Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Ys and all but 1 model 3 are left in my quad state area. Amazing. There were a few dozen a few days ago.

Update: and 5 just reappeared???
Same in Seattle area, there were more than 30 MY and 20 M3 available on Dec 21 and all gone in the next day. I even see people rush to the pickup location at same day(Dec22) when he placed the order.

The company is floundering, Elon wasted his time appeasing Nazis, supremicists and outright lying sacks of you know what. And now he told an ex employee it needs to be re-written? Thousands of lines of code and many man years of work and it needs to be re-written? He is absolutely nuts Aspergers or not.
And if they really start to collapse forget about getting your car repaired at the service center. Still waiting on 2 recalls
Right. I guess that's why all the 3s and Ys are now gone in the DC region. No demand.

• Funny
Reactions: GoodKarma
I bought a new MYP and picked it up on the 21st (from existing inventory). They announced the amount of the credit from $3750 to $7500 literally the next day. This gave me extreme buyer's remorse lol, so I reached out to Tesla. They replied that since I picked up the car on the 21st, I qualified for the other $3750. It's possible they officially (but did not announce) the increase on the 21st and that's why I "qualify". I am not sure.
I do understand why they are doing this. EVERYBODY (including me) canceled their orders when they found out the government would be bringing back the $7500 credit starting January 1st. (As a side note, as an extra incentive to buy the Y they offered to (and did) refund the previous $250 I lost when I cancelled.)
So, if you take possession of a 3 or Y this month you get the same amount you'd get from the government *PLUS* 10k free SC miles.
No reason to wait as long as you can pull it off by the time the ball drops. :)

Reactions: Mk30 and dudelah
It's not quite worth $2500. 10K miles equals about 3300 kWh, which are priced differently based on the time of day the charging is done. Maybe an average price is about 30 cents per kWh? 3300 x 30 cents is about $1,000 or so...

'Not quite' in your world is 40%. As in, every $100 you give me, I give you $40 back. You not quite get your money back. We should do this every day.

However, I expect Tesla to use EPA to calculate the 10k miles. That is about 250 Wh/mile in a Model Y, so 2500 kWh. Using 30¢ per kWh, it is about $750 of Supercharger credits and not $2,500. Someone over-estimated the value of the credits by 333%

The above ignores a few details:
  • The credits are good for 2 years. Some people travel 5,000 Supercharger miles annually; I certainly do not.
  • Supercharging is harder on the battery and will cause more degradation than charging on L2. To be blunt, charging at a Supercharger simply to use the credit is a false economy and waste of time for the car owner; and to make matters worse, adds congestion at the Supercharger network.
Good marketing perhaps, but the entire affair is asinine.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a deep dive there. While I do think Elon is ready for admission to the loony bin, I want to trust that the BOD of Tesla will know when it is time to throw Mr. Musk's towel in and boot him the he** out of the company for good. We may be getting close. But I don't share in the doom and gloom of placing candles and flowers at Tesla & Co.'s grave site just yet. There's enough going on that is good, with or without Mr. Musk's input, that I believe Tesla will survive for quite some time. Delorean is still a thing, and what now, 30+ years? And he himself is long dead.
He owns the largest number of shares and most of the BOD do whatever he wants. Eg. Lachlan Murdoch (Yes - Rupert's son) and other overpaid "geniuses"

I bought a new MYP and picked it up on the 21st (from existing inventory). They announced the amount of the credit from $3750 to $7500 literally the next day. This gave me extreme buyer's remorse lol, so I reached out to Tesla. They replied that since I picked up the car on the 21st, I qualified for the other $3750. It's possible they officially (but did not announce) the increase on the 21st and that's why I "qualify". I am not sure.
I do understand why they are doing this. EVERYBODY (including me) canceled their orders when they found out the government would be bringing back the $7500 credit starting January 1st. (As a side note, as an extra incentive to buy the Y they offered to (and did) refund the previous $250 I lost when I cancelled.)
So, if you take possession of a 3 or Y this month you get the same amount you'd get from the government *PLUS* 10k free SC miles.
No reason to wait as long as you can pull it off by the time the ball drops. :)
Their site clearly mentions the $7500 credit is effective between December 21 and December 31, that is the reason you qualify. Attached is a screenshot from Tesla's site.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 5.16.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 5.16.06 PM.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: WyoDude
'Not quite' in your world is 40%. As in, every $100 you give me, I give you $40 back. You not quite get your money back. We should do this every day.

However, I expect Tesla to use EPA to calculate the 10k miles. That is about 250 Wh/mile in a Model Y. So the credited kWh are around 2500 kWh. Using 30¢ per kWh, it is about $750 of Supercharger credits and not $2,500. Someone over-estimated the value of the credits by 333%

The above ignores a few details:
  • The credits are good for 2 years. Some people travel 5,000 Supercharger miles annually; I certainly do not.
  • Supercharging is harder on the battery and will cause more degradation than charging on L2. To be blunt, charging at a Supercharger simply to use the credit is a false economy and waste of time for the car owner; and to make matters worse, adds congestion at the Supercharger network.
Good marketing perhaps, but the entire affair is asinine.
I disagree. It incentivizes people that may not yet have a home charger but can get the car today and not stress about range for a little while. Also people with older teslas they may want to road trip a lot and may be more inclined to trade-up.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Picked up my MYLR last Friday 12/16 and received the $3,750 discount + 10,000 supercharger miles. I sent a text the delivery people and there is no additional discount for those who picked up their cars before Dec 21. Takes some of the excitement out of this great new car.

I found a blue with white interior and it was snagged up by the time i try to add my card details. insane that so many people are willing to throw in 60-70k in a vehicle instantly.

i ended up buying some shares instead.. looks like demand is strong.

Reactions: hakunamattata
The company is floundering, Elon wasted his time appeasing Nazis, supremicists and outright lying sacks of you know what. And now he told an ex employee it needs to be re-written? Thousands of lines of code and many man years of work and it needs to be re-written? He is absolutely nuts Aspergers or not.
And if they really start to collapse forget about getting your car repaired at the service center. Still waiting on 2 recalls
As a very experienced software engineer and architect on systems that span in the milllons of lines of code, in many cases it is far better and easier to toss out entire libriaries of existing code and start over. Trying to fix poorly designed spagetti messes piece by piece in a kludgey system can take 2-3x longer in some cases. Just rewrite it from scratch and do it write using lessons learned from the previous botched attempt.

Reactions: wtlloyd and tangers