Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solving a problem: Locking public J-1772 to your Model S during charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> WA state is getting close to enacting a provision that will levy a $140 fine if a vehicle is in a designated EV charging spot without being electrically connected. Doesn't say charging must be active, but connected. [Puyallup Bill]

Contact Committee Chair re Ticket Agent should note presence of *locked to car* J1772 adapter strongly implying a perp unplugged EVSE from your car in your absence. Mitigating evidence such as this should waive issuance of ticket.

@Babylonfive: 'adapter' rather than 'converter', no?
--

I would definitely be interested as I intend to do some trips with my S that will need stations other than the TM superchargers, which do lock. Any downsides? Any idea as to when available? Cost?

In order of quickness, it's Superchargers, HPWC and HPC, 70 amp J1772 and Chademo, RV parks 50A, 30 amp J1772, 30 amp welding, or 30 amp dryer.

HPWC and HPC are mostly in private homes although there are a few businesses that have them available. Charges are typically free. You need an adapter for the HPC.

70 amp J1772 are few and far between in most areas, except Canada.

Chademo doesn't have an adapter, so they are out for the time being.

RV parks vary in price and there are a few who don't allow EVs because they are scared they will do "something" to their circuits.

30 amp J1772 are usually either public and free or commercial and pay. They are pretty slow and most useful for overnight charging.

The welding and dryer receptacles are usually not convenient and require adaptors that you purchase separately. They are best used at a particular known location (some relative or business that you will be going to)

Here's the website showing the device: power12.retailrapp.com

Feel free to respond with questions or suggestions to me here by private message, by email or to the contact shown on the website.

dws.jpg

Website looks nice, but needs more information or at least a description. Price seems reasonable considering the low volume, although a lower price would likely generate far more sales (yet likely still too few for a mold).

In order of quickness, it's Superchargers, HPWC and HPC, 70 amp J1772 and Chademo, RV parks 50A, 30 amp J1772, 30 amp welding, or 30 amp dryer.

HPWC and HPC are mostly in private homes although there are a few businesses that have them available. Charges are typically free. You need an adapter for the HPC... <snip> The welding and dryer receptacles are usually not convenient and require adaptors that you purchase separately. They are best used at a particular known location (some relative or business that you will be going to)

Jerry,
Great list! Thank you.

> When the J1772 nozzle release button is pressed, charging stops - no current flow, no zap. [Puyallup Bill]

Sure, switch connected to button turns off pilot before catch is released, makes sense. The 2 pilot pins are about 1/4 inch recessed compared to the big pins, which is all I knew. With the redundancy it is virtually impossible to zap a j1772. Nice to know!

So, armed with this new knowledge, I key lock car, hermetically seal key in mayonnaise jar which is then placed on Funk & Wagnall's porch, and djank j1772 'nozzle' from my charging Model_S. Adapter remains locked to car. I cannot remove plug without pushing button which releases it from adapter. Conclusion: adapter cannot be stolen from my Model_S, at this time, in this position, etc. The scientific method at work. :biggrin:
--

nothing is safe. I returned to my car the other day with the J1772 nozzle in a leaf and not my Model S. It took me 5 panicked minutes looking for my expensive and necessary J1772 adapter. I found it in the notch for the wiper.
I too tested the "Locking" and found that while charging the adapter was properly locked but, when charging was complete the adapter was unlocked.

nothing is safe. I returned to my car the other day with the J1772 nozzle in a leaf and not my Model S. It took me 5 panicked minutes looking for my expensive and necessary J1772 adapter. I found it in the notch for the wiper.
I too tested the "Locking" and found that while charging the adapter was properly locked but, when charging was complete the adapter was unlocked.
I thought we had resolved that the J1772 adapter was locked to the car until the car was unlocked. This report would indicate otherwise. Unless you didn't lock the door when you left.

It seems another use case needs to be checked. Does the J1772 adapter stay locked when charging is complete?

Looks like further testing is required. I had reported that earlier, but then the next time I checked, the adapter stayed firmly attached to the car. What I didn't note was whether my car was fully charged or not...

I thought we had resolved that the J1772 adapter was locked to the car until the car was unlocked. This report would indicate otherwise. Unless you didn't lock the door when you left. It seems another use case needs to be checked. Does the J1772 adapter stay locked when charging is complete?

The behavior may also vary with regards to the EVSE manufacturer. I have an AV EVSE. The locking behavior has changed slightly for me following my upgrade to v1.25.35 . Following the completion of a standard charge on previous version 1.19.42 all I had to do was press the hook release button on the handle, and the charge port would unlock. Now I have to press the hook release as well as pull the J1772 out of the adpater. At that point the charge port unlocks. (Key fob is 100' away, in the house.)

For my purposes, this works great since I don't charge at public J1772 chargers. When I go out to the garage I can get the adapter out of the charge port simply by pulling the J1772. Don't have to unlock the car, crawl over the seat and press the "Open charge Port" button on the screen. I simply take out the adapter, close the hatch and only have to get in the car once.

The locking ring gizmo should keep the adapter safe since you can't pull out the J1772.

I think the courteous thing to do is figure out a way to attach a small card on a string to the J1772 that says "If my car has completed it's charge and you would like to use this charger, please call me on my cell (xxx xxx-xxxx) and I will come out and release the cord for your use. Thank you for your understanding."

B5, I think you may have lost some people with the price. It's likely a very fair price that makes little to no profit (I'm not aware of how much 3D printing costs). But not sure if people expected it to be that much. I didn't.

Great feedback Jomo. I was basing the price on very low quantity sourcing, which is very expensive. Still reviewing a better method, but I actually didn't expect more than 5-10% of all Tesla S owners to even be interested, much less to purchase it.

If I thought the sales would be much higher at lower price (say $29), there are definitely methods to reduce cost at those quantities -- to do so anyway is a risk (albeit a standard one for a small startup) that I'm not sure I'll take.

Completely understand. I will be heavily dependent on J1772 station and the adaptor. So much so that i bought and received an extra J1772 adapter from Tesla.

I'm definitely interested. I'm in a private, but shared (among residents) garage using my own J1772 station, so I don't think theft or harassment unplugging will be an issue. But do see myself charging in the wild enough to warrant one. If I had my car and could see the set up, I'd have a better idea if I would buy one. My personal station will be a GE wattstation and not sure of it will work with this also, but again, its public charging I'd use this for.

Once you have one, I'd suggest you record a video of the ring in action at Chargepoint and/or Blink station to show how it works. Would be a little-to-no cost way to drum up more interest. Just a friendly suggestion!

Website looks nice, but needs more information or at least a description. Price seems reasonable considering the low volume, although a lower price would likely generate far more sales (yet likely still too few for a mold).

I agree with these points. I think a video showing how it works would be very cool...I can't quite figure out how/why it works.

Man, I feel as if I've failed in describing what it is and why it works!

I'll work on a video and post it here and on the website.

FWIW, I did update the instructions on the product page of the website.

David
I should have updated my post. I did, eventually, find that instructions page, but it wasn't obvious where it was, and it does make it much more clear how it works. Ingeniously simple I might add. Still a video of a real use would be nice.