Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, my SC said the last two weeks, everything has been coming with Ryzen.

I wasn't sure if it was true. I am going to probably buy my MYP tonight, I am still going over my finances (I know I can afford one, I just want to trim unnecessary expenses, and run the numbers against my budget). Given how prepared I am to purchase; I don't want to wait for the 4680 battery, or additional color options.

If I can get the Ryzen chip + updated headlights + interior cabin radar + infrared camera....I think I have everything I think I would need

A MYP order right now would get February delivery - so mid-quarter; I hear you don't want to buy a car that will be manufactured during an end of quarter push.

So....Ryzen confirmed?
I've sort of decided the same thing. I absolutely WANT the battery pack, 4680, and next nav computer, but I'm not going to wait. So I've decided I'm going to take delivery of whatever comes in the next month or so, drive it for a year or whatever, and whenever the fully realized Gen 2 Y sell this and buy that. Since my purchase price is only $53K and used car prices are so high I'll probably get to drive it for a year for close to nothing, and then buy the 'perfect' car with FSD and everything else. PPF it up and drive it for 15 years.

• Funny
Reactions: ishareit
As a new Tesla customer, it is annoying that they (dealers/service centers) can't get this straight. I'm not sure how to go address the issue. If they had model years, maybe they could more easily identify what is in a 2021 vs 2022.
All model years would do is slow everything down. If they're able to put in biotech in June would you want them to wait until December just to align with a model year. If 'model year' production would start in late November or something would you want them to sit on the Ryzen chip for 10 months?

Here's the thing, NOBODY is getting 'less' than they happily ordered, and some people, really most people, get lucky in one way or another and get more than they ordered. I'm good with that, and someone essentially complaining that they can't be sure whether they're getting MORE than they ordered seems like a backwards way of looking at it.

Personally I don't see a real 'problem' that requires addressing at all since nobody is getting 'less' than they ordered, and I certainly wouldn't want to slow everybody down to introduce rigid model years.

I've sort of decided the same thing. I absolutely WANT the battery pack, 4680, and next nav computer, but I'm not going to wait. So I've decided I'm going to take delivery of whatever comes in the next month or so, drive it for a year or whatever, and whenever the fully realized Gen 2 Y sell this and buy that. Since my purchase price is only $53K and used car prices are so high I'll probably get to drive it for a year for close to nothing, and then buy the 'perfect' car with FSD and everything else. PPF it up and drive it for 15 years.
FYI... I predict the exact opposite is going to happen and want to make sure I warn others. Think about it, why is a Tesla Model Y currently worth so much money used? Because of two reasons: 1) ALL used cars have jumped in value.. most used cars are now worth about 30% more than they were just a year or two ago. 2) Tesla has a year-long waiting list.. demand greatly exceeds supply.

Unless COVID shutdowns & mandates or the chip/component supply is expected to last forever.. then it means as soon as things get back to whatever normal is.. so will the prices of used cars. That includes every Tesla and the Model Y. Another thing to watch out for is the backlog of Model Y owners. Let's say right now Telsa has a backlog of 1Million orders and is quoting that it will take a year to build & deliver a freshly ordered Model Y. Guess what.. Tesla just delivered the most vehicles ever (at a production rate of 1.2M per year).. and they did that with only two factories open. What do you think is going to happen when Austin & Berlin are both open, at full production, and delivering even higher record numbers of cars? Tesla will probably be able to deliver upwards of 2M vehicles in 2022.. and as much as 5M in 2023.

Do you really think the price of a used Model Y is going to stay high over the next year or two? My guess is once that backlog is completely filled and people are able to order a brand new Model Y and have it delivered in less than two weeks.. or even better go to a Tesla showroom and immediately purchase a brand new Model Y sitting in inventory.. then the prices of used Model Y's will fall like a rock. They will go right back down to whatever normal depreciation rates are a typical mass-produced sedan or SUV. And that means about 20% depreciation the first year, 15% the second year, and 10% each year thereafter.

Granted you getting into a new Model Y at $53K is a great price now. But I would expect a year from now for that car to only be worth $45K. And most importantly, the price of a brand new Model Y will drop back down to about $49K. Because that's exactly what the price of a brand new Model Y was in March 2021 when demand was considered "normal", inventory was abundant and the wait for a new custom-ordered Model Y was only 2-3 weeks. The price of Teslas went up because demand was greater than supply. Expect the prices to come right down to normal once supply is equal or greater than demand.

Also dont be surprised to see the standard range Model Y come back on the menu in 2023. Will probably be RWD only, powered with LFP batteries, have about 250 miles of range, 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and starting price of $45K. Possibly even less. If Tesla sold a MYSR for $39,990 before.. the chances of them selling a base version RWD Model Y again in the low to mid $40's is going to be highly likely. Hell.. Tesla still sells the MYSR in China:

Last edited:
Hi Fellows,
See below, and yes, there are reports of MYP equipped with AMD Ryzen.
It's really hard to keep track of the MCU -> VIN relation across different threads. I haven't seen anyone create a Google form yet to collect/aggregate data, so it'd be great if those taking delivery could fill out this quick form: 2022 Tesla Updates Tracker

Results can be viewed here: 2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)

Feel free to share this around or make edits to the spreadsheet - it's globally editable.
If you have any questions or corrections, please message me.
Thanks

Didn’t know about that, thanks for the info. Not sure if that can be fixed with software? I believe the possibility of having the headlight follow the curves of the road might outweight the dark spot problem (for me)
They're bright but they didn't seem to be incredible. The dark spots is annoying and kind of dangerous. The HIDs on my other car seems just as bright and wide. Maybe I'm not valuing the matrix as much but the dark spot issue which is a design limitation is more annoying and sticks out. I've had to adjust myself to not focus on it over time. I shouldn't have to do that but... thus I said like it's not something I would pine for.

FYI... I predict the exact opposite is going to happen and want to make sure I warn others. Think about it, why is a Tesla Model Y currently worth so much money used? Because of two reasons: 1) ALL used cars have jumped in value.. most used cars are now worth about 30% more than they were just a year or two ago. 2) Tesla has a year-long waiting list.. demand greatly exceeds supply.

Unless COVID shutdowns & mandates or the chip/component supply is expected to last forever.. then it means as soon as things get back to whatever normal is.. so will the prices of used cars. That includes every Tesla and the Model Y. Another thing to watch out for is the backlog of Model Y owners. Let's say right now Telsa has a backlog of 1Million orders and is quoting that it will take a year to build & deliver a freshly ordered Model Y. Guess what.. Tesla just delivered the most vehicles ever (at a production rate of 1.2M per year).. and they did that with only two factories open. What do you think is going to happen when Austin & Berlin are both open, at full production, and delivering even higher record numbers of cars? Tesla will probably be able to deliver upwards of 2M vehicles in 2022.. and as much as 5M in 2023.

Do you really think the price of a used Model Y is going to stay high over the next year or two? My guess is once that backlog is completely filled and people are able to order a brand new Model Y and have it delivered in less than two weeks.. or even better go to a Tesla showroom and immediately purchase a brand new Model Y sitting in inventory.. then the prices of used Model Y's will fall like a rock. They will go right back down to whatever normal depreciation rates are a typical mass-produced sedan or SUV. And that means about 20% depreciation the first year, 15% the second year, and 10% each year thereafter.

Granted you getting into a new Model Y at $53K is a great price now. But I would expect a year from now for that car to only be worth $45K. And most importantly, the price of a brand new Model Y will drop back down to about $49K. Because that's exactly what the price of a brand new Model Y was in March 2021 when demand was considered "normal", inventory was abundant and the wait for a new custom-ordered Model Y was only 2-3 weeks. The price of Teslas went up because demand was greater than supply. Expect the prices to come right down to normal once supply is equal or greater than demand.

Also dont be surprised to see the standard range Model Y come back on the menu in 2023. Will probably be RWD only, powered with LFP batteries, have about 250 miles of range, 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and starting price of $45K. Possibly even less. If Tesla sold a MYSR for $39,990 before.. the chances of them selling a base version RWD Model Y again in the low to mid $40's is going to be highly likely. Hell.. Tesla still sells the MYSR in China:

You are forgetting inflation. Some goods when they go up in price, they stay up there. The prices may not increase further if inflation comes down but they will certainly not decrease. Also, if you're Tesla and are selling ok with $60k pricing, why would you ramp up production to the point that you end up with production exceeding demand and reducing your price tag?

Another possiblity is that with 4680 battery, the range increases and then the vehicle price tag will be justified. I am not saying you are wrong but I am saying there are other possibilities. No one knows. Only time will tell.

I personally think most of the price increase was in anticipation of revived EV tx credits. Now that they are not going to happen, they may reduce it but definitely not back to sub $50k range. My guess is may be $2-3k less than what it is now.

Didn’t know about that, thanks for the info. Not sure if that can be fixed with software? I believe the possibility of having the headlight follow the curves of the road might outweight the dark spot problem (for me)
Unfortunately the current matrix headlights do not follow the curves of the road. I think they're fine though. The dark spots I see are by design. They were rated as good headlights versus acceptable for the non matrix LEDs by the IIHS.