Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered back in April when it was around 51k. So I'll break even with sales tax. But I ended up calling SA and refusing delivery. They said I should expect a new VIN assignment in the future weeks or month. Hopefully AMD will be around then.
Spot on. I ordered 4/26 and picked up last week / intel. Loving my car, I hope I am one of the last and that we get a retrofit option; if not, no biggie there will be ton of resale value to come.

2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)
Looks like VINs with 356000 or newer are getting the AMD Ryzen processors. Rumor is, any build date after Jan 6 2022 is getting the AMD and new LI-on battery, possible rear double-paned glass.
Vin Number 358xxx I'm guessing that is considered newer? Not sure if vin numbers go up in order or they are batch numbers and come in random orders.

Spot on. I ordered 4/26 and picked up last week / intel. Loving my car, I hope I am one of the last and that we get a retrofit option; if not, no biggie there will be ton of resale value to come.
Nice! I ordered a few days before you on 4/22. Looking forward to taking delivery hopefully sometime in March. I'll be happy either ways but would certainly be thrilled to get the Ryzen if it works out.

• Love
Reactions: Kenfucius
finally picked up my car VIN 355 today! Has the new AMD chip!View attachment 755465
Do you know what your build date is. I have a 355 as well and I think they said my build date was 1/5. But the guy seemed a little confused. And I find it odd that I got my vin on the 11th for a car built on the 5th. I’d imagine it would happen quicker than that. I’m hoping I have the AMD. Picking up on Monday.

Reactions: jayyp
Do you know what your build date is. I have a 355 as well and I think they said my build date was 1/5. But the guy seemed a little confused. And I find it odd that I got my vin on the 11th for a car built on the 5th. I’d imagine it would happen quicker than that. I’m hoping I have the AMD. Picking up on Monday.
Could be a “pass” for that VIN. Is it a MYP or MYLR? The 355 MYPs were built on 1/4-1/5 and seem to have Intels. The 355 MYLR seem to be built 1/6 and later and seem to have AMDs.

The 355s have been an odd bunch.

Reactions: Hvnleigh
Models Y and 3 are going through updates/upgrades.
Please don't assume that your vehicle will have a particular hardware configuration based on a VIN or a date of production.
Production date is not based on VIN to discourage tracking the number of vehicles built per QTR.
Vehicles built on the same day could have different hardware configurations.

The only way to be certain is to inspect the car first-hand yourself.

Finally, there are no reports/evidence that Model Ys come with Dual-Glazed (Laminated) Rear windows at this time.

Last edited:
[...] Production date is not based on VIN to discourage tracking the number of vehicles built per QTR. [...]
What does this mean? From what I can see VINs may be somewhat out of order if we look day by day but generally go upwards and is not that difficult to track approximate number of vehicles built per quarter based on VIN number change. And why does Tesla want to keep "number of vehicles built per QTR" private anyway?

What does this mean? From what I can see VINs may be somewhat out of order if we look day by day but generally go upwards and is not that difficult to track approximate number of vehicles built per quarter based on VIN number change. And why does Tesla want to keep "number of vehicles built per QTR" private anyway?
Here is a good example:
12/29/2021 Model Y LR
One person receives VIN 339, the next person receives VIN 345, and the third VIN 346.
Good luck tracking deliveries.

Give your SA a call or text. They were able to confirm that I had the AMD chip before I picked up the car, so they weren’t lying. My car was built on 1/6.

Reactions: mecjacob
Here is a good example:
12/29/2021 Model Y LR
One person receives VIN 339, the next person receives VIN 345, and the third VIN 346.
Good luck tracking deliveries.
Looks close enough to me if I am tracking number of vehicles built per quarter.

I know nothing about car manufacturing but would think it is complex with many steps and could result in VINs issued in order at start of production come out slightly out of order at end of production. And it seems more likely this is what is happening and not some elaborate scheme by Tesla to keep production numbers a secret.