Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some advise needed for a long road trip with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are going on a road trip from San Francisco to Vancouver Canada during Thanksgiving week.

- Since Model S does not has a lot of interior storage, what do you guys recommend I get before the trip for storage? A backpack, seat back organizer (any recommendations?), just the trunk space without the parcel shelf, or something else? With 2 kids (thankfully not needing car seats anymore), we are going to need plenty of storage inside the car to hold their ipads, headphones, books, crayons, tissues, snacks, charging cables, water bottles, trash etc.

- What else should I be carrying with me for the trip specific to Tesla? I already have the flat tire Tesla repair kit and will be carrying my UMC with all the charging adapters that I might need (14-30, 10-30, 14-50, J1772) in case of an emergency.

- Do you guys know if the SuperCharger network is going to be extremely busy around that time given the Thanksgiving long weekend?

Thanks!

iPads are the best invention for parents to have a quiet car, but I realized they have taken most of the adventure out of it for my kiddos. I recently implemented an hour on/ hour off rotation for electronics use on a long drive through New England. Looking out the real window at the real fall colors was better for them than being glued to a fake window of a Minecraft world. There was lots of complaining initially but later they were able to tell me about a lot of neat things they saw.

iPads are the best invention for parents to have a quiet car, but I realized they have taken most of the adventure out of it for my kiddos. I recently implemented an hour on/ hour off rotation for electronics use on a long drive through New England. Looking out the real window at the real fall colors was better for them than being glued to a fake window of a Minecraft world. There was lots of complaining initially but later they were able to tell me about a lot of neat things they saw.
I have a rule that the iPad is OK on a motorway, but not in country road or suburbia. Works out pretty well, and not much for them to see on the motorway.
Also they have to be watching something I’m enjoying hearing :) Gravity Falls is great.

Benadryl works well too.
"Someone I know" once got some trazadone pills mixed up in a bottle of antibiotics. For several weeks this "friend" was taking sleeping pills three or four times per day unknowingly while working on rebuilding his deck with the help of his best friend. This person thought death must be near - not only was the bug he was suffering from hanging on mysteriously, he needed long naps several times per day. Finally one day it occurred to him to Google the pill markings - and "oops."

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
Benadryl works well too.

Not always. With some kids, Benadryl makes them hyper (happened to one of my co-workers). If one wants to try this, test it out first.

On OP's list of Tesla supplies, I'd add windshield-cleaning stuff...won't be stopping at gas stations. (I like Stoner's Invisible Glass, but use what works for you.)

Bruce.

Not always. With some kids, Benadryl makes them hyper (happened to one of my co-workers). If one wants to try this, test it out first.

On OP's list of Tesla supplies, I'd add windshield-cleaning stuff...won't be stopping at gas stations. (I like Stoner's Invisible Glass, but use what works for you.)

Bruce.
hah, I never intentionally gave my kids Benadryl to knock them out, but on the rare times that we have to give it to them, it works better than sleeping pills. Never knew it could make them hyper.

I got kangaroo pouches and installed them into the seat backs. Great for everyday life but essential for road trips. The webbing has stayed strong after 1 year. Should last 5+.

Kangaroo Pockets: Seat Back Mesh Storage for 2012 - 2016 Tesla Model S (Set of Two)

(its on sale!)

I also got some storage bin solution for the trunk that allows me to pack food and water bottles securely in the footwell without stuff sliding around. It also helps pin the two side wells' content (because they are all connected).

I got a different one than the link (it was for a truck but it fit) but I can't find my purchase information...anyways this will do the trick.

Trunk Organizer for Tesla Model S

We love taking road trips with the model S and we love the all glass roof. Instead we converse and play games (and take naps). AP is really a boon because I can participate a bit more in the conversation and games than normal. I can still focus on driving but it alleviates the burden. We find the time flies and we get regular 3-4 hour breaks to supercharge which helps burn off some of that energy and promotes circulation. So I find the entire experience wonderful. With added storage all around, we bring books for those that can read while in a car (I get motion sickness) and snacks and water (there are 6 cupholders so that helps). I stuff snacks into the console storage bin past the 2 cup holders (if you have it configured as cup holders). Napkins and tissues in the flip storage. Even the glove compartment is handy on road trips (we store silverware and whatnot because we avoid fast food if possible).

Camping in the S instead of hotels is also quite pleasant. A queen airmattress fills the trunk+rear seat folded down area. Depends on where you are but your route might be favorable.

serious is irrelevant, it is a repulsive statement.

The humor was also lost on me but I don't usually comment on what others find funny. Some things, though, are offensive. Its an arbitrary line to draw as its subjective.

Back on topic, I also recommend getting two 2 gallon jugs of water (we have a whole house RO system and a second additional filtration for our drinking water). You can refill it if you somehow drink them but that's usually enough water for us and they fit in the side wells (you can fit 2 side by side if you get the square shaped bottles).

Not all superchargers are located near food nor will the food necessarily be palatable. Read up on plugshare and map out your intended stops beforehand. Monitor your energy use with the trip feature of the energy monitor. I find that I can easily and more accurately calculate when I need to charge as compared to nav which is way too conservative and sometimes choose bad Superchargers (way off highway vs. ones closer and other odd choices). Nav is useful but its not great.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
The humor was also lost on me but I don't usually comment on what others find funny. Some things, though, are offensive. Its an arbitrary line to draw as its subjective.

Back on topic, I also recommend getting two 2 gallon jugs of water (we have a whole house RO system and a second additional filtration for our drinking water). You can refill it if you somehow drink them but that's usually enough water for us and they fit in the side wells (you can fit 2 side by side if you get the square shaped bottles).

Not all superchargers are located near food nor will the food necessarily be palatable. Read up on plugshare and map out your intended stops beforehand. Monitor your energy use with the trip feature of the energy monitor. I find that I can easily and more accurately calculate when I need to charge as compared to nav which is way too conservative and sometimes choose bad Superchargers (way off highway vs. ones closer and other odd choices). Nav is useful but its not great.

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm going on a 10-12 hr trip myself in a couple of weeks. I had planned on using evtripplanner or abetterplanner.

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm going on a 10-12 hr trip myself in a couple of weeks. I had planned on using evtripplanner or abetterplanner.
Click the energy button, then click on trip. It'll show you how your expected energy usage between stops (if you're using the onboard nav to go from supercharger A to supercharger B, it'll show you with what SOC you'll arrive and if you're above/below target).

It's useful, but they added the destination SOC to the map, so I don't use it that much anymore. Basically, if you're speeding and you continue to see arrival SOC decreasing, you probably want to slow down.

Also consider either paper maps or downloading maps to your phone. There are times when you have detours in unfamiliar territory and if you have no data connection you can get lost pretty quickly. In an ICE this isn't as big of a deal, since you can usually find a gas station even if the most remote of places, in a Tesla you need to be able to get back on known roads to ensure that you will have the ability to recharge. Google Maps allows for offline storage of maps, as do a bunch of other map apps (I used Backcountry Navigator).

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB and ishareit
those are very good planning tools but get the www.plugshare.com app for your phone and if you find yourself way off the beaten path www.rvparky.com could become a handy tool. get a few good extension cords and be ready for adventure. btw if you find yourself at an rv park ask for their 50 amp service most have no idea what 14-50 means.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit