Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

View attachment 917275

Foam at the junction
View attachment 917276

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
View attachment 917277

View attachment 917284

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.
Glad you made a thread with the solution, hopefully people searching with the right keywords will come across this and find it useful! Much easier than digging through 10 pages of discussions.

I just want to add that the foam used in #1 is Siless liner 157 4mm thickness dense closed cell PE foam, 18 sq ft should be enough. And for #2 the material used is Kaowool ceramic fiber fire insulation 1"x16"x48", cut to required size.

Thank you very much for sharing! How you will describe achieved result? Could you share please brief description on how to install these insulations, I am interested to do it on my Model 3, road and wind noise are very annoying at higher speed.

Thank you very much for sharing! How you will describe achieved result? Could you share please brief description on how to install these insulations, I am interested to do it on my Model 3, road and wind noise are very annoying at higher speed.
The only reason I was happy to publish these results is that it is now as good as a Mercedes. Don't ask me for decibel meter readings for I really like to "voice" it by actual hearing, and I am so happy with the way the vehicle responds now. It truly feels like a Mercedes Luxury Sports Car. The subdued road noise, merely a smooth hum, the solid thumps over road joins, and the absolutely no wind noise at 80mph. I am no longer going to miss driving my Mercedes is all I can say.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, a decent mix of previously tried solutions with some new materials.

Can you take some more photos of the A pillar foam and the door z-strip or explain a bit more about how you went about installing? Hard to see from a single, one angle pic for each.

For the foam it looks like you have at least two and maybe as many as four interlocking pieces that fill the entire fender gap from bottom to top.

And for the door z-strip it appears you attached it along the A piller and not to the leading edge of the door.

Thanks for the info, a decent mix of previously tried solutions with some new materials.

Can you take some more photos of the A pillar foam and the door z-strip or explain a bit more about how you went about installing? Hard to see from a single, one angle pic for each.

For the foam it looks like you have at least two and maybe as many as four interlocking pieces that fill the entire fender gap from bottom to top.

And for the door z-strip it appears you attached it along the A piller and not to the leading edge of the door.
CE4CC17F-1C7B-4566-94D7-E543D4DAA97B.jpeg

50CF2322-1B12-4BE1-8CC7-4F9CCF41BABD.jpeg