Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An alternative method that I think takes care of multiple issues at once, and not just the top gap

In higher end cars, you'll notice this entire fender area is closed off, but on our relatively "cheap" M3, it is wide open, and frankly, ugly.
If you tap around the fender you'll also notice its pretty hollow and tinny sounding, which would then translate itself to the cabin via air or structurally.

Bought a roll of 4" adhesive backed foam:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRN1FGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut it to shape and made sure it filled every gap. and hole. Plus, it's black, so it hides all your cutting crimes.
View attachment 554627 View attachment 554628 View attachment 554629 View attachment 554630

Warning: this will only elevate OTHER wind noise, road noise, and interior buzz/squeak/rattles.

Thank you for this suggestion it does make a difference and it just looks better now.

Managed to jam 6mm into the gaps. Very easy on passenger side but difficult on drivers side.

D7D91BDB-AA5A-4E86-AF0A-934FF9C3AEDB.jpeg B05151C6-FCA2-4962-8873-50C0D3A4B7A0.jpeg

Reactions: XLR82XS
Just the same tubing as used for sunroof.. I squeezed it in really tight. Try again.. :)
I tried to do this again and it was stretched so thin that it cracked at the spot I tried to spudger it in, haha! That said, I actually got some 2mm solid rubber tubing from McMasters? and it fit in well. May try to get the 3mm since the 4mm round was too big. My mirror space must be very small comparatively...

Anyway, surprisingly, it worked very well! I still get some top of the windshield air noise, but it is noticeably tolerant at 70mph and measuring with my decibel app, average cabin is about 66dB. 80+mph, gets a little louder, but overall pleased...

Anyone find a fix for the road noise now aside from suspension and wheel changes? Going in on MPPs soon and looking to 18" >19" wheels from my stock 20"...

Hope everyone is well and thank you all for the different inputs on this wind issue!

AP

Reactions: r0bbb
I tried to do this again and it was stretched so thin that it cracked at the spot I tried to spudger it in, haha! That said, I actually got some 2mm solid rubber tubing from McMasters? and it fit in well. May try to get the 3mm since the 4mm round was too big. My mirror space must be very small comparatively...

Anyway, surprisingly, it worked very well! I still get some top of the windshield air noise, but it is noticeably tolerant at 70mph and measuring with my decibel app, average cabin is about 66dB. 80+mph, gets a little louder, but overall pleased...

Anyone find a fix for the road noise now aside from suspension and wheel changes? Going in on MPPs soon and looking to 18" >19" wheels from my stock 20"...

Hope everyone is well and thank you all for the different inputs on this wind issue!

AP

That's where I'm at as well. If anything the road noise seems louder now.

AP

Told you so ;)

Regarding roadnoise, I have these installled since last week and they are amazing, wayy less roadnoise!

US $89.9 |LUCKEASY shock absorption and Noise reduction for Tesla Model 3 2017 2019 Car Front wheel noise reduction cotton 2pcs/set|Mudguards| - AliExpress

Told you so ;)

Regarding roadnoise, I have these installled since last week and they are amazing, wayy less roadnoise!

US $89.9 |LUCKEASY shock absorption and Noise reduction for Tesla Model 3 2017 2019 Car Front wheel noise reduction cotton 2pcs/set|Mudguards| - AliExpress

I may just get these. Sounds like a great idea to have. Placebo or actual results? I am curious in your experience.

I assumed I'd need dynamat to get rid of tire & road noise.

Nope, wont help. Most of the noise is actually NVH via the chassis and suspension, steering rack. Once you eliminate the rest... thats what 'shines through'.

I've installed Noico all over my wheel wells and some what on my wheel arch liners along with neoprene foam at my mechanics shop (was rushed a bit to finish) to help control vibration mainly and noise. I even put some on the front fenders and it works well! Installed new General Altimax RT43 tires. Over 500+ miles so far. I've noticed a bit of difference. It is a bit quieter possibly 1 db or less at times. I keep using my decibel reader on all roads. Consistently, it is relatively quieter and not as loud over rough terrain and potholes unlike the MXM4 tires because my tires are softer. The MXM4 were the worst on rough terrain and potholes. I actually took out the acoustic foam of OEM and plan on installing them when I get the tires rotated in the General's to see if it can help control the "dodgeball bounce twing" hollow noise these tires produce that he MXM4 tires did not do.

Reactions: Perscitus
added the foam like how arcticSun suggested and had a noticeable reduction in noise.

also added a strip of foam right inside the original weather stripping as shown in the pic. This further reduced the noise. Also quite noticeable.
Not sure if it’s similar to those door seal, but looks like this works and I’m probably not getting the door seals.

thanks to the people in here. My 2020 model gets even quieter now. The next noise are from mirror. I do want to keep the auto fold feature. Brainstorming now.

Attachments

• 3EE68780-AC0F-4A53-A87A-5CE3A88627E5.jpeg
    3EE68780-AC0F-4A53-A87A-5CE3A88627E5.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 525
So I did a crazy discovery this week..

My neighbour damaged my Model 3 front right door which had to be repaired this week. Coming back from repair, my girlfriend noticed that windnoise being complete gone on her side. As I first thought that "repair guy that an amazing job adjusting the window correctly", I noticed that my aftermarket rubbers for front doors were removed and left in the trunk.

Wow. So I removed my aftermarket rubbers from my left front door and guess what.. windnoise is completely gone even at 150kmh! That same rubbers which I bought to get the noise out, were causing extra windnoise all the time!

Probably these rubbers are causing the door not able to close perfectly at the millimeter, at least in my case. Still mindbuzzing on this!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
added the foam like how arcticSun suggested and had a noticeable reduction in noise.

also added a strip of foam right inside the original weather stripping as shown in the pic. This further reduced the noise. Also quite noticeable.
Not sure if it’s similar to those door seal, but looks like this works and I’m probably not getting the door seals.

thanks to the people in here. My 2020 model gets even quieter now. The next noise are from mirror. I do want to keep the auto fold feature. Brainstorming now.

I can't tell where that is.