Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting thread. When I get to it I'm going to try 3d printing a strip of TPU (flexible filament) to insert into the gap. Just need to figure out the profile that would best pressure-fit into place. This is what I have so far. Think this would stay in place?
windblocker.JPG

Reactions: MrHopsing
Given the build quality, he'll need to get measurements to custom make them for each car.
Very interesting thread. When I get to it I'm going to try 3d printing a strip of TPU (flexible filament) to insert into the gap. Just need to figure out the profile that would best pressure-fit into place. This is what I have so far. Think this would stay in place?View attachment 531963
Possible. I like my rubber tubing as it expanded into place during installation and compensates for differences in the gap vs. a rigid material. After some time, car washes and miles of triple digit speeds the tubing is still in place.

Given the build quality, he'll need to get measurements to custom make them for each car.
You are exactly right TLLMRRJ. As I mentioned above the end closer to the front of the car has a wider gap than the back. Unsurprisingly, the passenger side is exactly opposite where the end closer to the front of the car has a narrower gap than the back. So for me, it's not even a matter of making a mirror-image for each side - had to draw up different ones. In order for this to fit snug, they have to be quite precise to each car. 0.1mm makes a difference in fit.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Possible. I like my rubber tubing as it expanded into place during installation and compensates for differences in the gap vs. a rigid material. After some time, car washes and miles of triple digit speeds the tubing is still in place.
Tubing sounds like a great solution. Didn't have that handy but did have a printer along with flexible TPU filament. My model was actually straight but due to high flexibilty (i.e, not rigid) it was easy to bend. The strip is 135mm long and it can be folded into a circle and will spring back.The material is the same as those clear soft phone covers.

Reactions: james912

For whatever reason, the rubber tubing actually causes the noise to get worse for me. I'm wondering if the air is flowing through the tube and causing it exit closer to the edge of the window? I may try plugging the tubing with sugru to see if that does anything

So I ended up narrowing down my issue. Not sure if anyone else’s rubber seal at the front of the driver’s side window looks the same as mine (not flush against the window), but this is where the majority of the harsh/crispy wind noise is coming from. When I push on the rubber seal (to compress it to the window), the noise is significantly reduced. It’s almost completely silent. Now I’m trying to figure out how to permanently fix this. May consider adding a bit of sugru to the vertical edge of it to create a better seal. Or I may just take it to the SC to see if they can replace it. Has anyone else checked this piece?

View attachment 520439View attachment 520440
I ordered Sugru to do what you did but while I was waiting for it to come in, I used the heat gunt to heat it up and held it down/bent it inward by pinching it toward the outer piece with window down. It is not perfectly straight but it def helped with the wind noise that was coming from it. I will wait and see if it gets worse before I apply sugru.

I went to the SC today and they confirmed it is the rubber outer seal (see post 164) by the black triangle that is the cause of the wind noise. They installed a brand new piece but unfortunately the new piece has the same defect. LOL
I finally got the chance to test this out on some empty highways this afternoon and whenever I hit about 55+ I hear the wind noise from the front. I put the car in AP and held the black rubber flush to the window and it eliminated wind noise coming from there. Confirmed it with some painters tape to hold it down. Now I have to decide if I should go at it with a hair dryer or take it to the Tesla SC lottery.

While this eliminated the wind noise I was hearing from the front, I am still hearing a bit from the top back of the front windows near the B pillar. I hade a tech adjust the windows a little backwards toward the B pillar which seemed to create a better seal (going off the sound it makes when it closes) but that didn’t resolve it.

I did some investigating to see what irregularities might be happening with the door seal and couldn’t really see much. But when I pull the door seal away at the corner where it bends, I noticed there is a hollow portion inside of the seal. I tried filling those open holes to see if that would help but didn’t notice any improvement.

So I feel like I now know the source of the A pillar wind noise but cannot figure out source of the wind noise coming from the B pillar area.

Brainstorm here. I was looking around the B-pillar area at the door seals and noticed a small gap in the rubber underneath the chrome trim the runs above the windows. At speed maybe air is getting into that crevice and causing turbulence inside that area? Is air penetrating a gap between the rear door glass and seals?