Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some dumb home-charging questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are probably basic questions so I apologize in advance, but super appreciative of any input!

1. Telsa used to have a link on the account page where you could see recommended local electricians. Since the site re-design I've not been able to find that...is that available somewhere or have they stopped doing this? (If so, anyone have recommendations in San Diego?)

2. Tesla still sells the 14-50 Gen1 Mobile charging cord for $520 on their site, but the Gen2 Mobile charging cord you can buy (plus a 14-50 adapter) for $310 total. I've heard the Gen2 is safer...and I assume they're the same speed. Is there something that makes the Gen1 worth the extra money?

3. When it comes to getting an outlet installed, is 14-50 the way to go, or is 6-50 recommended now? Is either cheaper or safer in any way?

Thanks!

1) Find an Electrician
2) They are not the same speed. Gen 2 is 32A, Gen 1 is 40A. I would just go with the included one--especially if you're not buying a long-range vehicle, in which case you are limited to 32A anyway (48A for LR). [Edit - I see you have an LR AWD. I'd still stick with the included, or get an HPWC and set it up to charge you at the full 48A. But that's me!]
3) 14-50 is the general recommendation if you're going with an outlet rather than the HPWC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Shadnic
...When it comes to getting an outlet installed, is 14-50 the way to go, or is 6-50 recommended now? Is either cheaper or safer in any way?

They are both safe.

In theory, 14-50 is more expensive because it uses 4 wires while 6-50 only uses 3 wires.

If you go camping and when an RV park lists 50A available, that's 14-50 and not 6-50 so you save by buying 1 adapter for both home and RV parks instead of 2 different ones.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Shadnic
1. I don't know. I installed my own circuits.

2.The Gen1 is capable of up to 40A. That's 80% of a 50A circuit per National Electric Code. Apparently some 50A receptacles were installed on 40A circuits in Canada making it unsafe to use the Gen1 at 40A in Canada. The Gen1 can be bought used for much less than new. I have 2. If you have a LR Model 3 you can charge up to 40A.
Gen2 is limited to 32A (80% of 40A) so will not be capable of charging a LR model at 40A.

3.I installed 6-50's because it is cheaper. The 6-50 uses no neutral so saves wire and for me with about a 100 ft run that's important. I know of no EV that requires a neutral for charging. If your panel is near where you are putting the receptacle, it makes little difference.

I have dialed my Model 3 Performance back to charge at 30A because I don't need any more than that and it makes the whole circuit run cooler. I have driven it 10,000 miles in the past 12 months. Very little Supercharging so far so about all of that is at home.

I usually leave the Gen1 at home my Gen2 lives in the car.

3.I installed 6-50's because it is cheaper. The 6-50 uses no neutral so saves wire and for me with about a 100 ft run that's important. I know of no EV that requires a neutral for charging. If your panel is near where you are putting the receptacle, it makes little difference.

The panel is actually in the room above my garage, so it needs to come through the floor, across the ceiling a bit, and down the wall. I think it should still be fairly easy, but if that length makes a significant difference in difficulty then that's something to consider...

I park in the right hand side of my garage so I came in from the ceiling and used a 2X6 to mount the outlet, bike drink bottle holder and hook.
IMG_20190212_082458.jpg

You can also see the garage door opener and 120V cord reel which is really handy around the garage.

Thank you all SO much for the advice - this helps a lot!

One last question - I've only charged my car in the moment (aka plug it in - get power). Is there the ability in the app to delay or schedule your charging sessions for specific times (like at night when energy is cheaper?). I know some other home chargers are wifi connected and let you do this via the charger. I assume in Teslas it's built into the car's software somewhere, I've just never used that feature myself.

Thank you all SO much for the advice - this helps a lot!

One last question - I've only charged my car in the moment (aka plug it in - get power). Is there the ability in the app to delay or schedule your charging sessions for specific times (like at night when energy is cheaper?). I know some other home chargers are wifi connected and let you do this via the charger. I assume in Teslas it's built into the car's software somewhere, I've just never used that feature myself.
Yes. You can schedule the charge. All the EV's I've ever owned have had a built-in timer, but with the Tesla, the setting is location specific, so it won't interfere with charging other places. I use it because I'm on SDG&Es TOU-EV5 plan so I get super-off peak rates from 12AM-6AM (12AM-2PM on weekends).

• Helpful
Reactions: Dmagyar and Shadnic
For the small cost of the neutral wire, a 14-50 gives you a lot more flexibility later. In case you desire to use that wire run for another purpose (subpanel, RV hookup, 120V plugs, etc...) - the 14-50 will give you an available neutral wire. the 6-50 will never allow you to use an 120V fixture there.

Reactions: Dmagyar
I park in the right hand side of my garage so I came in from the ceiling and used a 2X6 to mount the outlet, bike drink bottle holder and hook.
View attachment 461540
You can also see the garage door opener and 120V cord reel which is really handy around the garage.

This is bloody GENIUS! I was looking at ways to charge whether I pulled in forwards or backed in and ceiling never crossed my mind, DOH! . I will be making some changes tonight to my setup, THANK YOU! :)

Reactions: Big Ike
Do note that the Gen 1 unit Tesla still sells is the corded Mobile Connector. It has a fixed 14-50 plug on it (not interchangeable). The CMC has a 40a limit just like the other Gen 1 units with adapters, but it is just safer since it does not have that added connection point. This is worth calling out since it is a difference between what you buy new from Tesla vs buying used online.

I personally am a huge fan of the Wall Connector for home charging, but that is just me! If cost is not the primary driving factor I highly recommend it (and compared to buying a second UMC it is nearly a wash in cost).

Also note that the Gen1 Mobile Connector is marked as out of stock on Tesla's site. I haven't watched it closely, but I believe it's been out of stock for months, so it may have been discontinued. It might still be possible to pick one up used, but personally, I'd favor a Wall Connector or even a third-party EVSE rather than try to track down a Gen1 Mobile Connector, unless I was desperate to get the extra 8 amps when traveling. The Wall Connector is $500, vs. $520 for the Gen1 Mobile Connector, although if you've already got a NEMA 14-50 plug, the Wall Connector will cost more to install. A Wall Connector with a 14-50 plug has cropped up from time to time on Tesla's site, but it usually sells out quickly. I don't see one at the moment, but maybe I'm missing it.

Gen2 UMCs directly monitor the temperature at the plug connection, and the pig tail design puts less stress on the plug itself - the cord hangs straight down, instead of coming out for several inches first to make room for the adapter.

So yes, safer.

I don’t think there are many situations where the difference between 32a and 40a charging is important, but as always YMMV.

The Wall Connector is $500, vs. $520 for the Gen1 Mobile Connector, although if you've already got a NEMA 14-50 plug, the Wall Connector will cost more to install. A Wall Connector with a 14-50 plug has cropped up from time to time on Tesla's site, but it usually sells out quickly. I don't see one at the moment, but maybe I'm missing it.

If you do not want to spend money on an electrician for the 80A max wall connector and have a 14-50 receptacle installed and handy, then the 40A Corded Wall Connector is a better deal than the 40A Mobile Corded connector. The Corded Wall Connector is build like a tank and costs $500 instead of $520 for the mobile one.

The problem is that it appears intermittently on Tesla Shop site and sells out rather quickly.

If you do not want to spend money on an electrician for the 80A max wall connector and have a 14-50 receptacle installed and handy, then the 40A Corded Wall Connector is a better deal than the 40A Mobile Corded connector. The Corded Wall Connector is build like a tank and costs $500 instead of $520 for the mobile one.

The problem is that it appears intermittently on Tesla Shop site and sells out rather quickly.

I'll need to have an electrician either way BUT I love the idea of a corded wall connector instead of the mobile one for the garage. I know it's not on Tesla's site currently but anyone know its official name to see if I can pull up the URL manually? Maybe there's an "email when back in stock" option on that page if so...

(also, does it come with a long cable option?)

Last edited:

Wiring the standard wall connector to the existing 50a circuit doesn't really require an electrician. You can either remove the outlet from the existing box and run some flex cable from there into the wall connector, or buy a 50a range cord and wire it to the WC.