Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some delivery info from Siry in TTAC article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Tesla Birth Watch 44: Tesla Talks Transmission Troubles to TTAC | The Truth About Cars

The Article focuses on comments about the transmission, but I'm more interested in the production/delivery info.

Siry also mentioned that he'll be in Monaco next week, showing production car number four before it's shipped to the states and placed in the loving arms of its more-than-patient owner. This led us to wonder: if car number four will be ready to show off next week, what happened to Tesla Roadsters two and three? Have they been delivered yet? If not, where are they in the pipeline? And how long before they'll be on the streets? Over to you, Daryl…
Siry respoinds:
The second and third cars are in Hethel and will shortly be sent stateside for delivery, which will start in the coming weeks.
Some of the cars have custom work specified which adds a little to the process.
While the production schedule is regular, the deliveries in the states will occur more in batches because in the long term we will be shipping cars over in batches, not one at a time.
When they come over by ship the Journey is 6 weeks. We will choose to fly some cars over for various reasons.

Interesting that Tesla is going to use a US customer's car (P4) for promotion in Europe when US customers have been waiting so long to get them. I wonder who's car that is.

I don't think waiting is necessarily bad. Delays are expected to happen. The problem as I see it is that Tesla has been holding customers' money for so long, interest free. I guess Tesla needs the cash at this point, given that they are now soliciting $60K from 2009 buyers and I guess will soon be taking money from European customers. This is fine as long as customers know what their getting in to. However, it's a little inconsistent in that at the beginning (back in 2006??), Tesla said they were reluctant to take customer money, but enthusiastic customers essentially forced them to.

At any rate, I'm excited to hear of some progress on the production line. Really eager to see some pictures. :smile:

If I recall correctly the first cars were part of the Founder series, and thus it might be someone relatively internal to Tesla who drives or works with Roadster prototypes regularily and hence don't mind an extra week of wait, or Tesla simply payed the person enough money to rent the car for a week ?

Cobos

PS: Didn't see this thread before I answered in the other one.

I think the interesting thing Siry said was that the fourth car would be with him to Monaco next weekend. That means that if I can count Martins car should be finished and swimming across the atlantic onboard a ship (or possible waiting at some dock somewhere). And this means the rate is around 1-2 weeks per car atm.

Cobos

Daryl says some of the cars have "custom work." We know Martin's car has orange racing stripes. Not sure about any other custom stuff. Given that, it's hard to say how much longer it will be.

If I recall correctly the first cars were part of the Founder series, and thus it might be someone relatively internal to Tesla who drives or works with Roadster prototypes regularily and hence don't mind an extra week of wait, or Tesla simply payed the person enough money to rent the car for a week ?
That makes sense... I had forgotten about the Founders' series. Has it been published how many cars that includes and who gets them?
It's a bit ironic as the actual founders have since been forced out of the company.

Interesting that Tesla is going to use a US customer's car (P4) for promotion in Europe when US customers have been waiting so long to get them. I wonder who's car that is.

Given that there will be 24 Founders Series cars reserved for investors, I would imagine that the owner of P4 would be very interested in promoting the car in Europe. If I had millions invested I think I would be willing to wait a few extra days in the interest of expanding the market. Who knows maybe the car will be flown back afterward and be here before the others.

Pretty sure the 6 weeks was if they're transported by boat. Pretty sure some of those first few will come by plane. Dunno what's the story with Martin's car.

I have had the feeling that they would complete several cars prior to delivering #2. That way they can have a grand car delivery event without including Martin. Also it would seem that the custom paint job gives them a plausible reason to do so.

Tesla in Monaco

Well, I assume this is VP4. EDIT: Apparently it's VIN F004 (P4?). Silver exterior.

monaco_1.jpg

Odd interior versus exterior color choice if you ask me. The seats/door panels look pretty awesome, though.

And now, with out further ado.... a close-up of Bono:
monaco_6.jpg

Tesla Motors - feel

Last edited:
Well, I assume this is VP4.

Odd interior versus exterior color choice if you ask me. The seats/door panels look pretty awesome, though.
I don't think that's VP4, I think it's Production #4, no doubt part of the Founders' Series. Not sure who's car that is, exactly, but whoever it is either lives in Europe or is willing to wait a few more days for their car to be delivered for the sake of good European press.

The color mix makes me think of ice cream with chocolate and strawberry sauce. Yum :)

If this is #4, my guess is that #2 and #3 (and maybe others) are in the U.S. somewhere, perhaps at the Tesla Store that's opening on Thursday...

Should be some interesting blogs out there by this time next week ;)

-Ryan

I don't think that's VP4, I think it's Production #4, no doubt part of the Founders' Series. Not sure who's car that is, exactly, but whoever it is either lives in Europe or is willing to wait a few more days for their car to be delivered for the sake of good European press.n

Well Siry had said that P4 and a VP would be there. Originally I had guessed P4. But then I saw this in the Tesla Twitter:
Twitter / TeslaMotors"off to the Cleantech Forum in Brussels with VP4 (engineering car, white color) "

So I edited the post to be VP4 since I guessed that P4 wasn't also white.

The silver car is VIN F004. We brought VP 12 to Monaco as well (black/black) but had it outside for test drives for clients. VIN F004 stayed inside. We are in Brussels now with VP4 (white/black) at the Cleantech Forum where I am speaking on a panel.

Lots going on, and I apologize for not communicating more but I have to steal minutes here and there between other obligations.

Thanks for clearing that up, Darryl. I thought it might be silver, but then assumed it was white after that Twitter (a little hard to tell since many of the CCD pixels are saturated). I didn't consider that you guys had Roadsters all over the place. :smile:

So is that the new designation now, by the VIN? Elon's P1 had a VIN ending in F00001. Are the Signature 100 designated VIN S###? I suppose it's a good idea to make that transition since VIN S001 would be P25 or whatever.

Last edited:
Darryl,

Thanks for the info and the pics. Looks like it was a fun show, and the Europeans are just as exicited about the car as we are here in the "colonies".

I was wondering, since VIN F004 would normally get the ESS installed in CA, what did you guys do to keep it from sitting too high? Did you ship an ESS from CA, and install it in Bethel, or load it with ballast, or what? Just curious.

I'm guessing the F in VIN F004 is for founders series?