Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An inch of thin black foam behind each tire between the wheel well cover and the fender has solved this wind noise.
Never would have suspected the noise came from wind getting in from there. I fed a thin strip of scouring sponge (gray, since that’s what I have on hand) into the small channel behind and near the top of the round opening in the wheel well liner and wedged a little flap in to cover the round hole like the foam in the pictures but wider although that piece does not look like it would last the winter. Wind noise from “near the bottom of the windscreen towards the sides when over ~50 mph” is significantly quieter now. Thanks!

1070D11A-A45F-45AE-BBCE-FD38AAFEDB2D.jpeg

Never would have suspected the noise came from wind getting in from there. I fed a thin strip of scouring sponge (gray, since that’s what I have on hand) into the small channel behind and near the top of the round opening in the wheel well liner and wedged a little flap in to cover the round hole like the foam in the pictures but wider although that piece does not look like it would last the winter. Wind noise from “near the bottom of the windscreen towards the sides when over ~50 mph” is significantly quieter now. Thanks!

View attachment 592823
So cover the hole? I have to try this again.

I personally dont think sound deadening foam makes any difference. The source of noise in Model 3 are the windows, that is very clear. And the only fix would be to have double glass on the sides which afaik Tesla is actually going to use in their next Model 3 update which should help a little bit.
There is no way that you can have a car where the entire side and top and front is made of glass and not have noise. you are basically driving a convertible. The laminated top and rear glass helps but its not as good as a proper roof.

Reactions: Perscitus
Im hearing wind noise usually only when the wipers are "on" and in their resting state where they sit out from the hood a portion. Has anyone had that issue or heard a noise like this? iCloud Tesla has abandoned me here... :(
My X 2018 had wind noise above 65 which make very difficult to to have phone conversation using the car speaker, in short cannot use the phone on the highway

My unbearable wind noise that feels like there is a window left open in the car starts after 190km/h (118m/h).
I will buy those tubings and give it a shot.

Can anyone share the size of the sponge that they put in on the inside of the fender from below?
I found this:

But i need to know the proper size :/

Last edited:
We have had 2 2018 M3s. The first one was quiet, the second one was very noisy. I took it in to Tesla - the first time they did the standard window reset adjustment with the special window click keypress routine. It didn't change a thing. I brought it in a second time to complain, this time they charged me since it was beyond the noise/vibration window of fixing things for free. The wind noise went away. I asked them what they did and the rep at the front desk said the notes just said that they made some type of adjustment, but didn't specify what it was. It might be worth trying to get Tesla to look at it first (for those of you that haven't already) before getting too crazy with the sponges/tape, etc.

We have had 2 2018 M3s. The first one was quiet, the second one was very noisy. I took it in to Tesla - the first time they did the standard window reset adjustment with the special window click keypress routine. It didn't change a thing. I brought it in a second time to complain, this time they charged me since it was beyond the noise/vibration window of fixing things for free. The wind noise went away. I asked them what they did and the rep at the front desk said the notes just said that they made some type of adjustment, but didn't specify what it was. It might be worth trying to get Tesla to look at it first (for those of you that haven't already) before getting too crazy with the sponges/tape, etc.

The windows are frameless, which means the adjustment of the windows pressing against the rubber seals is critical. The adjustments for the glass can tilt the glass forward and backward, move the glass forward and backward, and tilt the glass inward and outward. A lot of adjustment possible in 3 dimensions.

You have to take the door panel off to access the adjustments, and the job is easy, but takes a lot of fiddling and trial and error to get it right.

You can bet many of the cars leave the factory with the windows out of adjustment and that's why some people have quieter cars than others. If the windows are not sealing, it will let in a lot of noise from the outside, as if you left the door open, and create a wind whistling noise at higher speeds.

If the windows are not pressed well against the seals, the windows may seal and be quiet at slower speeds, but loud at faster speeds when the high speed airflow is pulling the windows out from the car.

And you can bet that the SC's don't want to spend all the time necessary to get it right, so a lot of people don't get happiness from a visit there when it comes to this issue.

My right rear window was way out of alignment from the factory, and I just fixed it myself. There are DIY's on YouTube on how to do it, especially the ones that show how to replace the glass after a break in.

The windows are frameless, which means the adjustment of the windows pressing against the rubber seals is critical. The adjustments for the glass can tilt the glass forward and backward, move the glass forward and backward, and tilt the glass inward and outward. A lot of adjustment possible in 3 dimensions.

You have to take the door panel off to access the adjustments, and the job is easy, but takes a lot of fiddling and trial and error to get it right.

You can bet many of the cars leave the factory with the windows out of adjustment and that's why some people have quieter cars than others. If the windows are not sealing, it will let in a lot of noise from the outside, as if you left the door open, and create a wind whistling noise at higher speeds.

If the windows are not pressed well against the seals, the windows may seal and be quiet at slower speeds, but loud at faster speeds when the high speed airflow is pulling the windows out from the car.

And you can bet that the SC's don't want to spend all the time necessary to get it right, so a lot of people don't get happiness from a visit there when it comes to this issue.

My right rear window was way out of alignment from the factory, and I just fixed it myself. There are DIY's on YouTube on how to do it, especially the ones that show how to replace the glass after a break in.

That's good to know. I noticed most of the noise from the drivers side, but that could be from me not being the passenger often. Tesla charged $210 for it. Even though I think they should have corrected it as a goodwill item, I'm glad to have had it corrected.