TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Solved: wind noise

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by dutchchili, Dec 14, 2019.

1. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

FIXED IT!

Problem
    With speeds off 70 mph and more, I experience wind noise in the A-pillar. I perceive it as a non-constant crispy sound, which depends on the wind speed and direction. Very annoying.
    It occurs on both sides.

Root cause
    The A-pillar is open on the front end. Air can enter from the fender as well as the windscreen area. This causes vortices in the a-pillar / sound that resonates in the a-pillar.
    The A-pillar opening is partly closed a by a rubber flap. But this flap is not attached very well and may lose when opening the frunk.

Solution
    Close the A-pillar opening to prevent the vortices / resonance.
    In order to establish this without dismounting any parts, a sponge can be inserted from the windscreen side to close the A-pillar sufficiently the remove the noise. It appears that this solution not always eliminates the crispy sound, but the overall wind noise.

Do-it-yourself
    1) by a household sponge like these
    AH Schuurspons hard bestellen | ah.nl

2) use scissors to cut off a 1,5cm strip as shown below
    [​IMG]
    3) cut off the green part. You don't need that.

4) Push the rubber flap away from the a-pillar opening (as shown below)

5) push the sponge into the hole. Make sure to pinge the sponge with your thumb and index finger so that it will fit through the hole and can expand once inside.

6) the end results should look like this. The yellow stipes indicate the position of the sponge. It doesn't really matter if it sticks into the fender or the A-pillar. The effect is the same. Putting it perfectly into the A-pillar will keep the sponge more dry.
    [​IMG]
    6) put the rubber back in place.

7) enjoy silence :)

8) donate any remaining sponges to the housekeeper.

Disclaimer: a sponge may hold water, causing the a-pillar humidity to be higher than normal. This may cause rust if the a-pillar is not well protected against that.
    Thanks to the root cause of the wind noise, the sponge will dry quickly with every dry drive.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 2
    • Funny x 2
  2. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Trying this today! I've hunted down and fixed nearly all of my rattles, now it's the wind noise that's driving me crazy. Thanks for posting! Will post back with my results...

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post.
    Instead of a sponge I would use some quality high density foam like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R4BCHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes in a variety of thicknesses. I used it to solve a wind noise problem with my X, in a different location than what you did with your 3. That foam appears to be very durable and the adhesive works well.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I'll have to give this a try also - Thanks for the post !!!

5. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

too much expectation will kill the joy of anything.
    Drive ICE vehicle for 10 mts will solve the problem.

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

Ingenious, But you don't think that this may create rust problems by retaining moisture?

• Like x 4
  7. RB88

RB88 Member

Can you post a more zoomed out image for more context on where to put this?

• Like x 4
  8. not4antoher

not4antoher Member

CDAAF420-F075-4DCE-AB11-DAF69D82A3D6.jpeg CD4A2E37-88CC-44D9-8746-7EA33EEB8C41.jpeg I have applied SEM 39357 Flexible Urethane foam. It gives the factory finish look.
    3M has a similar one 08463 Flexible Foam.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Good find. But you might want to find a material that breaths/drains so it does not retain water. Like the green stuff you cut off still might stop the vortices but still drain.

A clear piece of PPF might work over the seam too.

Should let RPMTesla know and they can sell sponge slices for $29.99 a pair ;)

• Funny x 17
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. not4antoher

not4antoher Member

Those are automotive material that can be found in the inner panel of the vehicles.

11. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

in reply to all the replies:
    - i would like to here if this helps for you too.
    - i never experienced any wind noise issues until my fender and bumper where repainted (and remounted). The first it seemed the car because quieter. The second time the crispy vortex sound appeared. As far as i can see without dismounting anything, some panel gaps are now winder and some rubber pieces are not so good in place. But overall, with this fix, the sound level (not noise) of the wind seems lower. Even if you don't experience any issues, this might make your car quieter.
    - Flexible Urethane would be a better solution indeed. Might be difficult to get it in the right place without dismounting panels. And it might cause other issues to. A fully/perfectly closed a-pillar could resonate at difference frequencies. That would make me feel....f****.
    - Rust: not to concerned. I would like to know if the a-pillar is treated with anti-rust stuff. I don't have a camera to look inside... But without the fix, the area will become wet too. i only drys faster.

-zoomed out shot below, insert the sponge where the arrow is pointing to.:
    IMG_20191210_220511.jpg
    In the above image, you see the front left fender. The right panel is the a-pillar.

• Love x 1
  12. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

I put Neoprene tubing on mine a long while ago:

tub1.png

• Like x 12
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. destructure00

Just did mine using some picture corner protectors I found at Home Depot for $8. Same material used in pipe insulation. Will take a test drive soon and see what the result is. I did tape those gaps this morning and went for a drive and it took the "harshness" off the wind noise. Didn't eliminate but made it sound smoother and a bit quieter, so I consider that a win.

IMG_20191214_101348.jpg IMG_20191214_101407.jpg IMG_20191214_104040.jpg IMG_20191214_104047.jpg IMG_20191214_104106.jpg

14. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

That piece might be a bit too large, unless you managed to put the rubber piece back in place.
    As long as the a-piller is closed up you should the desired effect. Taping is not sufficient as it only closes the gap 'to the outside of the car', not from the fender to the a-pillar.
    I tried that first too, with the same result you experienced. Reduced noise, not no noise.

15. destructure00

It went back together ok as pictured. Had to compress it a bit to get the plastic piece with the pop rivet back in place, but it went ok.

Just went for a drive. Wind noise is reduced by probably 50-60%. Still there but much quieter now.

• Informative x 2
  16. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

That is a big reduction!
    There will always be wind noise on the windscreen. That is just normal.
    In my case it is now no different than a bmw (330e 2016 model).

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

@destructure00 : your foam might not expand very well. You could a material that expands more to increase the effect.
    Anyway, 60% is huge.

18. destructure00

You may be right, but I was trying to balance something that would expand more vs something that wouldn't absorb water. Maybe one of the spray foams would be ideal?

19. dutchchili

dutchchili Member

I'd be careful with that. May expand in any direction and possibly difficult to remove. A full closure of the a pillar might also introduce new resonance.
    As you proved: obstructing a lot of wind helps significantly.

I'll stick to my sponge and enjoy the silence.

• Like x 1
  20. destructure00

Very true. I'll probably just stick with this and enjoy the near silence lol. Thanks again for posting this, never would have thought to do this.

• Like x 1