Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest question here guys. my EDD is Jan 21-feb 18th. never owned a tesla before, have been inside one but did not use the interface myself. If I took delivery of the car and refrained from checking to see if its AMD or Atom, how much would my life be impacted?

If you haven't received a VIN yet, I think it's extremely likely you're getting one with the AMD chip. With the AMD chip, the interface will likely be snappier. I heard that the browser is borderline unusable on the Atom chips.

That said, I think the thing that's more important to me is the Li-Ion 12V battery. I have heard stories about needing to replace the Lead-Acid battery every 3 years or so, which is really frequent compared to how often you need to replace the battery in ICE vehicles. Plus, not having to worry about being stranded if your 12V battery dies is something I really prefer to have.

Reactions: MikeHawk
If you haven't received a VIN yet, I think it's extremely likely you're getting one with the AMD chip. With the AMD chip, the interface will likely be snappier. I heard that the browser is borderline unusable on the Atom chips.

That said, I think the thing that's more important to me is the Li-Ion 12V battery. I have heard stories about needing to replace the Lead-Acid battery every 3 years or so, which is really frequent compared to how often you need to replace the battery in ICE vehicles. Plus, not having to worry about being stranded if your 12V battery dies is something I really prefer to have.
Couldn’t you just switch to lithium ion later though? That’s what I’ve done with all my motorcycles

Short answer is no, L-ION requires different housing and cabling so not likely to be a retrofit option down the road.
And if you wanted to use the Tesla version, at a minimum, you would need a different windshield washer pump and a power converter in the trailer wiring. (Because the battery is 15v and not 12v, so if you hookup to a trailer with a 12v battery you would overcharge it.)

• Helpful
Reactions: 907XCP
Honest question here guys. my EDD is Jan 21-feb 18th. never owned a tesla before, have been inside one but did not use the interface myself. If I took delivery of the car and refrained from checking to see if its AMD or Atom, how much would my life be impacted?
Unless you've used the AMD version, Tesla UX (even with Intel) is superior and snappier than any current vehicle on the road IMO. The only time you might have to wait a few seconds extra is if you launch a web browser or a streaming service (not very common thing to do in the grand scheme of things) so little to no impact on daily driving/functionality.

If you get Intel, the answer is "None".
If you get AMD, the answer is "Huge".

Just checked out my local tesla as they started getting 3570xx. Can confirm they have AMD. Don’t have the build date since the vin tag only have month and year.

Attachments

• IMG_5756.jpg
    IMG_5756.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 82
LOL...that's true. But the next big improvement is always just around the corner. When cars start shipping with the 4680 batteries, that'll be what people want.
I feel like the 4680 batteries will be a bigger upgrade for Tesla than for users. If they keep making Model Ys in Fremont, I don't think they'll deliver 2 different sets of cars with vastly different characteristics (range/performance/etc.) for an extended period of time. Until they upgrade everything to the new batteries, they'll probably keep all cars about the same.

One interesting wrinkle with mine, is that the SA tells me that while it shows Intel, it also shows the 12 volt lithium battery. That’s great, but I had the impression the new processor and new battery were paired. So maybe that’s not always true … or the system is not correctly showing the AMD processor. Long shot, but one can hope.

Unless you've used the AMD version, Tesla UX (even with Intel) is superior and snappier than any current vehicle on the road IMO. The only time you might have to wait a few seconds extra is if you launch a web browser or a streaming service (not very common thing to do in the grand scheme of things) so little to no impact on daily driving/functionality.
While I'd love the AMD Ryzen chip for faster infotainment stuff, I wonder if the new MCU (I guess it is called MCU3) will have other big improvements we don't know about yet.

Was the memory improved/increased? There are other systems in the MCU besides the main processor such as the video processing for Sentry mode and I think the Auto Pilot and FSD processors are there too. Is the current Sentry video 720p (my Model Y is still on order)? If so, might they upgrade to 1080p? A lot of the audio electronics are in the MCU too.

I read somewhere that any FSD hardware will be upgraded for "free" if you purchase full FSD (maybe that's why FSD is so expensive?) so perhaps those with MCU2 who purchase FSD may get a free upgrade to MCU3 if needed in the future for better performance?