Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've inserted the 6mm tubing linked above and am trying to decide if any change I'm noticing is just a placebo effect.

I am interested in what material and adhesive people used for the area below the tubing in the A-pillar inside the fender? Maybe this will make the improvement more noticeable

I found when I used the tubing a few days later they compressed and fell down rendering the solution not functional.

anyone else have this happen. Ideas on how to get them to stay in place better ?
96956EE8-DD53-426D-9530-8A811CBCF64E.jpeg

Reactions: polyphonic54
Yup - the trick is a. slightly thicker tubing and
b. wedging it at the top of each end against the painted metal edge (especially on the windshield side)
That will keep it in place.

Alternatively. get thicker tubing, cram it in there, then use a second piece to line the gap.

Don 't use hollow tubing, but something like epdm piping. I used piping, a bit harder to squeeze in since it is less flexible, but it stays put. Top tip: make the tubing warm before you squeeze it in, it's more flexibele that way.

I used 4mm. Bit of work, but it looks ok.

Attachments

• epdm-round-rubber-pipe-250x250.jpg
    epdm-round-rubber-pipe-250x250.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 807
Yup - the trick is a. slightly thicker tubing and
b. wedging it at the top of each end against the painted metal edge (especially on the windshield side)
That will keep it in place.

Alternatively. get thicker tubing, cram it in there, then use a second piece to line the gap.

thanks. I used 6mm tubing and really couldn’t get it into the side closer tot he door. After enough stretching and a lot of effort I got it in. It’s almost like with my gaps I want wider tubing up front then getting skinner closer to the door.

I tried the hard rubber 6mm tube and they also eventually fell out for me. What worked, actually, was to cut a piece of the roof noise dampening tubes that were too thin for my roof gap. They ended up fitting perfectly in the A frame and is much more malleable/easier to install. So far they’ve stayed put.

DEF Tesla Model 3 Windshield & Roof Wind Guard Noise Lowering Dampening Reduction Kit, 100% Silica Gel, Sun-Resistant and Durable, Quiet Seal Strip Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHL17BC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2hznEbCTQ82HR

D3A52F25-A6BC-4956-8092-CDAB1F696231.jpeg14E66DB9-F4A2-4BBC-8414-373235387848.jpeg

I tried the hard rubber 6mm tube and they also eventually fell out for me. What worked, actually, was to cut a piece of the roof noise dampening tubes that were too thin for my roof gap. They ended up fitting perfectly in the A frame and is much more malleable/easier to install. So far they’ve stayed put.

DEF Tesla Model 3 Windshield & Roof Wind Guard Noise Lowering Dampening Reduction Kit, 100% Silica Gel, Sun-Resistant and Durable, Quiet Seal Strip Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHL17BC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2hznEbCTQ82HR

View attachment 506649View attachment 506652

thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a try !!

did you find a noise reduction after installing it?

View attachment 506649View attachment 506652

thanks for the tip! This fits in and holds much better than the 6mm and 4mm tubing I had tried before. On Monday I’ll give it a try on the highway to hear what the noise reduction is.

This would be the best stuff to make a perfect form fitting seal that can still be removed:

Sugru Moldable Glue - Original Formula - All-Purpose Adhesive, Advanced Silicone Technology - Holds up to 2 kg - Black, White & Grey 8-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XFLBXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oTZpEbJ1EDWW3

I have used it personally, and it’s incredible stuff. Check expiration date though because expired product causes the bad reviews.

You would roll it into a string of the right thickness, push it into to the crack, then smooth it out like play doh to make it fit nice and flush. Since it’s silicon, it would adhere while it dries and you’d never have to worry about it falling off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a try !!

did you find a noise reduction after installing it?
I’ve been having this issue too so I bought this same seal and installed it today. It fits perfectly between the gap to deal it, but unfortunately I still have that crispy loud wind noise from the A-pillar at highway speeds. It may be coming from the area closest to the windshield as that’s not fully sealed with this rubber. Also, the rubber tubing is hollow so I’m wondering if the wind is entering from that front area and actually traveling through the tubing. Not sure what else to do now, but willing to try anything.

I’ve been having this issue too so I bought this same seal and installed it today. It fits perfectly between the gap to deal it, but unfortunately I still have that crispy loud wind noise from the A-pillar at highway speeds. It may be coming from the area closest to the windshield as that’s not fully sealed with this rubber. Also, the rubber tubing is hollow so I’m wondering if the wind is entering from that front area and actually traveling through the tubing. Not sure what else to do now, but willing to try anything.
better follow the original instructions with the sponge.
I even turn on music with wind sounds occasionally to stay in touch with the real world ;)

• Funny
Reactions: proxy and RBowen

Put masking tape over areas until you find the cause.

I haven’t tried it on the highway yet. I’ll try tomorrow and then post back if it makes a different. I agree with the OP. Worth trying the sponge. If it solves the problem and you are uncomfortable with the moisture you at least know you’ve found the source of the noise ?

I haven’t tried it on the highway yet. I’ll try tomorrow and then post back if it makes a different. I agree with the OP. Worth trying the sponge. If it solves the problem and you are uncomfortable with the moisture you at least know you’ve found the source of the noise ?

Masking tape is a lot easier than a sponge to confirm the source of wind noise.

Last edited:

Tried the sponge today (in addition to the rubber seal) and it didn’t make much difference. Followed the OP’s instructions exactly, but still have that loud crispy wind noise coming from the A-pillar at highway speeds. It may have decreased very slightly, but not much if at all. May try some masking tape temporarily over the entire area to see if that gets rid of it and to narrow down where it’s entering from.

Tried the sponge today (in addition to the rubber seal) and it didn’t make much difference. Followed the OP’s instructions exactly, but still have that loud crispy wind noise coming from the A-pillar at highway speeds. It may have decreased very slightly, but not much if at all. May try some masking tape temporarily over the entire area to see if that gets rid of it and to narrow down where it’s entering from.

too bad. :(. I’m hoping when I test today I get better results. I’ll let you know. Keep us posted on your progress.