ticket with a corporate ford rep who said it is not normal. For me only one window does it , which means not normal. Also fact many other drivers have quiet rides.
Ford? Why would Ford Fix a Tesla?

I can tell you with my car running Kinergy GT, the road noise feels the same from 50mph to 100mph. I had to back off when it caught my attention.

I will be testing the 18" Hankook Ion EVO AS high speed performance tomorrow.
So this morning I did go out and test the Hankook EVO ion AS. Above 60mph to 85mph, smooth and muted hum. Around 66-68db (compared to 72-74db with MXM4) on the same roads. These are more connected than the Kinergy GT and on rougher roads definitely a but more noise than the Kinergy GT. Under 45mph in city, good feel and muted road noise around 63 db.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ss71