Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

OKay folks, Here is a list of all my wind noise/buffeting modifications to reduce this issue:

1 - Filled the A pillar at the hood as OP suggested
2 - Filled under the fender to A pillar
3 - Filled door jam to A pillar with the 4" foam suggested by Arctic Sun
4 - Gapped the A pillar to "fender" with the small mm rubber tubing
5 - Adjusted the drivers window Back and outwards
6 - Sugru to the wide windshield channel - which looks awesome, doesn't reduce that much wind noise, and have some questions for you all here...

All in all, I honestly think whatever wind noise is left may be something we deal with and think that it may be due to the way the Trim along the upper windows (the one we all chrome delete) in the way it overhangs not only the window, but the rubber-is seal just inside it...

That said, the question I had about the windshield Sugru in the pic below is: I have noticed that when I use my windshield fluid, which I think can be extrapolated to rainy days, that the water expresses to the drivers window. The channel in between the fram and the windshield actually drains the windshield water so that it stays on the front...Now the question is, is this water channel something that I should discount and deal with for the aesthetics/slight reduction of wind noise (which may be entirely placebo)...

I am leaning towards pulling it off...

Hope everyone is doing well,

AP
jDntle4.jpg

All,

OKay folks, Here is a list of all my wind noise/buffeting modifications to reduce this issue:

1 - Filled the A pillar at the hood as OP suggested
2 - Filled under the fender to A pillar
3 - Filled door jam to A pillar with the 4" foam suggested by Arctic Sun
4 - Gapped the A pillar to "fender" with the small mm rubber tubing
5 - Adjusted the drivers window Back and outwards
6 - Sugru to the wide windshield channel - which looks awesome, doesn't reduce that much wind noise, and have some questions for you all here...

All in all, I honestly think whatever wind noise is left may be something we deal with and think that it may be due to the way the Trim along the upper windows (the one we all chrome delete) in the way it overhangs not only the window, but the rubber-is seal just inside it...

That said, the question I had about the windshield Sugru in the pic below is: I have noticed that when I use my windshield fluid, which I think can be extrapolated to rainy days, that the water expresses to the drivers window. The channel in between the fram and the windshield actually drains the windshield water so that it stays on the front...Now the question is, is this water channel something that I should discount and deal with for the aesthetics/slight reduction of wind noise (which may be entirely placebo)...

I am leaning towards pulling it off...

Hope everyone is doing well,

AP
jDntle4.jpg

You forgot about the solution which worked the very best for me:
Turn off Auto-fold sidemirrors and place the same rubber tubing in the gaps ON THE BOTTOM of the sidemirror.

Aside from temporary and ugly tape in the gaps - no, probably not.

You're killing me man! LOL. That was just a 20min experiment trying to diagnose potentials for wind turbulence...or are you being facetious and encouraging me to start a trend? :)

too much expectation will kill the joy of anything.
Drive ICE vehicle for 10 mts will solve the problem.

Maybe from your perspective...I loved my RS3 and miss it still - would welcome the opportunity to drive it for 10mins again. That said, I'd rather error on the side of too much expectation than having too little expectations; that's just apathy. The psychological fuel to improve a condition is based on setting high expectations...So what may be debilitating for some (or you), is an enjoyable challenge for others. Don't project man!

AP