Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MS 60 picked up end of Dec, 7000 miles and after a month I notice the 100% mileage drop 1 mile per week now at 203. I got some conflicting answers from Tesla.

1) Try to avoid supercharging as supercharging increase degradation
2) The rated miles are based on driving behavior and can change
3) Software still calibrating

The anecdotal example vs the scientific and mathematical analysis offered by other users.

Whose anecdotal example? Which analysis? By whom?

I don't know if you are suggesting that the new 60 will not degrade:
1) because it is never charged to true 100%, or
2) because the software limitation allows a charge to a certain kWh level instead of a certain percentage of the current unrestricted capacity of the pack.

There is plenty of evidence that 2) is not accurate, and I doubt any scientific and mathematical analysis is going to support 1).

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a MS 60 picked up end of Dec, 7000 miles and after a month I notice the 100% mileage drop 1 mile per week now at 203. I got some conflicting answers from Tesla.

1) Try to avoid supercharging as supercharging increase degradation
2) The rated miles are based on driving behavior and can change
3) Software still calibrating

I got my 60 in August. I also charge to 100% and have a little over 7K mi now. My rated range after a full charge was 210 during the first month, but has gradually gone down. It's now at 202/203. My lifetime efficiency right now is 293 wh/mi.

I got my 60 in August. I also charge to 100% and have a little over 7K mi now. My rated range after a full charge was 210 during the first month, but has gradually gone down. It's now at 202/203. My lifetime efficiency right now is 293 wh/mi.

So weird. Same parameters, same location and I went from 212 brand new to 208-209 nowadays. Always 100% charge, mostly via supercharger....

So weird. Same parameters, same location and I went from 212 brand new to 208-209 nowadays. Always 100% charge, mostly via supercharger....

Was in for annual service on my 60D today and discussed just this. The initial range is just a factory default. Over time, the car calculates something more accurate based on all kinds of parameters. Charging to 100%, via supercharger or home should not affect anything on the software limited 60.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3

Yeah, it is. I actually live in Fremont (about 10 minutes from the factory), but work in Sunnyvale. :)

What is you lifetime consumption?

My charging is mostly at home through a JuiceBox (40A/240V). I supercharge maybe once a month.

Was in for annual service on my 60D today and discussed just this. The initial range is just a factory default. Over time, the car calculates something more accurate based on all kinds of parameters. Charging to 100%, via supercharger or home should not affect anything on the software limited 60.

Hmmm, does that mean the GOM is calculating the 202 number for me after a 100% charge based on my driving habits? My lifetime efficiency is 293 wh/mi, which means 3.41 mi/kWh. If we go by a usable capacity of 62.4kwh for the software-limited 60, that'd mean ~212 of range. I know obviously overnight, I lose a mile or two as the car sits in the garage.

I usually realistically get 180-190 mi with 2/3 freeway driving and losses over the workweek, as I charge to 100% on Sunday night and my round-trip daily commute is 30 miles. When I first got my MS, I thought one charge would last me for 5 days or 150 mi. But, by the time I get home on Thursday evening, I have 30-40 mi on the GOM and the charge indicator has turned yellow from green with less than 20%.

Hmmm, does that mean the GOM is calculating the 202 number for me after a 100% charge based on my driving habits?
The Tesla algorithm has not been published so it would be pure speculation to confirm your assumption. Keep in mind the battery is used for more than just driving (computers/network/battery heating/cooling/12v charging/...). Over the course of several days I would think those items would eat some range while you are not driving.

Yeah, it is. I actually live in Fremont (about 10 minutes from the factory), but work in Sunnyvale. :)

My charging is mostly at home through a JuiceBox (40A/240V). I supercharge maybe once a month.

IMG_0322.JPG

Reactions: ssrajputev
Yes, something doesn't sound right with the calculations. I have my MS60D since early December 2016.
  • I had 221 range @100% when new
  • 4 months and 4,000 miles now
  • Charge nightly on HPWC to 90% (only used supercharger twice)
  • My lifetime efficiency is 335 wh/mi
  • Charged last night to 100% and still have 221 range

Since Jason Hughes hacked the Tesla battery management system a software limit 60 have about usable 62 kWh which is 2 kWh more but for a 75 it only has a usable battery of 72 kWh so one would expect the degradation would be less.
Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs

The service center said their recommendation is against the use of supercharger but data had shown Tesla that frequently supercharge have less battery degradation
Tesla battery data shows path to over 500,000 miles on a single pack

Also service said the rated miles is based on driving habit but most Tesla owners appear to disagreed on that. Because the rated miles only go down but not up.

I just hope one day we can see the actual usable kWh so we no longer need to guess

Reactions: ssrajputev
Have a month old 60D loaner with 508 miles on it. Drove to the North Houston Delivery center to inspect my 'future' car and plugged the loaner into the supercharger out front. As we were traveling later that day, set car for 100%. Car had 220 miles of range completely topped off. Current 'lifetime' efficiency is 308 wh/mi.

The Tesla algorithm has not been published so it would be pure speculation to confirm your assumption. Keep in mind the battery is used for more than just driving (computers/network/battery heating/cooling/12v charging/...). Over the course of several days I would think those items would eat some range while you are not driving.

Yes, that's what I figured about the losses over several days. Makes sense. I did even undo the "auto-adjustment for brightness" option for my touchscreen. I keep it at 8% to limit consumption.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911