Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some free Premium Connectivity and MCU upgrade questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks. Trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge:

1. If Additional Vehicle Information screen shows "Tegra" that means MCU1, right?

2. What are the limitations of having FSD but on MCU1?

3. If MCU1 is upgraded, I assume the cost now is, $25XX+... What happens to the State of Premium Connectivity for free?

4. What are the downsides and upsides of MCU upgrade for infotainment components of the car? I hear you lose FM/AM radio?

5. If Free Unlimited Supercharging impacted at all by MCU upgrade?

Thank you for your help in advance!

3. If MCU1 is upgraded, I assume the cost now is, $25XX+... What happens to the State of Premium Connectivity for free?
- No impact to premium connectivity. It it was free before, will continue to be free after the MCU1 to MCU2 update.

4. What are the downsides and upsides of MCU upgrade for infotainment components of the car? I hear you lose FM/AM radio?
- You do lose FM/AM radio. There is an option to get the FM tuner replaced for an additional $500, but no option to get back AM.
- How much of an issue this is varies greatly by the individual. Many stream radio stations over TuneIn or other internet means.
- You can find many threads that speak to the benefits. New main and dash screens, higher refresh rate on screens, improved
internet browser functionality, theater mode works for many services, etc.

- No impact to free unlimited supercharging. If you had it before, you'll have it afterwards.
I personally chose to update in Dec 2021 and find that navigation significantly faster, which was worth it for me.

Reactions: Fragger
1. Right.
2. I don't think MCU1 FSD is eligible for FSD beta yet. The instrument cluster with FSD & MCU2 has an option for a more expansive view of the lines and vehicles around you. I like it. I also upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 and felt it was worth it. I didn't bother with the FM radio, although you can do that upgrade at a later time if you change your mind.

Attachments

• P1140405 example.jpg
    P1140405 example.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 166
Hello folks. Trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge:

1. If Additional Vehicle Information screen shows "Tegra" that means MCU1, right?

2. What are the limitations of having FSD but on MCU1?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Keep in mind there is currently a bug affecting MCU2 audio performance.

1. Right.
2. I don't think MCU1 FSD is eligible for FSD beta yet. The instrument cluster with FSD & MCU2 has an option for a more expansive view of the lines and vehicles around you. I like it. I also upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 and felt it was worth it. I didn't bother with the FM radio, although you can do that upgrade at a later time if you change your mind.
Very helpful response! As I searched the topic, seems like MCU1 folks are eligible for FSD beta now?

As I look for the older Ss with Free Premium Connectivity and such that actually have FSD, I'm failing to understand why people would buy FSD without the MCU upgrade? Isn't it nearly useless without it?

Additionally, YouTube and such doesn't work without MCU either right?
Keep in mind there is currently a bug affecting MCU2 audio performance.
Can you expand on that, my friend?

- You do lose FM/AM radio. There is an option to get the FM tuner replaced for an additional $500
I was initially quoted $1,750 for the infotainment upgrade. Then I received a $2,250 estimate including the FM tuner. I replied that I didn't want the tuner and that it was never discussed. Tesla replied that "due to the age of the car" the FM tuner is required. Is this right? I can't find any reference to this on Tesla's site.

I was initially quoted $1,750 for the infotainment upgrade. Then I received a $2,250 estimate including the FM tuner. I replied that I didn't want the tuner and that it was never discussed. Tesla replied that "due to the age of the car" the FM tuner is required. Is this right? I can't find any reference to this on Tesla's site.
Never heard this before, but could be a policy change. When I updated my MCU1 to MCU2 (a 2016 S) I did not buy the radio. At the time the retrofit was $2500. If I had waited a few months, it dropped to $2250. I also had FSD and the HW3 AP processor upgrade done earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Just pick up my 2016 X 90D from service after upgrade. In order they put both - MCU upgrade for 1750 and 500 for radio (I have AP 1.0). I just remove radio from order on my app without any problem. Drop car last Sat., got loaner and pick up car today - Wed. During upgrade technitian note “DSP issue detected which result loss of audio from all sources” (digital sound processing). They probably change it too and this is why it took so long. When I pick up car today I start cheking everything right in the shop. Let’s guess - my theater page was … blank. I addressed this issue to technician. He remotely connected to my car from his laptop and fix it right away (took 5 min or less). After this YouTube, Netflix and rest of app appears on my screen.
But still have some small issue. Metallic frame around main screen has multiple scratches and dents. They took pictures of these and promised me speak with manager tomorrow and contact me after all. Hopefully they will change this frame.
My advise - check everything before leaving the shop. Internet, browser, all apps, Apple Music etc. Be sure all panels mounted back properly and no additional damage to interior.

In order they put both - MCU upgrade for 1750 and 500 for radio (I have AP 1.0). I just remove radio from order on my app without any problem.

Oddly enough, the FM tuner wasn't listed as a separate line item, so I couldn't remove it in the application. However, when I repeated that I didn't request or want the radio Tesla then removed it. No explanation as to why they previously had said it was required.

Oddly enough, the FM tuner wasn't listed as a separate line item, so I couldn't remove it in the application. However, when I repeated that I didn't request or want the radio Tesla then removed it. No explanation as to why they previously had said it was required.
Congrats. Do your Theater (Netflix, etc), TuneIn, Slacker, and steering wheel voice commands work? I had that issue in my recent MCU2 upgrade. Getting MCU2 upgrade

Congrats. Do your Theater (Netflix, etc), TuneIn, Slacker, and steering wheel voice commands work? I had that issue in my recent MCU2 upgrade. Getting MCU2 upgrade
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, before driving off I only tested Theater and it worked. It turns out that the others are not working. I am going to check the fixes mentioned in the other thread.

Reactions: NV Ray
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, before driving off I only tested Theater and it worked. It turns out that the others are not working. I am going to check the fixes mentioned in the other thread.
They should able to do this remotely. I had theater page… blank. Nothing was there. I point it to technician and he fix it in 5 min from his laptop.

Reactions: NV Ray