Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried everything on these pages and I give up. Wind noise is still coming in from the upper A-pillar and the upper part of the window.

='(
Is your s due to window poor alignment? My service tech told me some times it's windows alignment, but most of the time it's from the mirror cover gaps. He told me to tape up the mirror and see if that helps.

I haven't worked on my flapping noise inside A pillar yet. My tech gave me some foam and showed me where I can shove it.

Tesla aren't doing drive along with customers during COVID so they aren't going to take care of it yet.

Is your s due to window poor alignment? My service tech told me some times it's windows alignment, but most of the time it's from the mirror cover gaps. He told me to tape up the mirror and see if that helps.

I haven't worked on my flapping noise inside A pillar yet. My tech gave me some foam and showed me where I can shove it.

Tesla aren't doing drive along with customers during COVID so they aren't going to take care of it yet.
What sort of foam did he give you and where did he say to put it?

What sort of foam did he give you and where did he say to put it?
The same kind of random soft foam you get in electronics packaging. Just a piece of dark grey foam. He said instead of approaching from the driver's wheel well exterior trim, he suggested to open the console caps and open the a pillar directly and shove some foam under that a pillar. I haven't done it so I have no idea what it looks like.

What are the console caps? Are you talking about removing the A-pillar headliner trim inside the vehicle?
Yes. The console caps are the triangle plastic on the left and right of the main dashboard console. These are interior trims I'm talking about. Again I haven't done this so don't go down the rabbit hole. It's easy to pop off and take a look yourself btw. Shove some foam up in A pillar below the airbags is my thinking.

How do you get them to do that? Can it be done by mobile service?
Ya can be done by mobile or you. My mobile techs are not doing ride along so they are not fixing rattles/noises. But I also heard Tesla has a 10k mile one year thing for rattles/wind noise.

Edit. I decided to do a service request anyways. Last time they pulled some BS on me with my trunk alignment. Saying it was out of their good will window and charged me $75 per panel ... Such bs

Last edited:
@PNWLeccy Do you have any video of your wind noise situation?

I just fixed my wind flappy A pillar noise. I posted it
Wind Noise at A-pillar FLAPPING Sound - Solved for now
I can try to get some video but it's difficult as it's coming from the passenger side. It sounds a little bit different from yours, more of a buffeting noise than a flapping noise(?) but it could be the same cause.

I saw someone else who did the same thing as you but I just haven't pulled back the wheel well liner to do it myself yet. I had assumed the triangle rubber seal that fixed the wind noise for me on the drivers side was the same root cause as the noise on the passenger side. The replacement they put in is also deformed so I don't have a good idea if what is effecting the passenger side is different than the drivers side yet for me.

I was disappointed in my noise reduction yesterday, when I was noticing a noise from my driver side window. (I don't spend much time on highway or Interstate.) Then on a whim, I pressed the window up button and it went away. Then all I heard was tire noise.

Thanks to all who helped me with my wind noise.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and KenC
I just installed the neoprene tube (6mm on the driver side, 4mm on the passenger side). I doubt there will be an improvement but it's worth a shot. The noise I'm hearing is probably the gap on the window.

Attachments

• 20200814_213232.jpg
    20200814_213232.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 20200814_213157.jpg
    20200814_213157.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: beachmiles