Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For now, an older 70 would be at about 343V when charged to 90%. I'll do some tests on a new 75 and see what it's voltages are, and then all we need is someone to report on a new 60.

Thanks! @Ingineer I think it's what we desperately needed. Looking from this forum, nobody post any detail Supercharger data with new 75kw battery fully unlocked.

So, we all built our own consensus and decided the pack is limited on the top end and charging to 100% is all good.
DS and the like agree -- Tesla is mum.
Now Ingineer you are telling me it may be lower end locked and we are all damaging our battery packs? :)
I will have to keep an eye on this thread because I don't know jack sh%$# about my battery pack. (but I am learning) :)
Seriously though it would give the shine on the bargain of a 60kwh a little dulling

That is exactly what I'm saying. People say charging voltage is different than the resting voltage and we need someone with a CAN logger, I get that, but charging voltage reaching 4.2V means that the cells are at trickle charge at that point, which means they're more than 95% full.

I'm also starting believe they're bottom limited. But that doesn't explain later tapering.

Yes, if the charger is over 4.2v/cell then there will be cell damage, so before that happens, the amperage should have tapered enough so the voltage sag (or rise) is immaterial.

On a old 40, 60, 70, new 60, and 75 there are 14 modules with 6 strings in series, so there is a total of 84 in series, so 4.2v/cell is 352.8v.

On the 85/90/100 there are 16 modules for a total of 96 which is 403.2v.

It's not ugly! Looks like a very nice doggy. And I like that your four-legged friend has a choice of muscle milk and ginger ale. :)

She's actually a gorgeous dog, a Dalmation / English Bulldog mix. I talk about how much I hate her and she's ugly, but that's me code for "she's the best". :)

Yeah, wife probably drank too much over the weekend and had an upset stomach. I'm working on losing some weight and getting back in a regular gym schedule so I was on muscle milk :)

Here was the top end at my local Supercharger just before I hit 100% the other day:

99%20percent%20charge.JPG

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is due to a fundamental difference between Tesla and other EV manufacturers... Tesla actually permits you to make use of 100% of your battery if you so choose to do so. This is compared with nearly every other EV, including the Nissan Leaf and the BMW i3. In the case of the 24kWh Leaf, the cars systems actively manage things such that about 21.3 kWh is treated as 100% where in reality it's closer to 90%. It reserves/manages in this manner specifically for battery longitivity. Where as I think Tesla is treating us like adults, warning us about the tribulations of excessive charging, but letting us make our own decisions...

No Tesla keeps a portion of the bottom of the SOC off-limits as an anti-bricking buffer. I think we have heard it is around 5 kWh. The difference is that the Tesla batteries are bigger so you don't notice 5 kWh being unavailable as much.

• Helpful
Reactions: decrypt
Here was the top end at my local Supercharger just before I hit 100% the other day:
If that's a 60, then yes, I was correct and 100% is a true 100%. Do not charge to that level unless you need it, just as on all other models. I recommend a 100% charge occasionally, like at least 3-4 times a year to get the pack balanced, just schedule it so it doesn't SIT long at 100%. The time it sits fully charged equates to more degradation.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
If that's a 60, then yes, I was correct and 100% is a true 100%. Do not charge to that level unless you need it, just as on all other models. I recommend a 100% charge occasionally, like at least 3-4 times a year to get the pack balanced, just schedule it so it doesn't SIT long at 100%. The time it sits fully charged equates to more degradation.
Yep, it's a new 60. I only charge to 100% when I need the range.