Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. 2019 model 3, tried all the above, adjusted window angle, checked door seal, applied gummipfledge, had Tesla replace the seal - none of it made a jot of difference. The level of wind noise also seems to vary by the day. I suspect it's the cars build -body flexing depending on outside conditions etc. Given up now, car goes back soon at the lease expiry. I must admit though, it's put me off getting another one as above 70 mph (private road of course) it's quite intrusive and gets annoying. £60k+ car should not do this.
If the noise varies by the day, I would think that seals are the issue. You moved the window tighter and move the door tighter? Did you try to test where exactly the noise is coming from?

If the noise varies by the day, I would think that seals are the issue. You moved the window tighter and move the door tighter? Did you try to test where exactly the noise is coming from?
It's coming from the top of the drivers window. I've tried putting paper between the window and the seal and it's a really tight fit, although the seal itself is not totally unirorm in shape in that area. I've put black rubber tubing in all the areas suggested on here, blocking possible areas of doubt, put the noise seal all around the glass roof area and also installed secondary door, frunk and boot seals. The lease expires on 8th December so I'm not bothered now. Looking at other EV's.

Reactions: Georgesb2
It's coming from the top of the drivers window. I've tried putting paper between the window and the seal and it's a really tight fit, although the seal itself is not totally unirorm in shape in that area. I've put black rubber tubing in all the areas suggested on here, blocking possible areas of doubt, put the noise seal all around the glass roof area and also installed secondary door, frunk and boot seals. The lease expires on 8th December so I'm not bothered now. Looking at other EV's.
Yup, that's where my wind noise came from, top of the driver's window. Also sometimes the passenger side window at the top, same place, same issue.

On topic of old vs new, I drove my friend's brand new Performance Model Y 2022 and the difference between it and my Long Range Model 3 2020 is massive.
Like going from Hyundai to Porsche
And I bet the 4680 structural battery pack Model Y is even better ... I suppose only exoskeleton design such as of the Cybertruck could be superior to that ... I sure would love a CyberS3XY variants ..

Point is: unless if your car happen to have something really unusual that have happen to it during manufacturing ... odds are whatever you do (within reasonable budget / labor cost) will probably not move the needle by much

So with that out of the way, does anyone know if we can just call Tesla's Part Department and ... buy two front doors? would that 'just work' plug and play or is that incompatible for some reason? also, do we know if the new double panned windshield fits older cars that came with single sheet windshield? Asking out of curiosity but in reality it makes more sense to trade in your car and buy a new one then to go down this path.... but if you could come by a door on a totaled Tesla ...
I vaguely recall when the double-paned front windows came out that someone measured them or tried them and the conclusion was they can be retro-fitted. I remember at the time thinking if I go to Safelite, could I get them to order them, as if I broke my side windows? But then people tested the sound levels and couldn't discern any difference, so I decided not to try to order the windows.

I vaguely recall when the double-paned front windows came out that someone measured them or tried them and the conclusion was they can be retro-fitted. I remember at the time thinking if I go to Safelite, could I get them to order them, as if I broke my side windows? But then people tested the sound levels and couldn't discern any difference, so I decided not to try to order the windows.
From what I know about Tesla they rarely if ever allow for retrofit to be done by Tesla.
And they install costumer supplied parts.
Nor will they sell parts that don't match the VIN.
So anyone here reading this thread with a car that didn't come with double panned glass that wants to buy the glass from Tesla, you would first need to find someone that already have a car with that glass and have them call Tesla Parts and order it.
Once you obtain the part, you will need to either install it yourself or find a willing 3rd party to install it with.

Imo this is money left on table, I'd love to get retrofit to whatever new stuff Tesla comes up with whenever possible, so heatpump/octovalve/4680 structural pack/rear mega cast I probably can't get but refreshed center console, refreshed door trim, refreshed 2023 rear tail lights ... yeah sign me up. And don't tell me its not cost effective, their tech is already trained on installing most if not all of it, yes they should prioritize / triage people with actual problems over elective appointments but ... they can also just charge more, queue is flexible? add in more elective, queue is fully booked? sorry break fix only, also, they can tell you if you want to install X you can do so at location Y which maybe 100 miles away as that's where its less busy at the time... but what do I know

Wind noise, rattles, nvh are not a function of build date or model year/month. Its a streak of luck whether a particular unit has or develops issues.

Frameless windows combined with modern weather stripping/gaskets will eventually not seal well so its just a matter of time.

Frameless windows are the absolute worst. Guarantee in 5-10 years these forums will be filled with people complaining about water intrusion and even more pronounced wind noise.

Reactions: Perscitus
My story is boring. I had wind noise emanating from the left passenger window. I mentioned it on two service visits but nothing. I finally got tired of it and was having a road trip coming up. So I scheduled a service visit JUST for the wind noise. They found it and fixed it for about $80 but wanted a separate visit to replace the gasket for like $350+. My problem was fixed and I just canceled the second visit.

Most of this problem was convincing Tesla to do it.

My story is boring. I had wind noise emanating from the left passenger window. I mentioned it on two service visits but nothing. I finally got tired of it and was having a road trip coming up. So I scheduled a service visit JUST for the wind noise. They found it and fixed it for about $80 but wanted a separate visit to replace the gasket for like $350+. My problem was fixed and I just canceled the second visit.

Most of this problem was convincing Tesla to do it.
What did tesla do to fix it?

What's interesting, I've made a number of adjustments. The wind noise in the driver and passenger's windows decreased a lot. But then for some reasons can come back. I see a correlation. If I leave the windows vented, which I often do, it comes back. That indicates to me that there's something with the rubber compound. Unless someone has other ideas....

When y’all are setting in your cars, AC OFF, windows shut and you try to close your already closed windows one by one, do they all make same sound? My front passenger window moves a little more than the rest but then goes back down when releasing the button.
It’s water tight even during pressure wash but in highway if I hold the button up … there’s ever so slightly less wind noise

At this point, after three years of ownership, and especially after driving a new model y with double panned glass which is unbelievably quieter, I have completely thrown the towel on making it any better as the summery of this entire thread is:
Those mods you can do / buy as kits either do nothing or hardly nothing at all, and even gutting the entire car and covering the metal with sound deadening hardly moves the needle
Missing something?

When y’all are setting in your cars, AC OFF, windows shut and you try to close your already closed windows one by one, do they all make same sound? My front passenger window moves a little more than the rest but then goes back down when releasing the button.
It’s water tight even during pressure wash but in highway if I hold the button up … there’s ever so slightly less wind noise

At this point, after three years of ownership, and especially after driving a new model y with double panned glass which is unbelievably quieter, I have completely thrown the towel on making it any better as the summery of this entire thread is:
Those mods you can do / buy as kits either do nothing or hardly nothing at all, and even gutting the entire car and covering the metal with sound deadening hardly moves the needle
Missing something?
No. I've done the secondary seals, roof seal, new window seal, Tesla adjusted the window angle. None of it made a tiny bit of difference.

Reactions: Atraf
It’s just the vehicle design. Go drive a new Hyundai Sonata and be amazed.

High frequency EV drivetrain noise just exacerbates the annoyance of wind and road noise.

Could I request a model 3 owner record the sound of their vehicle interior while parked, HVAC off? Record the screen, under the steering wheel, etc. anywhere that system noises might intrude into the cabin. I wonder if this is contributing at all.