Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Feature Questions answered (Sat radio, dual charger, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure the antenna is either in the glass or the frame around the glass. So the shade should not block the signal.

You're welcome, my Tesla rep was quite responsive to my questions and it sure cut a lot of the idle speculation out of the equation on these issues. As Mycroft stated, my impression was that the antenna was built into the glass (probably around the perimeter) and thuse is not affected by the shade.

Hi Guys,

It just seems logical to me if the antenna can be put in the glass or frame around the glass of the panoramic roof without interferring with the satellite signal, Tesla could just as easily placed it in the glass or frame around of the front windshield and avoided an embarrassing perception of price gouging.

Larry

Hi Guys,

It just seems logical to me if the antenna can be put in the glass or frame around the glass of the panoramic roof without interferring with the satellite signal, Tesla could just as easily placed it in the glass or frame around of the front windshield and avoided an embarrassing perception of price gouging.

Larry
I think there are a multitude of options that they could have chose...I'm pretty ticked about it too, but will probably just go with some after market product. The only other thought I had was that I suspect that if you went for the upgraded stereo system alone that there is likely an antenna jack at the back of the head unit and that you could buy an after market antenna and run it to the dash (forward most central area) or to the roof (if you don't mind the pretty roof line being broken up a little). That "should" get you access to XM through the OEM stereo (in theory) for "only" $1000...that and the improved audio system in general might be worth the added expense and I "might" be able to talk my wife into that...but the roof--no way.

It could be that it's not possible to incorporate the antenna into the windscreen or the dash because the roof of the car would block the satellite too often. Otherwise why are all the other mfrs using shark fins if they could just use the front window?

It could be that it's not possible to incorporate the antenna into the windscreen or the dash because the roof of the car would block the satellite too often. Otherwise why are all the other mfrs using shark fins if they could just use the front window?
Using an antenna on the dash works well in 95% of situations, but if you're driving North the vehicle and roof can block the signal, which is why the roof is a preferable location (within a shark fin or otherwise. But I've used dash mounted Sat antennae often enough to know that it gives a reasonable signal most of the time.

Personally, I would probably pay to have a professional radio installer do this install so the wire would be hidden and all the parts went back together properly. But if the head unit is satellite-ready I think just using an aftermarket antenna is going to be the way to go.