Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the sponge today (in addition to the rubber seal) and it didn’t make much difference. Followed the OP’s instructions exactly, but still have that loud crispy wind noise coming from the A-pillar at highway speeds. It may have decreased very slightly, but not much if at all. May try some masking tape temporarily over the entire area to see if that gets rid of it and to narrow down where it’s entering from.
It took me two attempts to get it right on both sides. The first attempt solved just one side. When reviewing the solution i found that the left sponge was not exactly in right position, thereby not sealing the a-pillar sufficiently.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
It took me two attempts to get it right on both sides. The first attempt solved just one side. When reviewing the solution i found that the left sponge was not exactly in right position, thereby not sealing the a-pillar sufficiently.
Good to know. I'll double check mine. Can you take a picture with the door open and looking up to the A-pillar from the bottom so I can verify correct placement? I didn't see a picture of that anywhere in this thread. Should I also add the second sponge that you mentioned in post 33? May try that too as I've only inserted the sponge from the top so far

Here you go:
In this image you see the second sponge to ensure no wind can come from the fender/door gap to the a-pillar.
If you look from this angle without the sponge, you can see the a-pillar opening. (might bump with your head against the door...)

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_075751.jpg
    IMG_20191217_075751.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 997
Reactions: house9
Is this what you’re talking about plugging? There’s a gap above and below the door hinge. on my driver’s side, there’s already some spongey stuff in there. On the passenger, there isn’t.

I just stuffed some weatherstripping in there.

Attachments

• 4ABCB60D-7661-4F5C-9540-4DA272F142A2.jpeg
    4ABCB60D-7661-4F5C-9540-4DA272F142A2.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 941AFD4D-30E3-4D68-8F5A-84B43C53E470.jpeg
    941AFD4D-30E3-4D68-8F5A-84B43C53E470.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,005
Here you go:
In this image you see the second sponge to ensure no wind can come from the fender/door gap to the a-pillar.
If you look from this angle without the sponge, you can see the a-pillar opening. (might bump with your head against the door...)
Just applied the sponge to that gap there, I’ll test tomorrow at highway speeds and report back. Hope this does it!

Reactions: TydalForce
Just had a look into the a-pillars with an inspection camera. They’re sealed up with a black piece with what seams to be a part number together with a brown/reddish foam like material. Can’t imagine that the void of about 5cm that leads up to this piece causes wind noise. Unfortunately my camera doesn’t have a recording mode so I could share the images.

Reactions: dutchchili
Tested the method using the rubber seal, first sponge underneath the seal, and the second piece of sponge in the gap below. Preliminary findings are that the wind noise seems to be muffled a little more at speeds <60mph, but it's still present and loud at >70mph. It does seem to be a little more inconsistent than it was before (which is a good thing), but that harsh, crispy, wind noise is still there. I did notice that the 2nd sponge doesn't cover the entire opening, so I may try to put a larger piece in there to seal most of the gap and see if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 921
Tested the method using the rubber seal, first sponge underneath the seal, and the second piece of sponge in the gap below. Preliminary findings are that the wind noise seems to be muffled a little more at speeds <60mph, but it's still present and loud at >70mph. It does seem to be a little more inconsistent than it was before (which is a good thing), but that harsh, crispy, wind noise is still there. I did notice that the 2nd sponge doesn't cover the entire opening, so I may try to put a larger piece in there to seal most of the gap and see if that makes a difference.
Make sure it is snug at all sides and the crsipy sound is gone.

Just added another sponge in there to seal the openings, but unfortunately the sound is still there. Didn't seem to affect it at all. To me, it almost sounds like the wind noise is coming from the front corner/edge of the window. Almost as if the window isn't sealed properly.
Perhaps you have a different or additional root cause.
The opening behind the rubber flap near the wind screen can easily be the cause if not sealed properly. The rubber flap will not stay in place. If you put in the sponge to deep, there might be an opening there too.

Perhaps you have a different or additional root cause.
The opening behind the rubber flap near the wind screen can easily be the cause if not sealed properly. The rubber flap will not stay in place. If you put in the sponge to deep, there might be an opening there too.

On other cars I have owned, the little cracks between the leading edges of the side view mirror housings base and their pedestals can create a whistling effect. Easy to check by putting on some masking tape.

Inkedmirror_LI.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
On other cars I have owned, the little cracks between the leading edges of the side view mirror housings base and their pedestals can create a whistling effect. Easy to check by putting on some masking tape.

View attachment 510599
I have booked mine into Tesla, they have said they can hear the noise and are keeping it in until they rectify it. I am hesitant to mess around with a new car:

1. Because I shouldn't have to.
2. Might cause issues with warranties.
3. They are actually pretty helpful and forthcoming about issues,

I have booked mine into Tesla, they have said they can hear the noise and are keeping it in until they rectify it. I am hesitant to mess around with a new car:

1. Because I shouldn't have to.
2. Might cause issues with warranties.
3. They are actually pretty helpful and forthcoming about issues,
I just scheduled an appointment for the same issue. Wasn't able to resolve it with these fixes, so I'll let them figure it out. It's VERY noticeable to anyone who drives it, so hopefully they don't give any push back. Let us know what they find

I finally drove at around 80 today. (No traffic today) and yes the wind noise is the minority of the noise. All seems to be coming from the a pilar.

I’m thinking about putting material from old memory foam mattress in that gap. Maybe it’ll fit better as it’ll conform to the shape?